Noumea on a Sunday

Wyuna1

I am not particularly fond of Noumea at the best of times but will be there on a Sunday on our next cruise with around twenty family members none of whom have been there and are very excited. Can any fellow cruiserswhohave been in port on a Sunday advise what is available with non ship excursions etc.

The centre of town will be quiet and most of the shops will be closed, but I do not think many people go to Noumea for the shopping. :D Items are good quality but very very expensive. The alternatives are a couple of cheaper tourist-type shops selling T-shirts and sarongs: they will be open. If you want souvenirs go up to the first floor in the cruise terminal building. Usually there are more than a dozen stalls. On a Sunday, there will be quite a few, but maybe not quite as many as usual.

I suggest you buy tours in the terminal building. AUD is acceptable. It would be a good idea to get off the ship promptly so you can all get on a tour. If you want to do something later in the day, you could go to Lemon Bay (Baie des Citrons) or Ansa Vata beach.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I am not particularly fond of Noumea at the best of times but will be there on a Sunday on our next cruise with around twenty family members none of whom have been there and are very excited. Can any fellow cruiserswhohave been in port on a Sunday advise what is available with non ship excursions etc.

I could have completely the wrong island, but we once visited on a Sunday and went with the locals as they went to church for the white mass. Apparently it's an island thing and was fascinating to watch.

Hi,

I've only been to Noumea once, and I had read quite a few negative comments. We were due to arrive when the shops were all closed, so we booked a non-ship tour with 'Fernando's tours and transport' - found via Trip Advisor - not cheap (comparable to other full day tours though), however, Fernando was the most wonderful, warm, witty host we could possibly ask for and my memories of Noumea are fantastic. His wife cooks a home meal for lunch and you will get to visit areas of Noumea most tours don't travel to. He is also very adaptable (ie. you choose where you would like to go) - best tour I've been on and worth every penny! Worth asking if he could accommodate a tour of your size as he had a new Mercedes van but I think only a 10 seater?

Noumea "CBD" is bad enough Monday to midday Saturday but thereafter including Sunday its the pits. Shut down starts at midday Saturday, no alcohol until Monday. 20 of you could hire your own bus and head south towards Anse Vata Bay (beach/tourist/hotel area) and beyond for some sign of life other than hirsute rastas.