RCCL vs CCL....

FLASHINGLIGHTS83

Planning our first CCL cruise for January, have read many posts about the differences onboard, but have seen a post about the differences in booking and pre-booking options. Once I book, am I able to cancel w/o penalty before final due date? If I choose to get trip insurance, and I have to cancel before final payment, is that refunded as well? What kind of drink packages are available onboard CCL? Any info would be appreciated....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Once I book, am I able to cancel w/o penalty before final due date?

As long as you dont book Early Saver, you can cancel before final payment date without penalty. If you book Early Saver and have to cancel before final payment, 50.00 per person will be taken from the deposit and the balance will be issued in form of a future cruise credit to be used within 24 months is the way it was explained to me.

Some deposits are non refundable. Many different rates out there. Be careful how you book. Trip Insurance usually starts when you buy if bought through a cruise line so is not refundable after purchase but not completely sure how Carnival works it. I would ask them directly.

Drink packages are available for around the same price as RCL I believe.

The biggest difference between RCI and Carnival is the drink package. Carnival has Cheers (only one package) and all adults over 21 in the cabin are required to purchase it if one person buys it. The non-alcohol package is bottomless bubbles and not everyone in the cabin has to buy it if one person does. RCI allows individuals to purchase the drink packages without everyone having to but it. With Cheers, you can pre-purchase the drink package and save some money.

I would book insurance outside of Carnival. You will get much better coverage for less money.

When I purchase trip insurance I like http://www.insuremytrip.com they have many plans to choose from, but I am sure there are others out there too. I will usually but it around final payment time if I do not buy an early saver cruise.

Edited by dacsmom

Carnival tends to have better food. I like RC's older ships better. They tend to be more elegant Carnival's ship have loud decor. I haven't sailed on RC's newer, huge ships which I liken to a mall or amusement park which I don't consider relaxing.

Carnival passengers tend to be louder, rowdier and more laid back. RC passengers are nice, but a bit less rowdy. You'll have a good time no matter which you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I sailed RC in June then CCL in Sept. Hands down food is better on Royal. The buffet is 3 times larger. We found the shows more racy and not as family friends even during times when kids were there. The drink package on Royal let's you have a non alcohol option with smoothies and bottled water. Carnival only has soda nothing else not even a souviner mug. You have to buy them seperate.

Carnival has lots of activities and is a different feel than Royal.

Hubby and I sailed RC in June then CCL in Sept. Hands down food is better on Royal. The buffet is 3 times larger. We found the shows more racy and not as family friends even during times when kids were there. The drink package on Royal let's you have a non alcohol option with smoothies and bottled water. Carnival only has soda nothing else not even a souviner mug. You have to buy them seperate.

Carnival has lots of activities and is a different feel than Royal.

the buffet being larger will vary from ship to ship within each line and versus each other. saying RC's buffets are '3 times larger' is not accurate or helpful without context.

your comment about the drink package including only soda is just plain wrong:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

The following beverages are now available within the enhanced CHEERS! program:

-All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving

-Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices

-Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars

-Milkshakes, where applicable

-RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea

-500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges

-Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants

-25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving

-25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants

-25 percent discount off the menu price for all beverage classes and seminars

sure, it doesn't come with a souvenir mug, but it comes with a lot more than just 'soda nothing else'... i really hope you didn't just go on a cruise and operate under such a false assumption, regardless it certainly should not be spread as fact here.

the buffet being larger will vary from ship to ship within each line and versus each other. saying RC's buffets are '3 times larger' is not accurate or helpful without context.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

-All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving

-Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars

-Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants

-25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving

-25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants

sure, it doesn't come with a souvenir mug, but it comes with a lot more than just 'soda nothing else'... i really hope you didn't just go on a cruise and operate under such a false assumption, regardless it certainly should not be spread as fact here.

You are wrong on the drink package! Royal has a package for $19 per day that includes Soda, Specialty Coffee, Non Alcohol Drinks, bottled water and a mug! I just sailed in June and bought the package. Carnival only offers a soda package for $6 per day. The other option is for alcohol that will include specialty drinks for $54 pp per day

As far as buffets go we sailed one of the smaller ships on Grandeur of the Seas (6/28/16) compared to Carnivals Pride (9/4/16)which I think Pride is a little bigger and the buffet on Grandeur is 3 times larger and much nicer.

I disagree with this, but everyone has their own opinion.

I think RCCL has much better food than Carnival.

Much better? I wouldnt go that far but its all subjective. Out of 4 Royal cruises and only 2 Carnival cruises I think Carnival blows Royal away in both quality and variety of food. Their steakhouses are miles ahead of Chops and they have more included options on the newer ships.

Again, food is subjective but most people I know that sail both lines unbiased all agree Carnival has better food. To me, its not even close. 7 years ago I MIGHT have agreed but Royal has really cheapened all of their dining experiences including their specialty dining. I think its an absolute joke they try to hard sell you on a 18-20 dollar "something special" steak after charging 35.00 to get in the door at Chops. I will never darken the doors of Chops again.

Edited by ryano

You are wrong on the drink package! Royal has a package for $19 per day that includes Soda, Specialty Coffee, Non Alcohol Drinks, bottled water and a mug!

As of this month, that non-alcoholic package is up to $26 a day plus gratuities.

On Carnival, with their lower drink prices, I can't imagine spending that much on non-alcoholic beverages a day (every day of the cruise). Maybe on Royal where drinks seem so much more expensive, it would be worth it.

I think the difference with the Carnival buffet is it's not just the "buffet" - it's a whole lido experience - which on the Pride includes the "buffet", pizza pirate, Salad bar, Sweet Spot, Deli, Chopsticks, Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina.

On other ships it may also include a Mongolian Wok, a made to order pasta place, tandoori, and BBQ.

Much better? I wouldnt go that far but its all subjective. Out of 4 Royal cruises and only 2 Carnival cruises I think Carnival blows Royal away in both quality and variety of food. Their steakhouses are miles ahead of Chops and they have more included options on the newer ships.

Again, food is subjective but most people I know that sail both lines unbiased all agree Carnival has better food. To me, its not even close. 7 years ago I MIGHT have agreed but Royal has really cheapened all of their dining experiences including their specialty dining. I think its an absolute joke they try to hard sell you on a 18-20 dollar "something special" steak after charging 35.00 to get in the door at Chops. I will never darken the doors of Chops again.

$42 dollar now. On most RCL ships, Chops is now $42.

On a Carnival ship, you have 2 lines for the buffet that snake around the ship and you have a 30 minute or longer wait to get your food during peak times. On a RCCL ship, you have multiple stations, and waiting in line is almost non-existent. This will always give the appearance that the buffet is bigger. If you want context, simply walk into each area, and see how fast you get to sit. RCCL is more than 3x better, and so the appearance is bigger. With things being spread out.

Let's put all prices the same for this little exercise: Lets say both cruise lines are $55.00

Carnival you pay $110.00 because both people must buy it.

RCCL you pay $55.00 per person and your roommate, can drink water.

RCCL has multiple drink packages, two of which is for those that do not want alcohol. You can mix and match packages, so each person can buy what they want, and not the most expensive one.

I won't say the food is better, because, it is my opinion that it is better on RCCL.

I have took numerous cruises on Carnival, RCCL and NCL. I really couldn't put a finger on one aspect and make a blanket 'they do this the best' statement. They all have points well and things they don't do as well as the competitors. Carnival has some great dishes along with some that are average.. The same holds true for the other two also. I haven't found one that is a hands down winner.

Edited by ray98

I disagree with this, but everyone has their own opinion.

I think RCCL has much better food than Carnival.

Well...it's to each their own....I have done 9 Carnival and 1 Royal....and the food and unfriendly staff on Royal Caribbean were enough to say "never again"...CARNIVAL ALL THE WAY in regards to food and staff! Have fun who ever you choose

You are wrong on the drink package! Royal has a package for $19 per day that includes Soda, Specialty Coffee, Non Alcohol Drinks, bottled water and a mug! I just sailed in June and bought the package. Carnival only offers a soda package for $6 per day. The other option is for alcohol that will include specialty drinks for $54 pp per day

As far as buffets go we sailed one of the smaller ships on Grandeur of the Seas (6/28/16) compared to Carnivals Pride (9/4/16)which I think Pride is a little bigger and the buffet on Grandeur is 3 times larger and much nicer.

your first post was very confusing. Written much much better the second time. makes sense now.

Yea that menu is a joke. It's been a few years since I ate at a carnival steakhouse, but years ago it was a great deal, as they were serving USDA prime beef. Not the case anymore. I still think it's a fair deal.

OP overall carnival had the best food IMO. Was everything perfect? no, but overall I give it to carnival. I was surprised by this. Also understand food varies a bit, from ship to ship.