Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

No one will be knocked over a railing unless they somehow get out on a closed deck.

I've been walking on the Sports Deck at night when a sudden gust of wind has forcibly pushed me off balance. I've also been on deck while it has been extremely windy, yet the decks have not been closed to passengers. On these occasions, sensing it wasn't safe, I've gone back inside. So, I can certainly see, in a rare instance, how someone could get knocked over a railing, especially if in addition to wind the sea was rough.

I've been walking on the Sports Deck at night when a sudden gust of wind has forcibly pushed me off balance. I've also been on deck while it has been extremely windy, yet the decks have not been closed to passengers. On these occasions, sensing it wasn't safe, I've gone back inside. So, I can certainly see, in a rare instance, how someone could get knocked over a railing, especially if in addition to wind the sea was rough.

Typically, the railings on cruise ships are 4 feet high so even for a tall person that would be waist high. It would have to be a heck of a gust to lift a person UP then over.

First, thoughts and prayers going out to all involved.

Second, that picture of the guy sitting on the rail with his legs dangling over is shocking and terrifying. If I had seen that I would have reported it to security myself.[/QU

The guy on the rail made me have goosebumps. I am so sorry for the family of the lady that went overboard. Prayers to all of them.

Edited by jgskes
Accidentally hit submit before I posted.

You cannot "fall" overboard. I really HATE when this is written, as it scares the heck out of people and probably keeps them from cruising.

+1.

It is physically impossible to "fall" overboard. You can stupid overboard. You can drunk overboard. You can suicide overboard. There is no way that you can fall overboard unless you climb up on something first.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I'm so very sorry that you're family had to endure that. I know that it is never easy for those left behind but again, the pain goes so deep that we don't think about what it does to those left behind. We just want to stop hurting.

I'm also a (former) military spouse. I lost my late husband to brain cancer in 2008. I talk with a lot of vets that are on the verge of suicide with little to no help. The suicide rate among our vets is staggering.

But anywho, this is one of the subjects I can talk about all day. I'm currently in school in hopes of becoming a Social Worker. So I need to get back to my studies.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I left out one other attempted suicide and that was my daughter when she was 15. I know why she attempted it, it was because she did something stupid and she was afraid we would find out about it. We did find out about it, and what she did was nothing compared to what she attempted to do to herself. That was the devastating part to me and DH. We got her help and she turned out to be a wonderful person. She's now 40, but when I look back on those days, they were the darkest for me and DH, so I too know what it's like to be on the other end and it still brings tears to my eyes.

I feel for the families who have lost loved ones to suicide and other tragedies. The hurt never goes away, but we carry on and try to make it a better world. DH is a vet too, and I almost lost him 3 months ago. I'm happy he's here for our next cruise next month. Life is good.

Edited by elliair

It's not for me to understand and I will try not to sound heartless - but why in the world would somebody spend money to cruise to the middle of the ocean, with family, friends, and loved ones for a supposed nice vacation together - then jump over the railing? If they are in that much emotional pain, why would they wait to make it a "special occasion"? I know another poster says it's not a selfish act just wanting their own pain to stop, but how does one reconcile taking everyone with you on a vacation to do it...?

Prayers to the family and all those that are effected emotionally by this tragic event.

Could have been that she was hoping the trip would make her feel better and help escape her pain. Could have been family guilt and she went due to the demands of others. Could have been she was okay and then something set her off into a breakdown.

Thoughts and prayers for her family. As well as the other cruisers. It's a very sad story all around.

I know her! :eek:

I grew up 7 miles from Interlaken in the Finger Lakes. My first job was working for her family :( They are some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I am not kidding

RIP :(

VERY sorry for your loss and that of her family. I hope you didn't discover it on CC but only came here to post. Clearly you love cruising and I hope this doesn't affect that. :(

You cannot "fall" overboard. I really HATE when this is written, as it scares the heck out of people and probably keeps them from cruising.

Prayers to the family. So sad.

I agree. This really irks me when they/reporters say this.

You will NEVER be walking along the open decks outside, feet planted firmly on the floor, then all of a sudden, you fall in the water overboard. Even if it is very windy.

Sure, if you climb on a rail, climb from balcony to balcony you can fall, or if you happen to jump.

Edited by tonit964

Typically, the railings on cruise ships are 4 feet high so even for a tall person that would be waist high. It would have to be a heck of a gust to lift a person UP then over.

There is momentum involved when you are being pushed into an object such as a railing and ships rock. It wouldn't be necessary to lift the person at all.

The thing is you actually can fall overboard or knocked overboard . Taken that cruise ships sell alcohol and some people drink to an excess . Rough waves and the ship suddenly jerks ,sways in the seas. Some of us have been knocked out of bed during bad storms. What makes people think that people cant be knocked over a railing ? Sure you can.

Ok, I'll buy your logic if you can post a single incident where someone went overboard without a deliberate human action.

Go...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are on a ship deck that is lower to the water like one on Deadliest catch where the water can propel you up and over on a massive wave. Then yes you may go overboard. On a cruise ship if you get hit by a wave that like that well you got more worries than one person going over. These are 4ft solid rails no one in the in the history of cruising has ever fallen over board. Period not in any storm and cruise ships have been through some major storms. Even small cruise ships (compared to todays mega ships) haven't had anyone literally fall overboard. All "fallings" were due to negligence on the persons part, sitting on the rail, climbing on the balcony, jumping etc.

Quit with the whole scare mongering the wind will blow you just right and over you will go. Yes in some freak one in a billion accident I'm sure the stars could align and a gust of wind could hit you at the precise speed and angle to send you over the rail spiraling into the ocean below. I could also win the lottery tomorrow and the spend the rest of my life cruising whenever I want. Odds are about the same since I play maybe once a year lol

As far as pic of the dude sitting on the rail if you look his feet are braced against another rail so there's no way he's sitting on the outside of the ship. If he is what are his feet on?

First, thoughts and prayers going out to all involved.

Second, that picture of the guy sitting on the rail with his legs dangling over is shocking and terrifying. If I had seen that I would have reported it to security myself.

This.

I don't get how that bar server could turn his back to it and act like nothing. I would absolutely be all over security to do something.

Although I don't vouch for the intelligence of the gentleman in the pic, the photo is somewhat misleading.

If you look closely, you will see that the guy is sitting on the rail for the stairway which is about a foot or two inside the outer rail of the ship.

I noticed that too. He's not in danger of going overboard; his feet are on the outer rail and his butt is on the inner rail surrounding the stairwell.

Of course if he'd fallen backward down the stairwell, that fall might well have killed him via broken neck or head injury. Pretty stupid place to sit.

There is momentum involved when you are being pushed into an object such as a railing and ships rock. It wouldn't be necessary to lift the person at all.

As someone else posted in response to another who thinks the scenario of someone just getting knocked overboard, please post something to back up what you say. If you have concrete proof of it happening, I'll eat crow.;):) There have been zero reports of anything like that happening and if there was, it would be all over the boards. It's just not going to happen. If the ship is rocking that bad, the deck will be closed.

Ok, I'll buy your logic if you can post a single incident where someone went overboard without a deliberate human action.

Go...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just one ? Several ,the most experienced cruiser will tell you the dangers involved walking around Lido on an extremely windy day. Some of us have had the displeasure of evading high tropical force winds when a storm approaches. Lounge chairs flying up and into a person could do enough to force a person to the rail. An unsecured door hit a friend of mine and knocked him to the rail and down to the floor. Those instances are when the decks were not closed to the public.

Just one ? Several ,the most experienced cruiser will tell you the dangers involved walking around Lido on an extremely windy day. Some of us have had the displeasure of evading high tropical force winds when a storm approaches. Lounge chairs flying up and into a person could do enough to force a person to the rail. An unsecured door hit a friend of mine and knocked him to the rail and down to the floor. Those instances are when the decks were not closed to the public.

You still haven't given a specific incident where this happened. You've given cases where you believe it could happen. All you've done is show things that could knock you against the rail, but not over it. With cruise ship railings being between 45-54 inches high, regardless of the momentum involved, your center of gravity is below the rail and would need to be lifted above the rail to topple you over.

40 years at sea, in weather very few cruise ships have seen, and have never had a man overboard, regardless of wind, rolling, lurching of the ship, or even taking seas over the ship 20' deep.

And besides, this is all moot, as 95+% of these cruise ship overboards happen in excellent weather.

You still haven't given a specific incident where this happened. You've given cases where you believe it could happen. All you've done is show things that could knock you against the rail, but not over it. With cruise ship railings being between 45-54 inches high, regardless of the momentum involved, your center of gravity is below the rail and would need to be lifted above the rail to topple you over.

40 years at sea, in weather very few cruise ships have seen, and have never had a man overboard, regardless of wind, rolling, lurching of the ship, or even taking seas over the ship 20' deep.

And besides, this is all moot, as 95+% of these cruise ship overboards happen in excellent weather.

Actually I'm glad my friend didn't go over the rail. Badly bruised but ok. Are you saying it couldn't happen ? You've never seen a lounge chair blown over the rail or into a pool ?

Actually I'm glad my friend didn't go over the rail. Badly bruised but ok. Are you saying it couldn't happen ? You've never seen a lounge chair blown over the rail or into a pool ?

Sorry, but I (and most people) don't have the same mass to surface area of a lounge chair (I weigh more and am not basically a flat surface), so my aerodynamics are way different than a lounge chair. There is a video out there where a Washington state news reporter was blown over by 100 mph winds, but she never left her feet, or was lifted off her feet.