Strategies for best internet speeds?

BoisDore

Might anyone have tips for times or locations to get the best speeds out of the wifi connection aboard a QM2 TA?

I think I'd rather wait and travel to a good signal than get frustrated where ever I may be when the fancy to connect strikes.

Avoid trying to connect after breakfast and right before first dinner sitting. These are prime email checking times and the speeds drop to worse than dial up.

The computers in Connexions and in the library have a wired connection and these can be a bit faster since they don't have to go through a wifi hub.

After the late show before bed is often good. Being close to your door helps in some locations.

Close to the door or opening the door can definitely help in cabin connections. It also seems to vary by CPU, my wife's IPAD was picking up the WiFI signal much better than my PC laptop.

Thanks, all.

Yes, iPads are known to have strong wifi radios. Perhaps I'll log on early to download the news and email for offline reading & replying, and then quick moments here and there later to upload.

The cabin attendants might find it strange that I'm standing in the hall waiting for them to being my coffee while the NYTimes downloads.

• 7 months later...
I think I heard that wifi on QM2 is $40 for 2 hour or something horrific. Is this correct? Is there a charge for the computers in the library?

Yes there is a charge for using wifi on the ship. The charge varies with the package you select and your frequent sailor status. The charge is per account, so using a public attached computer in Connexions or in the Library (if they still have them there) will cost the same, but the signal might be better than wifi.

There is also a log off procedure that must be followed to sign out, otherwise your charge can continue even though your not on line.

I hope this helps.

I think I heard that wifi on QM2 is $40 for 2 hour or something horrific. Is this correct? Is there a charge for the computers in the library?

Here are the prices for wifi/internet connectivity which were in effect on QM2 last August.

Pay as you go: $0.75 per minute

2 hours: $47.95

4 hours: $89.95

8 hours: $167.95

There is normally an embarkation special that provides extra minutes if you purchase one of these time plans on the first day of the voyage. That embarkation special typically adds 15 minutes to the 2-hour plan, 25 minutes to the 4-hour plan, and 50 minutes to the 8-hour plan for no additional cost.

And yes, these charges also apply to the computers in the library and the ConneXions computer room.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

But note that starting with your third Cunard cruise Cunard will give you the 2 hour package for free, and increases the time as you move upon Work Club tiers.

I made minimal use of WiFi on my first two cruises. After that I've made good use of the free allocation.

The quoted prices are in line with other lines that have by-the-minute connection pricing. Perhaps after the satellite system gets upgraded they'll be able to offer daily unlimited package pricing but in the meantime the two hour package is usable if you're just grabbing emails and not surfing extensively.

I agree with the others that speed near Connexions is a little better and to avoid peak times like late morning. We've also had better success in the Grills Lounge. Standing in the hall helps a tiny bit. My husband also likes to download the Times and other papers and has been seen tearing out what little hair he has left in frustration. Good luck!