Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

I assume you meant to type Carnival will NOT be liable in either case. You may be right, I will apologetically retract my statement. It is not however documented that public carriers such as cruise lines chartered outside the U.S. may stall on providing evidence.

Actually, I typed just what I wanted to say "will be in neither" is the same as "will not be in either". Thanks anyway.

I don't understand your next statement. I never said that it was documented that cruise lines could stall on providing evidence. Since this must be reported to the USCG (since they did the search), and the ship is returning to Charleston, the FBI will be there on arrival, and will be looking for the surveillance video. If there were a significant gap, or a "malfunctioning" camera at the time of the incident, the FBI would not hesitate to hold everyone onboard for questioning, and Carnival certainly would not want that.

Thank you. I knew her family more than her. I haven't seen her since she was a small child :(

I did find out here, while posting on another thread and asking that people please have some compassion and not speculate that this was a suicide. There are several other factors that could cause someone to "jump" rather than intentionally committing suicide.

To all posting on this board - A woman is lost and probably dead! Please have a little respect for Rina and the Patel family and stop all of this baseless speculation. I'm sure you wouldn't want the loss of your family member debated about on the internet in such a callous manner. :mad:

I don't think anyone has been disrespectful. Everyone is just discussing.

I certainly don't mean this in a bad way but I'm curious as to what other reason you think someone would have for jumping overboard other than suicide. Unless of course, the ship was on fire or sinking.

I think most everyone posting has been compassionate and it's very sad for this family but it's human nature to discuss and speculate.

It might be time for you to step away from this thread for your own well being as you seem to be very close to the family and understandably upset.

I believe you are asking for statistics on how often someone survives? Because the statistic for "finding" is different than "surviving". But, given that there is no central clearing house for this data, one can only guess, but I would say the survival rate, even in tropical waters is about 5-10%. Injury from the fall, injury when hitting the water, alcohol, age, fitness, and water temperature are all factors. Even 70*F water can cause hypothermia within 6-12 hours.

And don't forget that "falling" from a great height like deck 10 or 11 or above, only takes a couple of seconds or less to hit the water. That's a speed of 75-90 mph. The impact to the water would most likely render the person severely injured if not killed on impact. It depends on how a person hits the water. Head first with arms extended down or feet first may "slow the stop" a bit, but would certainly break the appendages. Hitting on the back or chest or head, no arms, would in the least render a person unconscious and more likely to drown a very short time later.