Coffee Card Question

myfuzzy

We are sailing in a few weeks, and am looking to prepay the little stuff before we board. Did I read somewhere that it is cheaper to purchase the card on board vs through your personalizer?

If its cheaper does anyone know what the price is?

Purchasing on board costs $31.00 + 15% gratuity (.15 * 31 = $4.65) = $35.65.

There used to be a few pennies difference [rounding down to nearest dollar IIRC] but it appears they have adjusted the pre-order price to now precisely match the on board cost:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/ (select 'Beverage Package and Cellars' scroll to Coffee Card)

Pre-ordering the Coffee Card priced at $35.65, quoted price including gratuity.

Edited by fishywood

We are sailing in a few weeks, and am looking to prepay the little stuff before we board. Did I read somewhere that it is cheaper to purchase the card on board vs through your personalizer?

If its cheaper does anyone know what the price is?

Not cheaper. Just the same price.

It's cheaper to buy one on ebay, I just looked and there are a few for sale. I would suggest you get the newest version which has the green border because they might not allow for the free brewed coffee on the older cards.

I checked ebay (just cuz I wanted to see what the new cards look like) and all the ones I looked at that posted a picture of the back of the card had the ship and/or the sailing on the card. That makes them only good for specialty coffee anyway (or a punch for the "free brewed"). So it wouldn't make any difference which card it is, unless you get a barista who doesn't check.

I checked ebay (just cuz I wanted to see what the new cards look like) and all the ones I looked at that posted a picture of the back of the card had the ship and/or the sailing on the card. That makes them only good for specialty coffee anyway (or a punch for the "free brewed"). So it wouldn't make any difference which card it is, unless you get a barista who doesn't check.

All but one did indeed have the sailing on the back. I guess they are now putting the sailing date on the card to prevent abuse. I'm sailing next week and will trade in my mini bar for 2 coffee cards. I'll be sure to look at the back of the cards to see if they mark them.

I prepurchased a coffe card for my cruise on the Regal last year and it was not delivered to my room until early evening. If you want to use the card right away, I would purchase it onboard. My experience may not be the norm. I really enjoyed the coffe drinks and the card is a good deal. Enjoy!

All but one did indeed have the sailing on the back. I guess they are now putting the sailing date on the card to prevent abuse. I'm sailing next week and will trade in my mini bar for 2 coffee cards. I'll be sure to look at the back of the cards to see if they mark them.

We've traded for them twice & both times they were blank YMMV.

We used a blank card on the Pacific and the Barista, who never learned how to smile :( in the 34 days we were on the ship, checked the card every time we used it. She apparently couldn't remember us from one day to the next.

The first time she checked the card, she marked it. We've had several blank cards & old marked cards that were never checked by the barista and never marked for the whole cruise.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Where do you buy the coffee cards onboard the ship? I will be on the Grand this Sunday & want to use my OBC to buy a coffee card....just not sure where to find them...

You can buy the card at the Piazza Bar/International Cafe coffee bar on Deck 5.

Where do you buy the coffee cards onboard the ship? I will be on the Grand this Sunday & want to use my OBC to buy a coffee card....just not sure where to find them...

Actually, once you are on the ship, you will find tables set up in the Atrium, by elevator banks, food court....if you are having lunch waiters constantly bring around various "packages" to your table for you to sign up for. You don't have to look far.

Edited by myfuzzy

We've traded for them twice & both times they were blank YMMV.

We used a blank card on the Pacific and the Barista, who never learned how to smile :( in the 34 days we were on the ship, checked the card every time we used it. She apparently couldn't remember us from one day to the next.

In a similar situation..we boarded the Caribbean Princess, and proceeded to the Horizon for lunch. A young woman came over to take my drink order, when I asked for iced tea, she asked me for my "card". I told her it was included and she should not be asking for a card. She went over and asked someone standing nearby, he shook his head no, she came back with my iced tea and apologized. So maybe this woman who checked your card was new, and was only doing what she was told, until hopefully someone with experience told her to just let it go...you never know. But how many day's? Yikes!

Odd that the barista couldn't remember you from one day to the next, but maybe she was new and felt she was doing what she was supposed to do.

In contrast, my daughter had a soda sticker on her card. We showed it to the bar tender at her "usual" outlet once. The second time, I prompted her to get out her card and the bar tender said it wasn't necessary as he knew her now. He became a good buddy on that cruise.

I will be selling two on eBay today--will post the link later today.

Two coffee cards, unused, unstamped, plus a "wallet" for it and your cruise card--$60 including shipping.

Not exactly free shipping. Went to ebay to buy them, but $14.59 extra required for international shipping with tracking to Canada.

Would be happy to buy them for US$60 if simply mailed to my address in Canada

Edited by racj846

So maybe this woman who checked your card was new, and was only doing what she was told, until hopefully someone with experience told her to just let it go...you never know. But how many day's? Yikes!

No, she wasn't new. And continued checking the card and NOT smiling even after we complained about her attitude.

34 days :D

Odd that the barista couldn't remember you from one day to the next' date=' but maybe she was new and felt she was doing what she was supposed to do.

In contrast, my daughter had a soda sticker on her card. We showed it to the bar tender at her "usual" outlet once. The second time, I prompted her to get out her card and the bar tender said it wasn't necessary as he knew her now. He became a good buddy on that cruise.[/quote']

Very odd since it was on the Pacific (only 600 passengers) and we were on the ship for more than a month.

I think she just didn't like passengers. The only time I saw her smile was when she was talking to other crew members.

No, she wasn't new. And continued checking the card and NOT smiling even after we complained about her attitude.

34 days :D

Then I guess she "didn't get it" what a shame, this is where the "auto grats" don't come into play, especially after 34 days! Even after you complained about her attitude too. No excuses for that.

We have two partially used cards, old design, from 2015 (Sep). Will be going on Crown in Oct, 28 day. These old cards still good, yes? About when did the change to new card?

Thanks Tom

I used my card from 2013 this year with no problems. :) I don't know when they changed to the new card sorry.

Tony

Very odd since it was on the Pacific (only 600 passengers) and we were on the ship for more than a month.

I think she just didn't like passengers. The only time I saw her smile was when she was talking to other crew members.

I'm guessing she may not last long with that attitude.