Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

The thing is you actually can fall overboard or knocked overboard . Taken that cruise ships sell alcohol and some people drink to an excess . Rough waves and the ship suddenly jerks ,sways in the seas. Some of us have been knocked out of bed during bad storms. What makes people think that people cant be knocked over a railing ? Sure you can.

Jumped on purpose, fell accidentally, pushed by another, drunk, sober, sane or insane...does it really matter? This is terrible and sad and I feel compassion and empathy for the woman and her family. I stood and gazed out at that same ocean a few weeks ago from our balcony on the Valor and thought to myself how beautiful and overwhelming the ocean is and how small I am in comparison. I can't imagine the pain that must have been going through her head as she contemplated similar thoughts and then made such a tragic choice. How bad must one's perspective be, if going overboard is a better idea than just stepping back from the rail and hoping for a better day tomorrow....:(

How and why always matters, we all feel compassion for the person and the family as well as anyone on board. However reasoning as to why it happen makes for an interesting discussion ,on a cruise message board.

Edited by BoDidly

I feel very sorry for the family and friends.... but have seen this many times people doing stupid things like the guy below on my last cruise. The bar server said something to him but he didn't move and i don't know why but security was never called.

<a href=IMG_4288_zpsrxpnswli.jpg' alt='IMG_4288_

The thing is you actually can fall overboard or knocked overboard . Taken that cruise ships sell alcohol and some people drink to an excess . Rough waves and the ship suddenly jerks ,sways in the seas. Some of us have been knocked out of bed during bad storms. What makes people think that people cant be knocked over a railing ? Sure you can.

The couple of times that I have been on ships with storms that bad, the outside decks have been closed.

The couple of times that I have been on ships with storms that bad, the outside decks have been closed.

True, but there is always someone walking around the decks that never seems to understand the word closed. Even noticed the crew out in a storm. Just watch the in room TV Lido cam ;), You'll see em.

I feel very sorry for the family and friends.... but have seen this many times people doing stupid things like the guy below on my last cruise. The bar server said something to him but he didn't move and i don't know why but security was never called.

p><p>Sixteen cruises and I

Prayers to this woman's family and friends!

Jumped on purpose, fell accidentally, pushed by another, drunk, sober, sane or insane...does it really matter? This is terrible and sad and I feel compassion and empathy for the woman and her family. I stood and gazed out at that same ocean a few weeks ago from our balcony on the Valor and thought to myself how beautiful and overwhelming the ocean is and how small I am in comparison. I can't imagine the pain that must have been going through her head as she contemplated similar thoughts and then made such a tragic choice. How bad must one's perspective be, if going overboard is a better idea than just stepping back from the rail and hoping for a better day tomorrow....:(

Yes, very nice post.

I hope people don't start saying how the person was selfish and didn't think about the survivors. Many people who commit suicide are not in a normal frame of mind. They are hurting so badly that they can't think properly and only want the hurt to stop.

Completely agree. We've been on any number of cruises with rough weather, was even knocked out of bed, and the outside decks have ALWAYS been closed. Once again, no one will be knocked over a railing unless they somehow get out on a closed deck. Doors were actually locked.

Jumped on purpose, fell accidentally, pushed by another, drunk, sober, sane or insane...does it really matter?

Of course it matters. Yes, it's horrible either way for everyone who knows and loves this woman, but if "falling" overboard were possible, the entire cruise industry would have a HUGE problem on their hands. The truth is that there are many things that can go wrong for a responsible, sober person during a cruise vacation, but "falling" overboard just isn't one of them.

Yes, very nice post.

I hope people don't start saying how the person was selfish and didn't think about the survivors. Many people who commit suicide are not in a normal frame of mind. They are hurting so badly that they can't think properly and only want the hurt to stop.

Thank you iheartbda. I lost a close family member to suicide five years ago and this is exactly how it was explained to my family from a pastor at our church. The emotional hurt/pain they are in is just too much. They don't necessarily want to die, but in that moment, the only thing on their mind is that pain/hurt and wanting it stopped. Tragically last summer, dear friends also lost a close family member (a teenager) to suicide and to them, I was the one they knew who experienced it and that's all I could think to tell them. My heart goes out to this poor lady's family as there will always be the question of "could I have done something differently".

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you iheartbda. I lost a close family member to suicide five years ago and this is exactly how it was explained to my family from a pastor at our church. The emotional hurt/pain they are in is just too much. They don't necessarily want to die, but in that moment, the only thing on their mind is that pain/hurt and wanting it stopped. Tragically last summer, dear friends also lost a close family member (a teenager) to suicide and to them, I was the one they knew who experienced it and that's all I could think to tell them. My heart goes out to this poor lady's family as there will always be the question of "could I have done something differently".

Hence....the guilt. I am so sorry for your loss. I truly think it is so much harder on the families to deal with the tragic loss of a loved one. The pain does not lessen and you never forget.

I'm a survivor. I know some see suicide as a selfish act. It isnt, at least not in our heads/mind. It is never about us wanting to hurt others but more about us wanting to stop the hurt within us.

I wont get into the details of the why's were I'm concerned but I inked the semicolon (Google semicolon project) on my wrist as a reminder when things are bad, to try and focus on all the good that is in my life.

Not sure if that's the case (suicide) with this lady that went overboard.

Edited by Mr & Mrs Happy

This

God bless her soul and God bless her family with strength, comfort and peace.

I'm a survivor. I know some see suicide as a selfish act. It isnt, at least not in our heads/mind. It is never about us wanting to hurt others but more about us wanting to stop the hurt within us.

I wont get into the details of the why's were I'm concerned but I inked the semi-colon (Google semi-colon project) on my wrist as a reminder when things are bad, to try and focus on all the good that is in my life.

Not sure if that's the case (suicide) with this lady that went overboard.

I know what you mean. There's been two suicides in our family and both of them my nieces husbands. Both were drug related and both of them were unhappy. I don't understand the hurting within because they had children, nice homes, good jobs, and that wasn't enough for them to keep themselves alive for that. It goes much deeper than any of us can understand. There's more good than bad in life, I certainly don't want to miss the next cruise. I have a stone in my bathroom with these words etched in it: "Don't spend too much of today thinking about yesterday." I have it placed where everyone can see it when they sit on the toilet.:)

Edited by elliair

It's not for me to understand and I will try not to sound heartless - but why in the world would somebody spend money to cruise to the middle of the ocean, with family, friends, and loved ones for a supposed nice vacation together - then jump over the railing? If they are in that much emotional pain, why would they wait to make it a "special occasion"? I know another poster says it's not a selfish act just wanting their own pain to stop, but how does one reconcile taking everyone with you on a vacation to do it...?

Prayers to the family and all those that are effected emotionally by this tragic event.

Second, that picture of the guy sitting on the rail with his legs dangling over is shocking and terrifying. If I had seen that I would have reported it to security myself.

Although I don't vouch for the intelligence of the gentleman in the pic, the photo is somewhat misleading.

If you look closely, you will see that the guy is sitting on the rail for the stairway which is about a foot or two inside the outer rail of the ship.

True, but there is always someone walking around the decks that never seems to understand the word closed. Even noticed the crew out in a storm. Just watch the in room TV Lido cam ;), You'll see em.

Which helps to prove my point - doing something intentionally (read stupid) that one should not be doing.

It's not for me to understand and I will try not to sound heartless - but why in the world would somebody spend money to cruise to the middle of the ocean, with family, friends, and loved ones for a supposed nice vacation together - then jump over the railing? If they are in that much emotional pain, why would they wait to make it a "special occasion"? I know another poster says it's not a selfish act just wanting their own pain to stop, but how does one reconcile taking everyone with you on a vacation to do it...?

Prayers to the family and all those that are effected emotionally by this tragic event.

If this was a suicide, maybe she was in a "good" place at first but found herself in that "mode". I moved back to my hometown about 5 years ago and I have to deal with a lot of triggers. I can be good one minute and in a bad place the next. However, I find my "happy place" and go there until it passes. Not many are able to do that.

I dont take medication and not because I'm ashamed in taking it but for whatever reason, every single med I've been on, makes me worse, so I found other alternatives which includes a therapist.

There is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental illness.

I know what you mean. There's been two suicides in our family and both of them my nieces husbands. Both were drug related and both of them were unhappy. I don't understand the hurting within because they had children, nice homes, good jobs, and that wasn't enough for them to keep themselves alive for that. It goes much deeper than any of us can understand. There's more good than bad in life, I certainly don't want to miss the next cruise. I have a stone in my bathroom with these words etched in it: "Don't spend too much of today thinking about yesterday." I have it placed where everyone can see it when they sit on the toilet.:)

I'm so very sorry that you're family had to endure that. I know that it is never easy for those left behind but again, the pain goes so deep that we don't think about what it does to those left behind. We just want to stop hurting.

I'm also a (former) military spouse. I lost my late husband to brain cancer in 2008. I talk with a lot of vets that are on the verge of suicide with little to no help. The suicide rate among our vets is staggering.

But anywho, this is one of the subjects I can talk about all day. I'm currently in school in hopes of becoming a Social Worker. So I need to get back to my studies.

Sometimes, the person just cannot think logically. I know from personal experience that its very easy to fall into a dark place where your thoughts are not logical. Sometimes its mental illness, sometimes its a chemical imbalance(in my case, my serotonin levels were off due to pain medication following heart surgery) I'd never had a day in my life where I was depressed or even contemplated suicide and suddenly, I couldn't control my thoughts. Its very scary to think about.

That aside, we can all speculate about what happened..but nobody will know for sure. We should all count our blessings and look forward to time spent with our families..hopefully on a wonderful cruise.