Question for those who tip at beginning of cruise

NECruiser83

If you are one to give your room attendant a little extra (on top of auto gratuities), how much do you typically give. I was thinking of giving ours a $20 at the beginning, not sure if this is about the "norm", or if I should give a little more. There are 2 adults and 1 child in the room, if this makes a difference.

This is my fiance's and son's first crusie, also my son will be having his 7th birthday day 3 of the cruise. Some may consider it a "bribe" but I would like to give our steward a little something at the beginning of the cruise to show we appreciate, and maybe a little incentive for an extra towel animal for my son, etc. I have worked in the service industry in the past, so regardless, I would tip extra for great service, so why not give a little "incentive"?

Also, typically I would do the same with our waitstaff, but we currently have MTD and are waitlisted for traditional. For MTD, it would be hard to do this as we may have different servers each night, correct?

I am not asking for opinions on if I should or not, I know I don't have to, I WANT to. So please, I am just wondering what others, who choose to give at the beginning, typically how much, and how do you do it to not make it awkward?

Before posting, I did a search on the boards, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I apologize if this type of thread already exists.

Thanks so much in advance for some advice from more experienced cruisers than myself [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by NECruiser83

We tip as we go. When a service is rendered, a tip is given. The amount depends on what service we requested. For example, we always request extra pillows and eggcrate foam on top of mattress. Also often have room frig. exptied.

For dining, we do MTD on Royal and we tip each night according to the service provided. We also tip host/hostess if we are seated at a table we like....away from high traffic, away from noise of dish station. We do not mind being seated with others, in fact we normally enjoy meeting people from around the country/world.

It is a personal choice and I know from reading these boards, many people will not agree with me. Do what makes you feel good and enjoy your time with those you love.

Our pre-tip is usually $20 as well.

We also have had people not happy and calling it a bribe and I don't really care either. I am betting my money the service will be great, not theirs. ;) As to your sons birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HIM) let the room steward know and ask him if he can do a special towel for the day. We had the biggest birthday cake towel arrangement done up really nice.

Have a great cruise.

For our first cruise two years ago, I considered carefully and decided to pre-tip. I chose more than suggested ($50) since we were in a suite. I tucked it into my handshake when we were introduced to our steward.

I've regretted it ever since.

Like another poster, we felt instantly forgotten. Had to ask twice for several small favors. Frankly, we rarely got a smile for the remainder of the cruise. It was as if I'd insulted the guy somehow, which was certainly not my intention.

Anyway, the answer to your question is that the standard seems to be $20. But I'll never do it again.

In my conversations with our cabin steward throughout the cruise I find out if he will be getting off the ship in a particular port then give him a $10 or $20 when we see him in the hallway as we get off the ship that day and tell him to treat himself to something while he's ashore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my conversations with our cabin steward throughout the cruise I find out if he will be getting off the ship in a particular port then give him a $10 or $20 when we see him in the hallway as we get off the ship that day and tell him to treat himself to something while he's ashore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a nice idea! Thank you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app