Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

29364535624_2ca77b1f98_b.jpg

29364537174_780aa38677_b.jpg

29364538804_52b6a227a7_b.jpg

29364540834_3a296c17d1_b.jpg

We come to some rocks where there is some ancient "art" on show. There's a Native artist on board to describe what we are seeing although I am not really listening. I'm changing lenses. To me it just looks like the colors are naturally in the rock.

29364542794_683fb5343f_b.jpg

29364545034_2f228ea1c0_b.jpg

I am amazed and thankful for your in depth review and pictorial content. I read your review last year from Rome and the med. This is so awesome. I am going to Alaska on Emerald next year; it will be my first cruise to Alaska; so your pictorial review helps me see up front and close what to expect. I subscribed to your you tube channel; which allows me to watch the video's. Thanks for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. Cheers

Hi and thank you for your enthusiasm and compliments!

As you can see from my Youtube channel (found under my name) I have a lot of Alaska videos to supplement what you see here. Lots of photos on the other two reviews, Coral and Diamond but after the Diamond I thought I needed a better camera and I found it and that began the deluge of photos, the culmination of which you are seeing here. I was excited at the prospect of getting some crisp photos on this trip. 12 of them will make it on to our annual Calendar thanks to Walgreens. It's always hard choosing which 12.

I see the photos an hour before I put them on CC. I only see them on the camera at the start of a batch when I check to see what the settings are giving me. When I see them in Lightroom I remember every shot of course and it's fun to see the end result.

I haven't watched the video of this boat trip yet, either in the camera or on the computer. I'll see it today and then you will.

Thanks for being here.

Norris

The Captain shifts into Warp Drive

29908858561_2937f9b2c0_b.jpg

29878554742_af96438748_b.jpg

29878556092_dc1a94043a_b.jpg

29878557362_c965b647aa_b.jpg

While we had been in Rudyard Bay we were treading in the wake of the great British Explorer and map maker Captain James Cook. He would have been hornswoggled and his timbers would have shivered at the speed of our boat as it ate up the miles back to Ketchikan.

It was a smooth ride though on a calm sea and I took all the photos standing.

The sun was shining and when we slowed it was much less breezy and cool (not cold). We saw the sea barge being towed by an ocean tug on it's regular run from Seattle to Anchorage.

29908869281_73ac8b0482_b.jpg

Yes, it looks ungainly and can't be mistaken for a cruise ship, although it looks no worse than some of the older Carnival ships still at sea (ouch!)

I love the sky in this shot

29365427243_91ff1fdd4c_b.jpg

29365429473_58c0cfdcac_b.jpg

We pick up speed again

29958054376_20821f21a0_b.jpg

The steward brings around some crackers and fresh salmon. Now we've both eaten our own weight in salmon over the years but this was a flavor bomb from the local waters as Ketchikan boasts that it's the Salmon Capital of the World.

I thought love was only true in fairy tales-but I loved this salmon! I'm a believer!

*You can buy salmon in Alaska and have it shipped home. I wish we had done so!

• Like 1

Now we are back in the environs of Ketchikan, passing the Coast Guard station.

29365434373_d897078b70_b.jpg

Our home for the past few hours

29878570322_da72903c92_b.jpg

29878573262_cc6be20363_b.jpg

We had a great crew onboard. Superb commentator, friendly deck and steward staff who love sharing this part of the world. A Captain who would slow down to let us get up close and take our photos. A bar on board. Three toilets. Endless hot drinks and munchies. Binoculars and a map included. Another great Princess Excursion.

I should mention that a couple of weeks before our trip Princess had a 10% off sale on all the excursions so I canceled them and re-booked and saved some money. We ended up paying $1500 for all of them. We booked 4 and now you have seen one.

Our mornings are not usually this exciting!

Thank you, Norris.

What a superlative combination this review is- the beauty of nature in Alaska brought to us courtesy of your commentary and photos.

Enjoying every bit.

Tomorrow morning will be my last read of it for a while as we will go to Rome to be on C. Silhouette for 2 weeks (and try to make it a policy to not have internet while away.)

Still I suppose there are worse ways to miss it for a while.

It will be great to come back to.

Sandra.

Thank you, Norris.

What a superlative combination this review is- the beauty of nature in Alaska brought to us courtesy of your commentary and photos.

Enjoying every bit.

Tomorrow morning will be my last read of it for a while as we will go to Rome to be on C. Silhouette for 2 weeks (and try to make it a policy to not have internet while away.)

Still I suppose there are worse ways to miss it for a while.

It will be great to come back to.

Sandra.

Thanks Sandra! 2 weeks on the Silhouette will be amazing. Stunning ship!

Rome? It's just old buildings and art I hear.

This may be done and in the can by the time you return. I have to have it finished before our fall foliage tour of Michigan in the 3rd week of October, hence my squirrel-like industry when I have the time.

Bon voyage!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

Norris, your photos are absolutely amazing!!! Good job! Next time you are in Ketchikan, check out the "Deadliest Catch tour". You will get your "eagle fix" many times over!!! :)

Oh, I've been looking at that tour for years now and it will happen!

The Aleutian Ballad crab boat is in my docking shots and I have watched every episode of Deadliest Catch since day one.

Good for eagle spotting? It shall be done!

Book it! Dano.

Norris

Norris - enjoying your words and images so very much.

You probably know this, but you can rent those "big gun" lenses. I was still shooting a Canon DSLR when I went to Antarctica (now use a micro 4/3 system). I rented the 100 - 400L for the trip. I could see the barnacles on the tails of the whales I got pictures of from the ship. If you can't justify the one time expense, renting works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norris - enjoying your words and images so very much.

You probably know this, but you can rent those "big gun" lenses. I was still shooting a Canon DSLR when I went to Antarctica (now use a micro 4/3 system). I rented the 100 - 400L for the trip. I could see the barnacles on the tails of the whales I got pictures of from the ship. If you can't justify the one time expense, renting works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks jm, and in fact the 70-200mm was rented from Borrowlenses.com who were great to deal with. I rented the lens for $100 a week (2 weeks as I needed practice and return time)and I bought insurance (included in price) as the lens costs $2,000. It didn't come with a case but I bought a little beauty called the Hermitshell, made for that lens. Now that I own the case maybe the lens will follow?

Do I want one? Yes but it's not urgent as I can't see me using it in the Caribbean or Germany or our road trips. But for Alaska, Norway,South America (last two on bucket list at the top) then I will need one and can buy it (or rent it) knowing it's exactly what I want. I could have bought it from Am**** and used it and returned it but that's a crappy thing to do.

If I am to upgrade any lens to an L lens (pro quality) it would be my Ultra Wide Angle as I use that 90% of the time.

If I was willing to indulge myself in a $$$$ spend right now it would be to a Canon 5D SR-their 50 Megapixel camera as I am a craver of fine detail above all.

Currently that would be my descending into a deep rabbit hole...

I am using an 18 megapixel and getting good results. I need to be able to afford to cruise first. I have something to work towards at least.

I will likely rent the 5D SR to make sure it gives me what I crave.

Our Celebrity final payment comes at the end of this month. Must be prudent.

I'm glad you are enjoying this long read and thanks for coming aboard!

Norris

One thing the Princess Excursion list didn't tell us was that there isn't a bus ride back to the ship. This was bad news for Carol who was faced with a long walk, so as I got off the boat before her, cash tipping as I went for a job well done, I spoke to one of the hosts on the dock and a ride to the Star was arranged.

I wanted to take the walk as I like this town and its waterfront.

30009524931_ddd63064b8_b.jpg

It's one lovely sunny day! 70 plus degrees I'd say.

Duck Tour? I've just seen eagles, pal!!

29465027614_ccc936059f_b.jpg

Well hello there HAL!

30009535851_898fd95411_b.jpg

30009561021_56bdb2c8db_b.jpg

29978749562_473c6d56e8_b.jpg

29465405183_4dcf71489f_b.jpg

29465413923_bb45677c07_b.jpg

Here's a shop that I walk through as a shortcut. It's stocked to the rafters with tourist goodies including clothes. I should have picked up a flannel shirt for next time I visit Alaska. As it's the last two weeks of ships visiting before the staff head back to the lower 48 they were having a sale- but it's retail so when are they not?

30058571936_787f0a141f_b.jpg

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

30009625651_119660a496_b.jpg

Well, well, look who's here!

30009627591_006e6fba0c_b.jpg

There is my home

30009631471_21da9a5d13_b.jpg

We were lucky enough to be able to do 5 days on our own by land before our Alaska cruise several years ago. Two nights we stayed in a yurt right on a Bay whose Name Escapes me but I could look it up if anybody is interested. There was a home several Doors Down filled with people that went out fishing every day so at 5 o'clock every evening they would be out on the deck cleaning their fish And The Eagles would be calling and swooping like seagulls at home to get the parts of the fish they were throwing out . it was amazing and we have some fantastic eagle pictures

Norris, your photos are absolutely amazing!!! Good job! Next time you are in Ketchikan, check out the "Deadliest Catch tour". You will get your "eagle fix" many times over!!! :)

Totally agree! Saw plenty of eagles, plus this excursion is just fantastic. Did it back in 2011 on the Sapphire. We met one of the relief Captains from the show on our way to the dock. Gave me the whole story about replacing Capt. Phil on the Cornelia Marie. I'm a big DC fan and was blown away how well this excursion was conducted.:)

30058609836_56355eebd0_b.jpg

The sad amateurish DIY stern of the Island.

29978847182_14bb2a6df0_b.jpg

Our balcony is visible in this shot. Last cabin on Dolphin Deck with the white steel end to the balcony. Below the same, on Emerald Deck.

30058623126_76b2d3d8bf_b.jpg

29798221520_7b624323c4_b.jpg

I love fridge magnets too, as a souvenir of where we've been so I pop in here

29978839882_5ab9c22186_b.jpg

Alas not one!

Here's our fridge magnet collection in Chicago (a smaller one lives in Michigan)

We removed it from the fridge and got some magnetic display boards for the wall.

29470221264_650cddd6d2_b.jpg

And a detail of the Alaska section. The bear in the fishing jacket is my favorite.

30015052071_4b73eecdcc_b.jpg

Just a few hundred feet more

30058660636_844189f3f6_b.jpg

29798251510_5806d96b3f_b.jpg

• Like 1

29798260460_bfa388a4e9_b.jpg

Carol had arrived back at the ship before me and was already in the gym while it was quiet. She had a lecture on Alaskan Wildlife at 2.15 p.m to attend.

My plan was bold and simple and it was thus-to go to Tradewinds Bar and have a cold Guinness, followed by a visit to the Trident grill which was the same idea a lot of people had.

Oh-there's a surprise item on the menu today!

29465182674_538aa24eff_b.jpg

Crab cakes from a recipe from Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau! Must have.

29465187754_8b277e8a83_b.jpg

Intoxicating smells of meats searing on the hotplate. I get my usual plus crabby bonus, apply the salt and malt vinegar and a pool of HP sauce for fries dipping and off I go back up to the bar. By now the waiters know that when I nod my head like one of those dogs in the rear window of a car it means "Yes bring me a Guinness".

A heavenly and much needed plate of hot vittles

30058688776_5da35a36d2_b.jpg

Two crisp-batter crab cakes, knockwurst with sauerkraut and superb fries. The crab cakes weren't bursting with crabby goodness but were flavorful and delicious. A very satisfying lunch indeed. I hoped we could have lunch at Tracy's when in Juneau but in the end we didn't as Carol wasn't as gung-ho as I. But- next time!!

Now I could sit back and reflect on our wonderful morning away from the ship.

I was fed, watered and had the sun warming me and everyone else on deck.

No sound on MUTS. Nice.

29978860592_4583e3a114_b.jpg

30058695546_afce1e0e08_b.jpg

At 2 p.m-the ship left the dock gently, blew the horn and set to sea, with all passengers on board. I didn't realize the time and so didn't have cameras set up (next time!) Juneau here we come!

I retired to our cabin for a nap after my meal but would be awake when our afternoon tea would be delivered at 4pm

Carol loves her Afternoon Tea on the balcony. We'll be having dinner at 9 p.m again tonight as there is a comedian we want to see at 7.45 in the Princess Theater. We won't be attending the Elite/Suite/Platinum get together in Skywalkers, so this meal will be it for a whole 5 hours!!

29471316084_8c92372d27_b.jpg

We are a couple of hours out of Ketchikan by now. The Captain has told us that we will be sailing through Snow's Pass around 6 and he says there are often whales there. Carol is going to join those who will gather at the bow.

I will spend that time sheltered on the pool deck aft, outside of the buffet where I can get a cup of coffee.

29471317204_0c1a3e5b40_b.jpg

29471318224_062140ba65_b.jpg

29471319134_ce3413cd32_b.jpg

29471320884_fbe0926cfc_b.jpg

29471326954_01b9e5aff4_b.jpg

Oh, I've been looking at that tour for years now and it will happen!

The Aleutian Ballad crab boat is in my docking shots and I have watched every episode of Deadliest Catch since day one.

Good for eagle spotting? It shall be done!

Book it! Dano.

Norris

Facebook whats that?

Norris, we have been on the Aleutian Ballad 6 times, will go every year I sail to Alaska. Great people, the eagle show is unbelievable. It is best to go in May or June for the best eagle show. When the salmon start running the go inland. You will still see them in July, August and September. May and June are best. Say hi to Capt. Terry for me!

Facebook whats that?

Norris, we have been on the Aleutian Ballad 6 times, will go every year I sail to Alaska. Great people, the eagle show is unbelievable. It is best to go in May or June for the best eagle show. When the salmon start running the go inland. You will still see them in July, August and September. May and June are best. Say hi to Capt. Terry for me!

Hi Bubba-when you say the eagle show is unbelievable you mean they come close to the boat because of the catch aboard? Or is there a banjo-playing eagle among the crew? (I'm a sucker for the happy sound of the banjo)

If so you have just got Carol's attention and it will be added to the excursion list for our next Alaskan cruise, whenever that might be.

We only have one cruise booked at the minute-on Celebrity Reflection in January and beyond that our only long range commitment is a week in San Francisco in June 2018 to see Wagner's Ring Cycle (4 linked operas). We bought the tickets today, almost two years out as it will sell out.

We've done 3 Alaskan cruises in 5 years so we are likely to be back before too long.

Thanks for such a ringing endorsement of the A.B.

I'm a big Deadliest Catch fan since Day One and the Northwestern is my favorite boat/crew.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09