Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

29957733026_5d95c1e1ae_b.jpg

I love sneaking into a port under cover of darkness. I prepare the cannons...

The cannons? Or the Canons? (sorry, couldn't resist) Incidentally, I stared at the first picture of Ketchikan for several minutes - beautiful!

I decided to make it Canons with one n as the town is too pretty...

Some good pics a coming but only if you like natural beauty and the great outdoors.

cheers,

Norris

Jimmy, we see eye to eye.

Princess looks after at least 2 areas of our enjoyment very well and the food (#1) is something they have continued to develop. We all like to eat on a ship and they take that seriously. Ditto the entertainment (#2). Bands galore all over the ship, comedians, jugglers,pianists, string trios, unicyclists,balancers and great lively shows with pizazz that most folks can't see in their own town without forking out $$ for tickets.

Some complain that they are not up to Broadway or Vegas standards and I almost hurt myself laughing at their unthinking idiocy.

Cruise fares are ridiculously great value for money. They've raised Specialty Dining prices by $4 from $25 to $29. Still a steal! I can keep ordering as long as I have the appetite for $29? The Soup and the salad? and the Tiger Prawns? and the Steak-what? and all the sides? How much extra are those little lobster tails? They're included sir-shall I bring you four? (rhetorical)

I salute them for SHARE but have yet to eat there myself and have no opinion on the menu consequently (or do you need to taste it to declare a dislike?) The decor is all wrong for me but it's a modern trend to have hard wood floors and little in the way of soft furnishings and lots in the way of bright lights.

I get to taste some Curtis food later on....

I'm very glad you are still reading this. I can imagine many give up or die...

but I write for people who like to read. People like me.

Cheers! I still owe you a Guinness at some point if we ever sail together.

Norris

We had the good fortune to experience Share this past February on one of the few ships that has it. As a foodie, this was pure heaven! The cost puts many off but we felt the experience as a whole was worth it. Two waiters to take care of us, amazing food and we actually loved the decor of grey, taupes. The first day we boarded we went up to the Share restaurant and they had a display of the different courses for all to view. Different, very different and not for everyone. We are adventurous when it comes to many things, food included. We are disappointed Star does not have it but we will manage next May!

We had the good fortune to experience Share this past February on one of the few ships that has it. As a foodie, this was pure heaven! The cost puts many off but we felt the experience as a whole was worth it. Two waiters to take care of us, amazing food and we actually loved the decor of grey, taupes. The first day we boarded we went up to the Share restaurant and they had a display of the different courses for all to view. Different, very different and not for everyone. We are adventurous when it comes to many things, food included. We are disappointed Star does not have it but we will manage next May!

Thank you for this! I know we all have different tastes in food but I am curious to try SHARE some day and I'm glad you had a very positive experience.

Thanks for stopping in with this.

Glad to see you aboard!

I am reasonably adventurous with food but that blubber carpaccio I invented a while back sounds disgusting.

Norris

It's not windy nor cold even in the dark

29957709686_c8da0e70f6_b.jpg

The thin line thrown ashore will be tied to that forklift and it will haul the heavy mooring ropes ashore.

29957712936_1b19ca4a2e_b.jpg

29957717016_0abfbc1dca_b.jpg

29957737686_a50acd6d8b_b.jpg

Quietly and without drama we dock and the lines are secured.

While Carol intends to eat at the IC before going ashore I pop into the buffet and grab a simple plate of food.

29908560471_9e042ef129_b.jpg

It's bacon, really good baked beans, British bangers and giant cottage fries. The freshly baked roll is so I can make a bacon buttie which is buttered bread with all that bacon stuffed in the middle. I'm very diet conscious. Good food but on the luke-warm side and it only took 2 minutes to load my plate and begin eating.

Out back for a smoke.

29991720675_72b8b90439_b.jpg

We have company-Norwegian Jewel

29697925770_5b6b7a6912_b.jpg

Next up- Misty Fjords in a fast boat

In fact the only visible one I can recall is Neville Saldanha from India whom we met on our first two cruises and who worked the rooms like Wayne Newton and is just as witty. We shared some chuckles as I love to banter with someone quick-witted.

Neville, in my opinion, is tops in the fleet....he is the standard that I compare the other MD's to.

I finally caught up on your review and want to comment on Share. When we were on the Emerald earlier this Spring, we looked at the menu and were kind of "MEH" about it. During the course of the cruise, we attended the open house and were "intrigued" enough to book if for a night. Needless to say, we were TOTALLY impressed and LOVED it. So much so, we booked a second night. I would not hesitate to book it again. Full disclosure...we are Foodies and will try anything food related. The presentation, décor of the room, food...everything....outstanding in every way.

Sorry for the interruption....Norris, you now have the floor again.

Hi Norris.

Bob and Christine from the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Love your review and pics mate. Got us in the right mood for our 25 nighter from Beijing China to Sydney Australia in a couple of weeks on the golden.

All the best.

Bob and Chris.

Getting excited about seeing Alaska.

What are cottage slices please?

Sorry, cottage fries. Memory improving . .

Giant French fries which tasted like they were oven baked, non greasy.

Thanks for following along and welcome!

Norris

Hi Norris.

Bob and Christine from the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Love your review and pics mate. Got us in the right mood for our 25 nighter from Beijing China to Sydney Australia in a couple of weeks on the golden.

All the best.

Bob and Chris.

Bob and Chris welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have a humdinger of a cruise lined up! Enjoy!

I'm glad you are reading this.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Just love the beautiful pictures of Alaska before sunrise. DH enjoys the docking of the ship since he is retired US Navy.

Looking forward to more!

Pat & Mike

I love being up early and the challenge of taking photos in the dark.

The world is a beautiful place while most people are asleep.

I'm glad you enjoy these shots.

Norris

Neville, in my opinion, is tops in the fleet....he is the standard that I compare the other MD's to.

I finally caught up on your review and want to comment on Share. When we were on the Emerald earlier this Spring, we looked at the menu and were kind of "MEH" about it. During the course of the cruise, we attended the open house and were "intrigued" enough to book if for a night. Needless to say, we were TOTALLY impressed and LOVED it. So much so, we booked a second night. I would not hesitate to book it again. Full disclosure...we are Foodies and will try anything food related. The presentation, décor of the room, food...everything....outstanding in every way.

Sorry for the interruption....Norris, you now have the floor again.

Chris-and everyone, there are no interruptions as far as I am concerned as all are welcome to pop in and say whatever if it is relevant which this certainly is.

Now if you want to pop in and ask me the best way to smuggle liquor on board you are definitely in the wrong place as I don't entertain that idea.

Chris if I took Neville out of the mix I would define a Princess MD as a man in a suit who keeps a low profile. Neville is all over the ship and visible and represents the Food and Beverage business like a genial host who has quality control and the customer's enjoyment of the dining onboard as his priorities.

I'm happy to hear you had a good experience in SHARE!

Thanks for the insight.

Norris

I found some video in iMovie that I had forgotten I'd taken as I'd been posting away in a frenzy yesterday. It'll help get me caught up if I show them now as I am getting ready to pop ashore for the first time on this cruise.

First a clip from our Pub Lunch yesterday. Carol says we are listening to the Beatles. On the Ocean P it was Beatles all the way!

[YOUTUBE]myPGJOT7o5M[/YOUTUBE]

Then apparently I did stop for a minute the beginning of the Champagne Waterfall on my way to the theater. It's obvious that if not for the chronological photos, videos and Carol's notes the whole timeline would be a blur to me. Neil Roberts is the CD.

I used to stand in one spot and record for half an hour and go to the late theater show.

[YOUTUBE]CRju7C6DcB8[/YOUTUBE]

Next up, fresh from the Youtube oven is video of the docking in Ketchikan

Norris

So happy I found your fabulous review - will be on the Star for her Vancouver to LA Coastal voyage in October and am enjoying seeing how she looks compared to the last time I was on her in 2002.

Did you eat in the Crown Grill - assume photos of that will be coming soon.

Amazing photos -thanks so much. Barbara

So happy I found your fabulous review - will be on the Star for her Vancouver to LA Coastal voyage in October and am enjoying seeing how she looks compared to the last time I was on her in 2002.

Did you eat in the Crown Grill - assume photos of that will be coming soon.

Amazing photos -thanks so much. Barbara

Barbara, yes we did eat at the CG but it's way near the end (a couple of weeks away I imagine)

Glad you're enjoying this!

Norris

Norris,

Your pictures are stunning. Magic.

Judy

Thanks Judy!

I haven't seen the photos beyond Misty Fjords yet but am sure there are some good ones waiting up ahead.

I hadn't got beyond MF when I lost all my edits on the day I returned.

Norris

Our 2nd cruise on Princess was on Island to Alaska in Sep 2013. Loved that it was cold since we are from FL it was a nice change. Our daughter was homeschooled so we were able to go when we wanted and have it be less crowded. I think we went the week before the season closed.

It got us hooked on Princess. We booked the Canal cruise on Coral before leaving the ship.

Love your commentary, it's great when people don't take themselves too seriously and just kick back and have fun. Everyone experiences something different when on a cruise so I always take trip reports with a grain of salt and a little sugar ;). Your pictures are wonderful as well. Total respect for carrying so much equipment around. I know my shoulder hurt like h---- when I got back from our cruise from carrying the camera bag.