Don't want to miss the plane!

krisbtr

In my previous cruises, we have always driven. This time we are flying to Fort Lauderdale to sail on the conquest. I have already decided to fly in the night before. My question is about flights home. I have FTTF and don't want to hang around the airport all day, but also don't want to cut it so close. Would I be able to make it for an 11:30 flight, or should I make it later?

You could probably make the 11:30 flight, but if I were you I would choose a later flight. Carnival recommends flights after Noon. If you did self-debarkation and got a taxi to the airport, you would probably make it. That being said, Fort Lauderdale Airport is extremely busy on cruise days, and lines are long for both check-in and security.

In my previous cruises, we have always driven. This time we are flying to Fort Lauderdale to sail on the conquest. I have already decided to fly in the night before. My question is about flights home. I have FTTF and don't want to hang around the airport all day, but also don't want to cut it so close. Would I be able to make it for an 11:30 flight, or should I make it later?

The Conquest is out of Fort Lauderdale -- you should be just fine. The airport is about a five minute drive from Port Everglades, if even.

Take a taxi or Uber so that you don't have to wait for a shuttle to fill up.

We did self-debark on our Victory Cruise. Seems everyone decided to do the same. When they began calling groups there was such a backup that they stopped before they got to ours. When we were finally called, it was very crowded, and we were finally leaving the parking garage at 10:30 (we had parked at the port). We did not have FTTF.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You could probably make the 11:30 flight, but if I were you I would choose a later flight. Carnival recommends flights after Noon. If you did self-debarkation and got a taxi to the airport, you would probably make it. That being said, Fort Lauderdale Airport is extremely busy on cruise days, and lines are long for both check-in and security.

Would you please rearrange your cruises so they don't go completely horizontal? This causes all posts on a thread to be waaay wide;)

What if the ship is delayed getting back to port due to the weather or a medical emergency at the previous port? To each his/her own, but I never book return flights earlier than late afternoon in order to allow for uncertainties. Consider it free insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

That is a great time.

Make sure there are just a few ships in port on the date you are disembarking. I think there's a link somewhere that provides this info. I was off the Conquest in early March by 9:00 AM (self disembark) and at the FLL airport before 9:30 AM. FLL was a total madhouse! There were 4 of us cruising with a flight departure time of 1:30 PM. We finally made it to the gate area at 12:45 PM. It took over 3 hrs to check our baggage and go thru TSA, even with Pre-check. I later found out that there were about 5-6 cruise ships that arrived in Port Everglades that morning, and one of them was the mega beast, the Oasis of the Seas. To be honest, I have made earlier flights out of FLL so this may just have been a fluke, but I try to have a flight home no earlier than 12:30 PM. No problem with leaving the ship or Customs. It was FLL airport. Good luck to you and happy cruising!

Thank you for letting me know. I use my iPad for Cruise Critic and it looked fine on that. Should be better now.

Looks much better. Thank you :)

I would much rather read all the post but can't deal with scrolling back and forth.

There are some people that have been asked to fix the way their countdown clocks were listed on their post and ignored request. They are the ones who get put on ignore.

Thanks again

Bill

I guess I'm pushing the envelope. I have a 9:40am flight booked after our Allure cruise in November.:eek:

Bill

I guess I'm pushing the envelope. I have a 9:40am flight booked after our Allure cruise in November.:eek:

Bill

This one, I would say you are definitely pushing the envelope. Even if all goes well and you get off the ship first thing, keep in mind that you are going to the airport on a Sunday, which is a very busy day in Fort Lauderdale. Even if you check-in on-line the night before and print boarding passes, etc., you will still need to check luggage and go through security. Security lines will be long, as will the lines to check your luggage (both inside and curbside). My last flight on a Sunday near that time took me almost an hour to get through Security.

I am a risk taker, but this is not a risk that I would be willing to take.