CRAZY price drops on NCL Escape

I'm looking at booking that same deal. Were you able to make dining and show reservations, or is it too late at this point?

I'm booked for the same cruise, same cabin and same rate. I was able to already book a reservation for Brat Pack and that's pretty much all I wanted to book.

I talk to potential cruisers everyday. NCL is not widely known by many novice cruisers, at least not to the extent that Carnival and Royal are. When you combine lack of brand recognition, pricing that requires a masters in advanced mathematics to explain, and a product that can potentially have a larger number of ancillary costs than their peers, it makes NCL a tougher sale. The very fact that Royal and Carnival are sailing full without deep fire sale discounts, and far fewer "perks", (and often higher base fares in the case of Royal) is a strong testament to the precarious position NCL find themselves in.

The first thing they could do to help would be to eliminate the surcharge on the "free" beverage and dining package. It's a tough sale to tell someone that to get the cabin price for the "free" perks is higher than the "from" rate shown online (typically the sailaway rate), and then tell them that on top of taxes the "free" beverage package will add yet another $100 per person ...... Most people shut down and decline to book - Nobody wants to feel they have been conned, and NCL's pricing practices do just that!

I talk to potential cruisers everyday. NCL is not widely known by many novice cruisers, at least not to the extent that Carnival and Royal are. When you combine lack of brand recognition, pricing that requires a masters in advanced mathematics to explain, and a product that can potentially have a larger number of ancillary costs than their peers, it makes NCL a tougher sale. The very fact that Royal and Carnival are sailing full without deep fire sale discounts, and far fewer "perks", (and often higher base fares in the case of Royal) is a strong testament to the precarious position NCL find themselves in.

The first thing they could do to help would be to eliminate the surcharge on the "free" beverage and dining package. It's a tough sale to tell someone that to get the cabin price for the "free" perks is higher than the "from" rate shown online (typically the sailaway rate), and then tell them that on top of taxes the "free" beverage package will add yet another $100 per person ...... Most people shut down and decline to book - Nobody wants to feel they have been conned, and NCL's pricing practices do just that!

I have been catching a lot of "flak" for posting similar information, so be prepared for the "attack".

I'm looking at booking that same deal. Were you able to make dining and show reservations, or is it too late at this point?

I had no problem with show reservations. I am going solo, so probably will not eat in the specialty restaurants. I like O'Sheehan's, Marguaritaville, room service, and the buffet just fine!

I made mine two days ago and all dates and show times were available. Keep in mind the reason the prices are "fire saled" is because there are a lot of empty cabins.

I think it's because adding all these new ships means filling more berths and if you aren't filling the berths you have it's going to be even more difficult when you suddenly add several thousand more per week.

You go right ahead there and take a stand by not booking with them because that will mean more discounts for the rest of us.

There aren't likely to be multiple discounts in July. High season, and getting high prices. IF there are any discounts, they are going to be way past final payment.

The drops- over many years- that I have been snagging them is usually Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. outside of holiday weeks. I've been picking these up for years- at least 2 late booked cruises/year, in this time frame.

My NYE Escape balcony just dropped $100 this week. I'm not sure why, but NCL is having a lot of trouble booking Escape. Compare it to Getaway, where prices have held firm for months, if not risen.

My NYE Escape balcony just dropped $100 this week. I'm not sure why, but NCL is having a lot of trouble booking Escape. Compare it to Getaway, where prices have held firm for months, if not risen.

There have been several Getaway deals the last few weeks, including a current $279 rate. I'd be jumping on that, If I weren't on the Star next week. :)

We're on the Epic for NYE, and saved $500 on our balcony. Granted, we went from a mini suite guaranty to a balcony guaranty, so no perks, but we don't care about that. And we didn't care about not having a mini suite. We did care about saving $500!!:)

And the Getaway is super cheap this month now, also.

Not shooting myself in the foot. There are plenty of other options out here that others are pretty clearly taking advantage of and which I will in the future as well.

I don't really know what you're going on about as I flat out said I know the deal so of course I was fine with the pricing at the time. But as I also said, I've never seen a 40% drop in pricing this far out.

I stand by my "name calling." Hes a big boy making 30 million a year or something close to it. He is fine with my opinion of him and he's laughing at all of us on his way to the bank. He'll be out soon anyway.

It is crazy that you're angry that things are on sale. I go to a store and buy a pretty outfit and sure as hell, it is on sale for 40 percent off a month later, what a scam. Oh wait, I had first pick of styles and sizes just like you had first pick of cabin size and location. Feel free to book 2 weeks out, we have done it many times. And gotten many astounding deals.

Price drops tend to start occurring at the 75-day mark before the cruise, because that's when you are in the "50% penalty" phase, which makes it prohibitively expensive to cancel and rebook.

I'm not saying the price will abruptly drop at the 75-day mark, but that's when to start looking for it.

Del Rio has cut down on the room-dumping, but as this thread shows, it's still happening to some degree.

Your best bet is to look between 14 and 75 days before the cruise, if you want the best deal.

Do not try this on popular itineraries or holiday sailings, as these always fill up.

Maybe I'm crazy but I really look forward to my cruises & I book the next one as soon as I get off the last one & I don't look back ie checking prices etc. All I know is I booked & this is what I'm expected to pay & if I didn't like the price then I only have myself to blame. I fully expect prices to go down but also realize to get what I want I pay the price by booking ahead of time.

I booked in mid Aug on the Getaway for the Nov 6 sailing. Booked an inside for 3 of us. I called a couple of weeks ago and the prices had dropped enough that we upgraded to a balcony for only $94 total (and got an additional perk since we get 2 perks with a balcony and only got 1 with an inside). Hoping for a fire sale as we get closer to sailing so we can upgrade again...but if not, I'm still happy :D

Maybe I'm crazy but I really look forward to my cruises & I book the next one as soon as I get off the last one & I don't look back ie checking prices etc. All I know is I booked & this is what I'm expected to pay & if I didn't like the price then I only have myself to blame. I fully expect prices to go down but also realize to get what I want I pay the price by booking ahead of time.

That does make sense but, unfortunately, if I want to cruise then I have to look for the best deals so that it fits into my budget. I know that not everyone has to do that and someday I hope to be like you guys (maybe I'll hit the lottery and get to see the inside of one of those owners suites that you travel in :D). I do not mean this to sound condescending in any way! It is wonderful that some do not have to travel on as much of a budget as I do....just explaining that it is worth it for some of us to pay attention to price drops. Whatever the case, I paid what I can afford but any extra perks or discounts allow me to spend more $$ on my kids once onboard but we will have a great time whether we get any more upgrades or perks or not.

Yes, I think you're crazy, but then my last girlfriend told me I had a fear of commitment.

I rarely, if ever, book more than 30 days out. I'm going out today on the Escape which I booked on Tuesday. I have booked on a Sunday and cruised the next day, but then I live 20 minutes from Port Everglades and 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) from Port Miami.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Are you are saying you don't take advantage of price drops when they go down ?

Then , yes you are crazy ! :eek:

I do understand not checking prices 3 times a day like some people but never ? NCL must love you .

And, if we are close enough to be within easy driving distance of several home ports in FL, I would be checking out fire sale for the Fall season on RCI, CCL and even X and MSC, etc. - book, pack & go on short notice if you have the time & bankroll, just to diversify and see/enjoy different milky runs.

Wanna see Cuba, Fathom is offering $249 p/p specials for 7 days. RCI is doing 3, 4 and 5 nights for $199 or less, oceanview is just slightly more. One of our TA is offering OBC even for last minute booking ... cruiselines are competing out there, all out efforts, for those discretionary vacation dollars, concerns aside about Zika - passengers' demographics aren't necessary a major crisis as this isn't the same as SARS and other more deadly forms of viruses.

And, I'm sure not everyone has gotten their annual flu shots, yet.

I do understand not checking prices 3 times a day like some people but never ? NCL must love you .

I have never done the price drop checking thing. I shop around, find a good price with good perks and am happy. There is no point in being sad about what you could of had. I added that site that checks cruise drops for you a few years ago and I have been notified once. I wait till its a good price,granted, I book in close and live in Florida... and have a flexible work schedule. I do go for upsell to Haven on NCL sometimes....

If never means not checking prices after I've booked then yep I'm CRAZY & loving every minute of it. By the way I'm in the medical profession & I've yet to have a colleague try to commit me but maybe they're just being kind 😏

I have never done the price drop checking thing. I shop around, find a good price with good perks and am happy. There is no point in being sad about what you could of had. I added that site that checks cruise drops for you a few years ago and I have been notified once. I wait till its a good price,granted, I book in close and live in Florida... and have a flexible work schedule. I do go for upsell to Haven on NCL sometimes....

Well welcome to the Crazy Club ....I will let you know when the next meeting takes place 😀

Yes, I think you're crazy, but then my last girlfriend told me I had a fear of commitment.

I rarely, if ever, book more than 30 days out. I'm going out today on the Escape which I booked on Tuesday. I have booked on a Sunday and cruised the next day, but then I live 20 minutes from Port Everglades and 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) from Port Miami.

I envy your location, living in Ottawa, Canada airfare to Miami is the cost of a cruise. Enjoy your week on the Escape.