Zika & Cancelling if pregnant

LissyTx

Questions about how both Royal and Travel Insurance would handle.

Have a cruise booked for Feb. Final payment is in Nov. If we happen to get pregnant between final payment and cruise date we are not going due to Zika.

One - will Royal refund you for this reason?

If not, does Royal sell travel insurance and if so is this a reason that you can cancel for and they'll refund / reimburse you?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had this happen for our cruise in March. Booked beginning of January and one week later is when the Zika issue started. At the time we were not pregnant but going through fertility treatment and were advised not to go. We did receive 50% of our money back as we were still within that payment phase and the non refundable portion was given to us in the form of a future cruise credit that had to be used within 2 years. We chose to go to Alaska in May instead and thankfully we cancelled the March Allure cruise because we ended up bringing a very little stowaway with us to Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where do you get 50? It's always been 75

It's never "always been" depending on what policy you buy and from which company

Princess Platinum is 100%

Some companies only provide 50% future cruise credit.

While yes, most offer 75%

We went through this for a sailing that is going this week on the allure. We called and cancelled and tboguh we didn't get a refund, we did get full credit towards a future cruise to be used within 2 years. So we applied it to a new England Canada cruise on this Thursday on the anthem. All they required was a doctors note showing the due date.

So you won't lose your money...but it is spent.

Have a cruise booked for Feb. Final payment is in Nov. If we happen to get pregnant between final payment and cruise date we are not going due to Zika.

If not, does Royal sell travel insurance and if so is this a reason that you can cancel for and they'll refund / reimburse you?

Thanks!!!

It is best to call.

It;s best to call.

Thanks!!!

Depends on the insurance policy.

In general, only complications arising from pregnancy are considered a covered reason.

Thanks for all the replies. I'd be okay with the credit towards a future cruise and some of you made it sound like your whole amount spent was credited which would be awesome. I'll call Royal and also look into the insurance more.

If your booking is in 50% Penalty and you cancel then "for any reason", they are not going to give you a future cruise credit valued at 75% of the entire cruise fare.

they would most likely give you 75% of the 50% of the penalty. You certainly wouldn't be out 50%

It's never "always been" depending on what policy you buy and from which company

Princess Platinum is 100%

Some companies only provide 50% future cruise credit.

While yes, most offer 75%

This is the Royal Caribbean board where the credit is 75% from their insurance which the OP was asking about

Edited by cruisinfanatic

OP - if you DO get pregnant - be mindful of whether you could use the credit in 2 years. The suggestion of switching from a Caribbean cruise to an Alaskan or New England one is a good one while still pregnant but do you want to take a one year old on a cruise? You might and you might not - but make sure you are aware of the 2 year credit and how you could use it if you don't find a different zika policy!

Thanks for all the replies. I'd be okay with the credit towards a future cruise and some of you made it sound like your whole amount spent was credited which would be awesome. I'll call Royal and also look into the insurance more.

Yep, they gave me the whole amount credited towards a future cruise. You just have to show a doctors note to indicate pregnancy and use the credit within 2 years of the date of cancellation.

We used ours now to switch to a new england/canada because we still wanted a babymoon, and we also thought we'd likely won't go on a cruise in the next 2 years with a baby.