RCL Visa Onboard credit-can it be used to prepurchase drink packages?

fd851

I am trying to determine if I should pre purchase the drink package with the 20% discount for pre-cruise purchase. I am planning on redeeming some RCL visa points for onboard credit. Logically (which does not always apply to all things RCL) speaking, an onboard credit can only be used to purchase things once one is actually onboard. Has anyone been able to successfully use their points/obc to pre purchase drink packages or excursions?

Thanks

I am trying to determine if I should pre purchase the drink package with the 20% discount for pre-cruise purchase. I am planning on redeeming some RCL visa points for onboard credit. Logically (which does not always apply to all things RCL) speaking, an onboard credit can only be used to purchase things once one is actually onboard. Has anyone been able to successfully use their points/obc to pre purchase drink packages or excursions?

Thanks

You cannot use OBC to pre-purchase anything.

Bob,

I've searched but too much comes up...what happens to OBC from points if I don't use it all? Is there a way to "return" the points? I've cashed in points for a drink package but with the deluxe @ 20% discount it's worth prepurchasing or it will cost an additional $75 once on board.

Edited by Shekim

Bob,

I've searched but too much comes up...what happens to OBC from points if I don't use it all? Is there a way to "return" the points? I've cashed in points for a drink package but with the deluxe @ 20% discount it's worth prepurchasing or it will cost an additional $75 once on board.

You cannot return points to your card. However, you can get any remaining refundable OBC back as cash on the last night of the cruise. Visa points OBC is refundable.

You cannot return points to your card. However, you can get any remaining refundable OBC back as cash on the last night of the cruise. Visa points OBC is refundable.

Funny enough, I just got off the phone with the rewards desk. I found an older post with the phone number. She explained that what I don't use will be refunded to the cc. I use the card for our on board account so I guess if it's credited back to the card I'm good with that.

With that said I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the stupid deluxe drink package and be done with it. I've obsessed over this for days now. :eek:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Bob...

Edited by Shekim

Funny enough, I just got off the phone with the rewards desk. I found an older post with the phone number. She explained that what I don't use will be refunded to the cc. I use the card for our on board account so I guess if it's credited back to the card I'm good with that.

With that said I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the stupid deluxe drink package and be done with it. I've obsessed over this for days now. :eek:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Bob...

You're correct, any remaining refundable OBC will be refunded back to the credit card. However, if that credit card is Royal's Visa card, you will lose double points for that credit. Better to take the cash if you want to preserve points.

You're correct, any remaining refundable OBC will be refunded back to the credit card. However, if that credit card is Royal's Visa card, you will lose double points for that credit. Better to take the cash if you want to preserve points.

So I can go to customer service the last night of the cruise and request a cash refund?

Is that accurate? I ask because I just received an e-mail today essentially stating "Reserve your favorites before you Sail", (with my OBC) and it did show Excursions, the Drink Pkg, etc

SORRY, I DIDN'T READ THRU THE POSTS, I received that same e-mail.

Edited by RCLFan

Are the OBCs from Royal Caribbean and a Travel Agent also able to be refunded?

OBC from Royal is not refundable. OBC from a travel agent is usually refundable, unless they are passing it through from a Royal perk.

Is that accurate? I ask because I just received an e-mail today essentially stating "Reserve your favorites before you Sail", (with my OBC) and it did show Excursions, the Drink Pkg, etc

SORRY, I DIDN'T READ THRU THE POSTS, I received that same e-mail.

I did read not long ago that some people were able to use OBC to buy some things pre-cruise. I don't remember the details, but it seemed to be very restricted, maybe a limited kind of test program.

I did read not long ago that some people were able to use OBC to buy some things pre-cruise. I don't remember the details, but it seemed to be very restricted, maybe a limited kind of test program.

If I remember correctly it was on Anthem. I was going to comment that it seemed that that experiment had failed and then saw the above posts.

I wonder if they are limiting this to sailings where cruise planner purchases are slow.

Thanks

I turned my credit card points into OBC and then was able to use that OBC to purchase anything I wanted through the cruise planner for my June 2016 cruise on Anthem. It just showed up one day when I signed on to the cruise planner. I ended up cancelling things I had already paid for and re-purchased them using my OBC. I think it showed up about six weeks out from my cruise.