Clarification on bringing softdrinks on board

demcpita

Again, thanks in advance for all the great advice. Been digging thru the post and just want to clarify how to bring on a 12 pack of Mt Dew. I understand it cannot be in your checked baggage, but I've read several versions on how you carry it on board, including it must be WITH your carry on, it must be IN your carry on, and those who just carry the carton by hand. We are flying in and DW and I only have a carry on bag each, which will contain everything else we need and definitely no room for 12 packs of soda. Are we going to be able to just carry the carton by hand? Does it have to be in a bag of some sort? We planned on just stopping at the store on the way to the port and grabbing 2-12packs.

Again, thanks in advance for all the great advice. Been digging thru the post and just want to clarify how to bring on a 12 pack of Mt Dew. I understand it cannot be in your checked baggage, but I've read several versions on how you carry it on board, including it must be WITH your carry on, it must be IN your carry on, and those who just carry the carton by hand. We are flying in and DW and I only have a carry on bag each, which will contain everything else we need and definitely no room for 12 packs of soda. Are we going to be able to just carry the carton by hand? Does it have to be in a bag of some sort? We planned on just stopping at the store on the way to the port and grabbing 2-12packs.

you can bring it any way you want as long as its cans (no bottles). if you are carrying it with just the carton be aware they have a tendency to rip open the carton making it hard to carry it if you don't have a bag

you can bring it any way you want as long as its cans (no bottles). if you are carrying it with just the carton be aware they have a tendency to rip open the carton making it hard to carry it if you don't have a bag

To play it safe, stick a re-useable shopping bag in your carry on. If the carton gets ripped open, then you'd have something to put the cans in.;)

To play it safe, stick a re-useable shopping bag in your carry on. If the carton gets ripped open, then you'd have something to put the cans in.;)

That sounds like the Voice of Experience.

Yes!!! This is great advice. To the OP, we actually carried ours in the shopping bag. But I saw several people just carrying the 12 pack. When we sailed in March out of NOLA they were opening up and checking the cans. They taped them back up pretty well but you never know. It was nice to have a bag just in case.

I am a Mtn. Dew addict. Last December they tore open every 12 pack and took out several cans to inspect. We ended up putting the cans in our carry-ons since the boxes were pretty unusable after that.

This was our experience last December as well in Galveston. The guy was opening up every single carton and taking out the cans. We had them in a rolling bag so no big deal. I was just glad I had not decided to replace the coke zero with beer, etc.

This was our experience last December as well in Galveston. The guy was opening up every single carton and taking out the cans. We had them in a rolling bag so no big deal. I was just glad I had not decided to replace the coke zero with beer, etc.

They open them because people abused the privilege and DID replace cans with beer. It used to be they just peaked in at the top 2 cans.

We would frequently make the bottom layer a different type of soda, and seal the sides so it looked unopened (mostly so we could carry it)- doing this with beer would have been so easy.

So now they rip them all open. It's always fun when they see we have 3 types of soda in each of our 12-packs. Sometimes they start to say something, then realize it is allowed.

Some of the nicer ports will then tape it back shut for you.

You are way over-thinking this. Just bring it as part of your carry-ons on embarkation day.

Carnival does not have any restrictions on what types of suitcases, bags, duffle bags, luggage, satchels, plastic bags, cloth bags, etc that you use for your carry-ons. Only that it must fit thru the x-ray scanners.

They open them because people abused the privilege and DID replace cans with beer. It used to be they just peaked in at the top 2 cans.

We would frequently make the bottom layer a different type of soda, and seal the sides so it looked unopened (mostly so we could carry it)- doing this with beer would have been so easy.

So now they rip them all open. It's always fun when they see we have 3 types of soda in each of our 12-packs. Sometimes they start to say something, then realize it is allowed.

Some of the nicer ports will then tape it back shut for you.

There was a story a while ago about pax having a 'conversation' with security about root beer.

We had a similar experience at our last boarding. Two of us had placed our cans in those large clear zip bags inside a cloth shopping bag. The security folks took a peek inside, could easily see what it was, and we sailed right on through. The third was carrying one of the cartons. She got diverted to a secondary inspection where she had to wait for them to open her carton and inspect the cans. They handed her a small piece of tape to re-close the carton, but that didn't make it through boarding, so the three of us were left stuffing her cans anywhere we could in our bags.