Thankyou Celebrity

kydems

My DH and myself have recently returned from an extended cruise on the Eclipse. In Norway on a private shore excursion my DH fell and injured his knee severely. We stayed with the tour and went to the medical centre on return to the ship. The first questions asked, after making sure my husband was OK, were

1. did this accident happen on board the ship..no

2. did the accident occur on a celebrity excursion..no

3. did the accident occur on a private excursion...yes.

By now I was expecting the nurse to turn us away as celebrity had no responsibility for the injury. We were offered the opportunity to be transferred to the hospital for assessment or be seen by the ships doctor, knowing that if we went ashore we would not make it back in time for sail-away. We elected to be seen by the ships doctor. He assessed my husbands injury and made a splint to immobilize the knee and supplied us with a wheelchair.

We arrived in Southampton 2 days later. The medical centre staff had organised for us to be transferred to a hospital, a private orthopedic consult and an urgent MRI was booked. A staff member from the port came to the hospital to check on us to make sure we were OK to reboard. We continued our trip with my husbands knee in a brace. The MRI results were sent to the ship by the orthopedic consultant and he was happy for the ships medical officer to continue managing my husband injury. My DH needed tio were the splint for a further 5 weeks. The kindness shown to us by all the celebrity crew was amazing, from people helping with the wheelchair, adjusting seating at restaurants or just enquiring about his progress as we passed by.

We cannot thank the staff enough for making what could d have been a terrible experience into something manageable

My DH and myself have recently returned from an extended cruise on the Eclipse. In Norway on a private shore excursion my DH fell and injured his knee severely. We stayed with the tour and went to the medical centre on return to the ship. The first questions asked, after making sure my husband was OK, were

By now I was expecting the nurse to turn us away as celebrity had no responsibility for the injury. We were offered the opportunity to be transferred to the hospital for assessment or be seen by the ships doctor, knowing that if we went ashore we would not make it back in time for sail-away. We elected to be seen by the ships doctor. He assessed my husbands injury and made a splint to immobilize the knee and supplied us with a wheelchair.

We arrived in Southampton 2 days later. The medical centre staff had organised for us to be transferred to a hospital, a private orthopedic consult and an urgent MRI was booked. A staff member from the port came to the hospital to check on us to make sure we were OK to reboard. We continued our trip with my husbands knee in a brace. The MRI results were sent to the ship by the orthopedic consultant and he was happy for the ships medical officer to continue managing my husband injury. My DH needed tio were the splint for a further 5 weeks. The kindness shown to us by all the celebrity crew was amazing, from people helping with the wheelchair, adjusting seating at restaurants or just enquiring about his progress as we passed by.

We cannot thank the staff enough for making what could d have been a terrible experience into something manageable

Thanks for sharing.

So glad your holiday was not totally ruined by your husbands accident. I do hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I am sure many people will be reassured by your experiences. It is nice to know in an accident situation staff on board will offer both practical support and emotional care.

Beanb41 - the total fee from the ship was $220 US which was $125 for the consultation and $94 for the splinting. We were not charged for follow up appointments which I was surprised about. Travel insurance will cover all out of pocket expenses.

Beanb41 - the total fee from the ship was $220 US which was $125 for the consultation and $94 for the splinting. We were not charged for follow up appointments which I was surprised about. Travel insurance will cover all out of pocket expenses.

For some of the onboard charges I have heard about regarding medical costs this cost seems more than reasonable to me. Did you additional charges for the onshore consultation or was this cost all inclusive. If it was inclusive you got a great deal IMO

Beanb41, Celebrity costs only unfortunately, billed separately by consultant and hospital for MRI, physio, brace...you get the picture. Never travel without a credit card and travel insurance. We only use the credit card for unexpected holiday expenses, and travel insurance is a wonderful thing.

Beanb41, Celebrity costs only unfortunately, billed separately by consultant and hospital for MRI, physio, brace...you get the picture. Never travel without a credit card and travel insurance. We only use the credit card for unexpected holiday expenses, and travel insurance is a wonderful thing.

Thought it too good to be trues. Fortunately we have reciprocal health rights with the UK which means that had we been in the same circumstance our hospital costs ashore would have been met by the British Health service.

It does reinforce the need for adequate and comprehensive travel insurance which includes medical insurance because one never knows when an accident will occur

Good to hear.

Hi Kydems,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm not at all surprised, but glad to hear the onboard medical team took good care of your DH. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Beanb41, Australia has reciprocal health agreement as well but you have to go through the public system, private hospital not included. If we had of gone to the public system, as it is at the moment, with a non-life threatening injury we would probably still be waiting. We managed to go to the hospital, be seen by the consultant, have a MRI and be back on board for sailaway..on a Sunday. I was impressed and willing to pay the cost.

Beanb41, Australia has reciprocal health agreement as well but you have to go through the public system, private hospital not included. If we had of gone to the public system, as it is at the moment, with a non-life threatening injury we would probably still be waiting. We managed to go to the hospital, be seen by the consultant, have a MRI and be back on board for sailaway..on a Sunday. I was impressed and willing to pay the cost.

First, I hope your husband gets better soon and that his knee heals up quickly.

I had one question, when you went to the hospital, did you have to pay out of pocket (your credit card) or did you show your travel insurance?

I've always gotten travel insurance but thankfully, never had to use it. I just want to have an idea if I have to pay, upfront and then submit the bill to the travel insurance or if they bill them for you.

Thanks for your response and I hope I'm not getting too personal.

Generally short term bills have to be paid and claimed back but if a long term hospitalisation occurs and arrangements can be made with the insurance company then they will pay the bill. Hence we also have a second credit card and access to internet banking in case the brown stuff hits the fan