Ship berth in Lima

golfguyhhi

How far is it from the airport to the ship in Lima, Peru? Where do the ships dock? Can taxis go right to the ship for boarding?

Will be arriving at 11:30 PM and staying at the Wyndham airport hotel for the remainder of the night and will head to the ship around noon that following day.

We boarded Marina in Lima in April 2015. We were with a private tour that drove us right up to the ship. I don't think a taxi could do the same! There was a very long line of people standing there with their luggage. We were able to skip to the head of the line as it were since we were 6 people with an established tour agency.

Things may have changed since then, of course.

We were VERY glad we were with our tour agency! (We'd done 6 days in Peru beforehand.)

Mura

I'm wondering if rather than a regular taxi hiring a car service would help avoid those lines (assuming they are still there).

That would for sure be a question to ask if you look around! I cannot tell you how daunting that line was when we boarded Marina a year and a half ago!

Mura

The Oceania port is deep within a huge industrial complex. A shuttle bus ran continuously and it was a fifteen minute ride to get to the port gates. Taxis are at the port gate.

Our cruise ended in Lima so our transfer was in the opposite direction.

The port area seemed like a hell hole. Disembark from the shuttle bus at the gate and hordes of taxi drivers get in your face and some are trying to get your wallet.

We had a transfer service, I cannot think of the name of the company. I'll try to find it and will post. The driver was waiting for us and it was a twenty minute ride to the airport. The route to the airport is through very dirty and creepy areas.

We left Lima the evening prior to the formal disembarkation. Marina had been at sea for days due to missed ports and we were ready to get home.

Originally the transfer company was going to give us a city tour prior to the airport transfer but we canceled the tour portion. We also had booked the Wyndam to have a safe place to rest but we canceled it.

The Lima airport was as challenging as I've ever experienced. There is limited signage. We went through security but we were then held for at least twenty minutes. We were sent to various lines to wait and no one told us why. Several people inspected our documents which were in perfect order but we were afraid we wouldn't be allowed to go through. An American in front of us was put through a similar long inspection. In the end he was allowed to go through but not until he paid money, it was over one hundred dollars. Had anyone demanded money from us we would have gladly paid just to get out of there.

After security we couldn't find our gate, an incorrect gate number was posted on the board. We asked quite a few people for help, very few spoke Much English. After speaking with several airline employees from various carriers someone took the time to look up our gate.

Sammie,

It sounds like you were LEAVING the ship, is that right? My interpretation of OP's comment was that they are GOING to the ship.

Either way, it's difficult!

From what you way, I'm glad we were arriving, and especially that we had a service that would bring us up to the ship without having to stand in line for a few hours.

Mura

Gosh I feel like I'm reading about a different Lima airport and we've been to Jorge Chávez twice in the last 15 months, most recently in April when we had a 6 hour wait due to internal/international flight times. Granted, Callao is not the "garden spot" of Peru but we did not think it was much worse than industrial areas in many major port cities. The airport is quite small and not difficult to negotiate. Most likely the person who had to make a payment was either paying the departure tax (if not included with their airfare) or had lost their Tarjeta Andina de Migracion (TAM) card and had to pay to replace it.

We used Lima Cabs when we left the ship last year and they were reliable and very good about responding to emails. http://www.limacabs.com They can probably answer your question about where you can be dropped off as well as quote you a rate hotel to ship.

Enjoy your cruise Golfguy!

Thanks all.

Sounds like it's about a 20 minute ride from the airport hotel to entrance of the dock area, and that there is a shuttle that will take me to the ship if the taxi can't get in.

I don't plan on getting there real early so the long line issue should be moot.

Looking at Google Maps for Lima shows the airport pretty close to a substantial dock/pier complex and I'm guessing that's where the ship will be.

Thanks again.

WE debarked in Lima this past March off the Marina. WE learned the hard way how tough it is to debark independent of Oceania transportation. The only shuttle bus were port provided and took pax and luggage to the front gates, leaving you in a chaotic parking lot, outside with no facility whatsoever. Enough on that other than if you are independent , have a known taxi company pick you up. You have to put up with taxi drivers soliciting you as soon as you get off the bus, but they beg off if you are firm.

To answer the embarking pax question. WE learned from a taxi driver, embarkation is at another facility, which we did not see. Apparently it's a building, near the port. I would definitely determine the name of the facility for the taxi company taking one to the airport.

We love Lima( our third visit) and will continue to visit. The second time around through the port will be easy. The Port of Callao considers pax ships an after thought. In 2015 we were kicked out of the Port of Callao on the Celebrity Infinity. The fault lies with Oceania in that they don't provide complete information on the what, where, how and when regarding transportation services for independents.

Sammie,

It sounds like you were LEAVING the ship, is that right? My interpretation of OP's comment was that they are GOING to the ship.

Either way, it's difficult!

From what you way, I'm glad we were arriving, and especially that we had a service that would bring us up to the ship without having to stand in line for a few hours.

Mura

Yes, my descriptions were about the disembarkation process. Our impressions were not good of Lima and it is definitely not a place to wander about.

We used hakutours.com for the transfer.

Someone up thread thought the airport was small. There may be more than one airport or terminal. The international airport was large and poorly signed, we ran all over trying to find our flight.

There appeared to be an adjacent small terminal for short hop trips within Peru.( someone sent us over there when we were trying to find our gate).

Gosh I feel like I'm reading about a different Lima airport and we've been to Jorge Chávez twice in the last 15 months, most recently in April when we had a 6 hour wait due to internal/international flight times. Granted, Callao is not the "garden spot" of Peru but we did not think it was much worse than industrial areas in many major port cities. The airport is quite small and not difficult to negotiate. Most likely the person who had to make a payment was either paying the departure tax (if not included with their airfare) or had lost their Tarjeta Andina de Migracion (TAM) card and had to pay to replace it.

We used Lima Cabs when we left the ship last year and they were reliable and very good about responding to emails. http://www.limacabs.com They can probably answer your question about where you can be dropped off as well as quote you a rate hotel to ship.

Enjoy your cruise Golfguy!

WE debarked in Lima this past March off the Marina. WE learned the hard way how tough it is to debark independent of Oceania transportation. The only shuttle bus were port provided and took pax and luggage to the front gates, leaving you in a chaotic parking lot, outside with no facility whatsoever. Enough on that other than if you are independent , have a known taxi company pick you up. You have to put up with taxi drivers soliciting you as soon as you get off the bus, but they beg off if you are firm.

To answer the embarking pax question. WE learned from a taxi driver, embarkation is at another facility, which we did not see. Apparently it's a building, near the port. I would definitely determine the name of the facility for the taxi company taking one to the airport.

We love Lima( our third visit) and will continue to visit. The second time around through the port will be easy. The Port of Callao considers pax ships an after thought. In 2015 we were kicked out of the Port of Callao on the Celebrity Infinity. The fault lies with Oceania in that they don't provide complete information on the what, where, how and when regarding transportation services for independents.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We'll be disembarking in February (Regent), and plan to spend a few days in Lima (Miraflores), so will be booking private transfer no doubt. I've read lots of people who have enjoyed Lima; I guess it depends on where you stay and what parts of the city you visit.

And, we'll be flying out of Jorge Chávez airport eventually, so good to hear something positive about that as well!

We embarked on Marina in Lima in April this year.

There was no building at the port at least on this occasion.

We had been in Lima for a few days before the cruise and arrived at the airport close to 10pm. We had no problems apart from the fact our booked car with driver never turned up which was a bit alarming. We were staying at Miraflores which is about 20kms from the airport. There is a Green Taxi stand in the arrival halls and you prepay at a counter. We were a bit concerned but we had no problems with the taxi service as we got to Miraflores in one piece. Green Taxis are perhaps an option if you need a taxi as we were advised by an expat Peruvian who lives here in Australia, not to hail a taxi under any circumstances :eek:. The airport is reasonably close to the port.

On cruise day, our hotel called a cab for us which dropped us at the port gates. There is mild chaos to say the least but it wasn't that bad. There were shuttle buses to take passengers to the ship. We just made sure our cases were loaded on to the bus.

There was no building at all. Check in was done on board the ship in the show lounge and this was fairly pain free.

I think departing Lima by ship is perhaps a little easier than disembarking.

We had a great time in Lima and would happily go back.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We'll be disembarking in February (Regent), and plan to spend a few days in Lima (Miraflores), so will be booking private transfer no doubt. I've read lots of people who have enjoyed Lima; I guess it depends on where you stay and what parts of the city you visit.

And, we'll be flying out of Jorge Chávez airport eventually, so good to hear something positive about that as well!

Wendy,

We have stayed at the JW Marriott in the lovely Miraflores District, within walking distance of many great restaurants. Make dining reservations well in advance as some of the "top" restaurants are booked months ahead!

With common sense and your good attitude you should enjoy your visit to Lima. Follow Bronte2's advise about the cabs. And, since you've been through the Cairo Airport (my assumption), Jorge Chávez will be a breeze :) ;) Have a great trip!

I second that recommendation on the JW Marriott. They also have a on site car service that will pick you up at the airport (with a sign) at the customs exit or drop you off curb side (taxis cannot get right up to the front sidewalk)

We actually had the concierge-recommended tour operator pick us up at the "Port Gate" and give us a tour for the rest of the day and the drop us off at teh Hotel. . Inversiones Kintaro, Claudia Salazar, reservaskintaro@gmail .com Their operation was top shelf. New late model Hyundai 12 pax vans (like the Benz very comfy). A/C works great. Used them three times in three days. As I indicated, there was a lot of confusion on debarkation and they waited and waited and then found us. (Ships' fault.) They specialize in smaller tours groups of 8-12.