Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Hi Norris ...loving your review and sense of humor .

I am a fellow Brit ...lived near you in Camberwell and worked at Dulwich Hospital .

Small world isn't it ...we both love cruising hope to meet you and Carol one day.

Welcome and thanks for reading and expressing yourself.

I'm always glad to see British people reading along as I always make my heritage clear, even though much of my bloodline is Guinness and that's not a British drink. I signed a contract with that company when I was young and foolish. Their lawyers are holding me to it as apparently I am a "great and lawsuit-worthy Ambassador for the Brand".

London, and particularly South London played a great part in my life and I regret not returning there more often to see it change. Now, after 22 years since my last visit (for two days) I'm sure its changes would be a shock to me. The Skyline has certainly changed and the prices of property have grown immensely.

Thanks for your kind comments and for popping in to say hi.

Stick with this until the end as I have some good pics coming along, day by day.

The glacier close-ups are some of my favorite photos.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris...another lurker here out of the shadows. We've done 2 Alaskan Cruisetours and your pictures and commentary bring back great memories.

Thanks,

Jim

Welcome Jim!

2 Cruisetours are 2 more than we've done. Looking forward to our first-through very long-range binoculars, alas.

Norris

I arrived at Positano and stood out by the shops waiting for Carol. As 9p.m approached I got a text from her. She had arrived a few minutes earlier and our waitress Gen had been waiting for us at the front door and invited her in to sit. We had our regular table so I went on in and joined her at table 129.

The Head Waiter came by to offer a greeting and my Merlot in Riedel stemware was brought forth after confirmation that I wanted it again.

Shrimp cocktail for me with a soft focus

30096065932_8e8df18a9f_b.jpg

Carol's pate (?)

30176017266_9c672b463f_b.jpg

and our Lobster bisque

29581347833_241d51811d_b.jpg

Carol's King Crab legs which I got to taste and were yummy

29914652650_66ce454686_b.jpg

My leek and potato pot pie, the one Curtis Stone dish on the menu

30125617561_abfae85bcf_b.jpg

I broke through the crust and removed the lid to let some steam escape

30210574655_17e072e719_b.jpg

I went in with a spoon for that first bite. Carol was watching me. We are both familiar with CS from watching so much Food TV (Bravo's Top Chef mainly).

She raised an eyebrow...."good?"

I said nothing but scooped up another spoonful and passed the spoon over to her.

"Wow! So much flavor!" she said and I nodded. It was super yummy and I ate the whole bowl and the light flaky lid. I look forward to trying more CS dishes in the future. Maybe they won't all be this good but then maybe they will.

Carol had butter toffee ice cream for dessert but I had none as I was satisfied.

It was another fine meal with stellar service and what we had come to expect in Portofino. Only the roast lamb on our first visit had been disappointing.

A leisurely stroll on Promenade deck led to another early night-abed by 11p.m.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, would be our last port-Skagway and our adventure there would be the rightly famous White Pass and Yukon Railway. We had taken this train in 2011 but this time we would be riding in the new Luxury car with swiveling leather armchairs, only 12 passengers and a waiter tending an open bar with snacks.

I, of course would have to be up early to see us arrive.

• Like 1

Before I begin our Skagway day I should correct that Curtis Stone dish- it was chicken and leek pot pie.

I was up in the dark and hit the buffet for my first coffee. When I went outside to the aft pool area we were backing in to our berth already. It was before 6 a.m.

30236017895_19741448af_b.jpg

Sunrise would be at 6.30 so I didn't have long to wait for some light.

29605777854_f2623817e1_b.jpg

I see a white and blue aerial lift on the dock which is usually a sign that there will be some painting happening later.

30236024915_43d5f8a833_b.jpg

Norwegian Pearl is already here

30236027735_94302e3813_b.jpg

And the Jewel is arriving and preparing to turn to her berth

29605782754_75f015d846_b.jpg

I scurry forward to the bow...

30201190036_49c132770c_b.jpg

Would love to know where you stayed in a yurt. We are planning 5 or 6 days pre cruise as well.

Someone (not me) spoke of staying in a yurt. You may have to scroll back through the posts to find them.

Perhaps they will read this today and answer you.

Norris

Wow, another review by Norris that started in Sept. This demonstrates my careless lack of attention because I just found it today. My self imposed punishment will be no Scotch after dinner tonight. :D

In 31 days we go out on the Star for the first time, so I will pay close attention to your photo's.

Then Next May we depart Vancouver on the Ruby for Alaska. One whole night on that 1st cruise down to Seattle, then we go North on the second cruise while staying in the same Cabin. More close attention.

One more time Thanks for all of your effort.

Bob

Facebook whats that?

Norris, we have been on the Aleutian Ballad 6 times, will go every year I sail to Alaska. Great people, the eagle show is unbelievable. It is best to go in May or June for the best eagle show. When the salmon start running the go inland. You will still see them in July, August and September. May and June are best. Say hi to Capt. Terry for me!

Norris,

Another vote here for the Deadliest Catch Excursion!!! We did it on our first Alaska Cruise several years ago and it was our most favorite experience. We too are die hard Deadliest Catch fans as well! I could not easily find my HDD with pictures to share some pictures with you right now, so I figured that a YouTube search would provide a good example to show you "some" Eagles from the Deadliest Catch Excursion more quickly.

(This is not my video, just one I found on the web.)

It is not legal to feed Bald Eagles in the US, but the Aleutian Ballad has a special arrangement with some Alaska Indians to do this in their Tribal area. So this is a rare treat to observe. Plus they always see a "few" Eagles as you can see in the video! The crew and the tour that they do is AWESOME! Also all of the trip is done in calm waters, they have heaters, covered seating, parkas for your use, along with plenty of fun demonstrations of the things that the Alaska Fishermen do. They even have a huge glass tank on board that they put some of the critters in for you to see close up, not to mention some that they let you hold!

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

Norris, I'm going to be sure to show my DH your pictures from the Mt Roberts Tramway. He would love that view! :cool: Eventually, I'm hoping he will tell me he actually wants to go to Alaska!

I can hardly wait to see your glacier pctures. :D

Edited by perfect match

Norris, you went all the way to Positano from Alaska for dinner? Wow. I think you meant Portofino?

I don't recall confusing the two but wouldn't be surprised if I did as even in conversation (in the pre-Guinness phase) I mix them up. Portofino is (A) a charming fishing village in Italy I haven't visited yet (but will) and (B) the name of one of the MDRs on the Star.

Positano is a cool colorful town tumbling down to the sea in Italy and a place I have visited and will never forget. It features in my Ocean Princess ramble.

I had one of the most simple and memorable meals of my life there in a hotel.

Glad to see you are (A) Paying attention and (B) still following along as I realized tonight that I have been writing this for three weeks already.

Cheers Barky!

Norris

Norris, comment # 457 is where Positano popped up not that it really matters to the story. It just gave me a bit of a giggle.

Have no fear, I am paying attention and I am following along; I'm hanging on by my fingernails waiting with bated breath for the end so I can re-read it in its entirety. Once that is done I will try to patiently wait for the next review.

I have read all your reviews and blog so I am well acquainted with your Ocean Princess ramble as well.

I'm missing Carol stopping in with her comments. I hope all is well with her?

Wow, another review by Norris that started in Sept. This demonstrates my careless lack of attention because I just found it today. My self imposed punishment will be no Scotch after dinner tonight. :D

In 31 days we go out on the Star for the first time, so I will pay close attention to your photo's.

Then Next May we depart Vancouver on the Ruby for Alaska. One whole night on that 1st cruise down to Seattle, then we go North on the second cruise while staying in the same Cabin. More close attention.

One more time Thanks for all of your effort.

Bob

Bob, good to see you pop up in one of my rambles again. I usually say "never too late" but eventually, when finished, this begins it's journey from page one to the oblivion of page 25 and beyond where only someone in a deep water submersible (probably the movie director James Cameron) can see it. Luckily for me it's in my signature so anything I write on CC will help me get back to it in the future (if we have one come November)

Where are you going on the Star?

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Another vote here for the Deadliest Catch Excursion!!! We did it on our first Alaska Cruise several years ago and it was our most favorite experience. We too are die hard Deadliest Catch fans as well! I could not easily find my HDD with pictures to share some pictures with you right now, so I figured that a YouTube search would provide a good example to show you "some" Eagles from the Deadliest Catch Excursion more quickly.

(This is not my video, just one I found on the web.)

It is not legal to feed Bald Eagles in the US, but the Aleutian Ballad has a special arrangement with some Alaska Indians to do this in their Tribal area. So this is a rare treat to observe. Plus they always see a "few" Eagles as you can see in the video! The crew and the tour that they do is AWESOME! Also all of the trip is done in calm waters, they have heaters, covered seating, parkas for your use, along with plenty of fun demonstrations of the things that the Alaska Fishermen do. They even have a huge glass tank on board that they put some of the critters in for you to see close up, not to mention some that they let you hold!

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

Mark, thanks for the video link! I watched a Chinese tourist video also and am thinking I would want to be in that first row on the upper deck and have a Go Pro on my head-I did that on a catamaran sail in St Kitts but the speed of the boat and the wind made it impossible to keep the horizon straight. This video is in nice calm water. Carol is now gung-ho on the Aleutian Ballad idea.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
wrong heading

Norris, I'm going to be sure to show my DH your pictures from the Mt Roberts Tramway. He would love that view! :cool: Eventually, I'm hoping he will tell me he actually wants to go to Alaska!

I can hardly wait to see your glacier pctures. :D

Nancy if he is reading along with you hopefully all he sees will help sway him-or does he only look at things you show him?

I'm still a day or two away from the glacier pics but the ones on the first page should give you an idea of what's ahead. I took a lot of photos in Skagway and then a lot on the train. Skagway comes up next.

Norris

Norris, comment # 457 is where Positano popped up not that it really matters to the story. It just gave me a bit of a giggle.

Have no fear, I am paying attention and I am following along; I'm hanging on by my fingernails waiting with bated breath for the end so I can re-read it in its entirety. Once that is done I will try to patiently wait for the next review.

I have read all your reviews and blog so I am well acquainted with your Ocean Princess ramble as well.

I'm missing Carol stopping in with her comments. I hope all is well with her?

Barky, indeed I said Positano! LOL. My subconscious mind plus they both start with a P and end in an O. Luckily my spellchecker didn't substitute Piano or Palomino.

Carol is trying to catch up when she's not working and hopefully she'll chime in at some point. She doesn't see the photos until they're on CC. I have shown her some videos once I have them on Youtube under the Private setting.

Youtube is putting them up in 1080p now as opposed to the 720p step-down they limited me to earlier in the year.

Thanks for continuing along on this journey with me!

Norris

29606635063_b458ca88d9_b.jpg

My third visit to this tiny town and as soon as they open the gangway I'll be off for my traditional walk into town before the hordes arrive from the 3 ships after breakfast.

Before I get off here's a pic of the Norwegian Pearl taken just before the light improved

30201229466_11a3f75de6_b.jpg

Once on the dock...

29939547670_839bceec1d_b.jpg

29606663853_bd7a926bd8_b.jpg

There's a marina here where the ferry to Haines leaves from

30201304526_d362054d3a_b.jpg

29605905704_e15f5c4528_b.jpg

There's a couple of restaurants close to the ship

30150596151_2a9522639f_b.jpg

I see words like King Crab legs and Halibut and maybe someday I'll actually eat some here and give the Trident Grill a miss for lunch. We missed Tracy's King Crab in Juneau...

There's a shuttle into town (for a small fee) but it's only a 12 to 15 minute walk according to your pace. I walk quickly but of course have to stop now and then to photograph something.

Like this

30236206545_f12c327fab_b.jpg

There's a train waiting by the ship. It just needs the engines.

29939629550_e9d251d440_b.jpg

I always stop at this little pond as it's so restful

29606741893_472a5cdff2_b.jpg

Another pair of engines cross the street (keep your wits about you) slowly on their way to the train station in town.

30150611031_8e1c21dd99_b.jpg

I reach the edge of town

30150614201_c11f651e08_b.jpg

This is the train station where they have a gift shop and restrooms. Oh-and they also sell train tickets!

30121284602_956c462645_b.jpg

They have coffee too but there's a Starbucks across the street that I'll visit later.

30150621941_0d89e9c7bc_b.jpg

30201374626_ae8365eae0_b.jpg

The Red Onion is a popular tourist spot but I have never been inside

30150637371_875af497f0_b.jpg

In the distance - Norwegian Pearl

29606765383_362c1cbc46_b.jpg

I look down side streets as I mosey along

30201383786_a37d28f177_b.jpg

This is the street that the train station and Starbucks is on

I walk down the main street

30150644211_c98f5c554b_b.jpg

In a shop window a prospector fills his canteen

29939666920_19e5677553_b.jpg

The building facade made of driftwood

30236242765_3145ff16ec_b.jpg

I'm reminded that I am running low on Tanzanite

30121318582_e2d57b1d9c_b.jpg

Rhubarb, which makes a great pie

30150656521_487d855875_b.jpg

Rhubarb, now Indian Curry...I'm starting to think about breakfast

30150660261_10988a7019_b.jpg

I arrived at Positano and stood out by the shops waiting for Carol. As 9p.m approached I got a text from her. She had arrived a few minutes earlier and our waitress Gen had been waiting for us at the front door and invited her in to sit. We had our regular table so I went on in and joined her at table 129.

The Head Waiter came by to offer a greeting and my Merlot in Riedel stemware was brought forth after confirmation that I wanted it again.

Shrimp cocktail for me with a soft focus

30096065932_8e8df18a9f_b.jpg

Carol's pate (?)

30176017266_9c672b463f_b.jpg

and our Lobster bisque

29581347833_241d51811d_b.jpg

Carol's King Crab legs which I got to taste and were yummy

29914652650_66ce454686_b.jpg

My leek and potato pot pie, the one Curtis Stone dish on the menu

30125617561_abfae85bcf_b.jpg

I broke through the crust and removed the lid to let some steam escape

30210574655_17e072e719_b.jpg

I went in with a spoon for that first bite. Carol was watching me. We are both familiar with CS from watching so much Food TV (Bravo's Top Chef mainly).

She raised an eyebrow...."good?"

I said nothing but scooped up another spoonful and passed the spoon over to her.

"Wow! So much flavor!" she said and I nodded. It was super yummy and I ate the whole bowl and the light flaky lid. I look forward to trying more CS dishes in the future. Maybe they won't all be this good but then maybe they will.

Carol had butter toffee ice cream for dessert but I had none as I was satisfied.

It was another fine meal with stellar service and what we had come to expect in Portofino. Only the roast lamb on our first visit had been disappointing.

A leisurely stroll on Promenade deck led to another early night-abed by 11p.m.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, would be our last port-Skagway and our adventure there would be the rightly famous White Pass and Yukon Railway. We had taken this train in 2011 but this time we would be riding in the new Luxury car with swiveling leather armchairs, only 12 passengers and a waiter tending an open bar with snacks.

I, of course would have to be up early to see us arrive.

Ahhhh, Curtis Stone. That is something I will miss on the Star next year. His has been our favorite speciality restaurant on all the ships we have sailed. Usually we pick an itinerary first and the ship falls in. Might have to switch that thought process around! Enjoying your review!!

Going out of Business is never a good sign in a window

30201432726_543efd667d_b.jpg

A mural on a corrugated tin wall. I couldn't get a better angle without going into a narrow space filled with discarded crap

30150663501_16ec402a87_b.jpg

A more visible section of the mural

30121350642_fa6709e259_b.jpg

I always stop at the Skagway Inn to take garden pics

29939706540_8b23628d27_b.jpg

30236268225_051d3b7916_b.jpg

30121359922_437da4fdaa_b.jpg

A look back

30121363752_42e88a11f9_b.jpg

I make my way across the street, weaving my way through the hordes of people and the busy traffic....

29606015194_539823c74d_b.jpg

A bubble-making machine catches my eye in a side street

29606018554_e3edf99ce6_b.jpg

29606023414_f795e4be2f_b.jpg

Note the Restrooms sign- I did as I needed one

Good clean facilities and when I come out I stop to take a few pics of a little playground next door

29939727230_c96a31e57f_b.jpg

It's dedicated to the memory of Mollie Walsh who was murdered by her estranged husband. She was 30 years old in 1902

30150691471_3a07c3373a_b.jpg

29606036224_a70478d56a_b.jpg

The doorway to the house of the Bubble-making machine. Maybe the paint store went out of Business?

29606039014_79bd7e7313_b.jpg

A really ugly lamp at such a bargain price!

29606832503_b55ddbd0b2_b.jpg

You'll notice a few things wrong here...firstly the "designer" put his name to it and may never work again. Secondly there are two price tags on it-50% off and 40% off. The 40% off states $1580 regular price (the one in the designer's pipe dreams) but now you can have it for only $948! (the price of a cruise for two). I know-beauty is in the eye of the beholder...