Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Norris - always a day late and a dollar short - but I am here and cannot wait to read your review, as always. I am the crazy cat lady that asked about your kitties in your Celebrity review. Good to hear Little Snowy is doing well.

I won't be able to read much until we get back from our road trip. Leaving Friday for a week to go to Crater Lake and along the PCH.

Our one and only Princess cruise was June 2016; we are on the Star same itinerary as you. All other cruises were on RC. Hoping to shove DH on a Celebrity cruise next year. We will see.

I am another huge fan of your reviews and cannot wait to follow along. Your pics and writing and take on life are priceless. Take care Norris! I will be probably chiming in at the end!

Carol

Carol-did you show your DH my Silhouette review? How could he resist that magnificent tub?

Driving the PCH is a passion of mine-hilly twisty roads with the sea on one side but I have never been up into Oregon (yet). I watch Portlandia on TV and that's as close as I have gotten.

Thanks for the many compliments and prepare to be dazzled by the natural beauty my camera saw...

Norris

Have you noticed how few people are on the Gastown streets on a Saturday morning? That's of course fine by us as we walk along the quiet streets.

29778735516_c7aa15a299_b.jpg

I love the trees growing on the top of that building. Hopefully safe from the loggers.

The Observation tower is the Vancouver Lookout in the Harbor Centre. When you walk in you are in a food court in what looks to be a cheesy mall but if you zig and zag following the signs you come to an elevator-no we're not taking the stairs! We paid $13 Canadian each for the ride, claiming a Senior discount (score!)

Up went the elevator, living up to it's name and out we came for our 360 degree view of this handsome city....

29188410713_133f9dbe15_b.jpg

29709314462_c3442b7742_b.jpg

29709316882_b6e25e8649_b.jpg

29709318952_cd1db482a7_b.jpg

It's about this time that I have to pinch myself. I am really here in Vancouver after months of spending a few seconds or minutes a day for 6 months, imagining?

I'm sailing on that??!! To where did you say? Alaska??! Isn't that where they have the mountains wreathed in cool damp mists and massive Glaciers that can't even be measured in Football Fields (the U.S standard for measuring things)?

Isn't that where you can be sitting on your ship's balcony sipping a latte and suddenly a whale (0.2 Football fields long) leaps out of the water obviously hoping to snatch the biscotti on your plate? Or an eagle flies by? Where you don't know if that's a bear or a raccoon going through your garbage and you don't really want to find out? Where moose the size of an offensive lineman roam free? That's where I want to be! But how to get there?

On this maybe? (over 3 Football fields long)

29709321382_05c734b12d_b.jpg

Nancy, so far since Sunday and a lot of time on the computer I've only covered up until 10 a.m Saturday.....our first 18 hours since arriving in Van and 7 of those were spent sleeping. In short you ain't seen nothing yet and certainly none of Alaska. We go to the same ports over and over (this was our third time in 5 years of cruising) and are never bored for a minute.

It'll be a few days before I am actually showing you Alaskan pics but they are worth the wait.

Norris

Aw, Norris, you know I'm settled in for the long haul! Got my cup of tea and plenty bon bons ready. :D

I think those photos you shot from the observation tower are an excellent place to start getting DH warmed up to the idea of an Alaska cruise and land tour. He's a real sucker for a great view! :D

What a brilliant piece of naval architecture a Grand Class Princess ship is when you can see it at one glance from above. He fit 6 swimming pools on this thing (including the crew pool and the kids pool)! A huge movie screen and a bird's eye view disco bringing up the rear. Wrap-around sheltered promenade deck?

Yeah, doofus, it's got that. Rock climbing wall and water park? Now- seriously, would I, Norris, sail on a tub if they junked up the top deck with scaffolding and rope bridges?

HELL NO to the power of Ten!

I WANT THIS.....

29709325392_c37818f182_b.jpg

Designed by an Italian, like the best suits and sports cars- Signori Giacomo Mortola. Interior decor by Teresa Anderson from Peru. A winning combination.

One last look. Vancouver-what a dump!

29709328192_ecac6b3513_b.jpg

I check my watch and we are tight for time as we have to be back in our room before 11 a.m or miss our chance to have a Bellman take our luggage to the ship.

I quicken the pace.

Another "last" look...

29709332472_66a4b7f847_b.jpg

29709329772_5fae3dbe38_b.jpg

29196023123_194c505242_b.jpg

29196027343_3a15ea5647_b.jpg

29196031993_f1c9bd083e_b.jpg

29739486561_7d6b234714_b.jpg

29739487521_2ae7befd24_b.jpg

And we have come 360 degrees

29739489091_ff7af3dc78_b.jpg

Let's bail! The clock is ticking. We get back to ground level and Carol tells me to go on ahead and I walk briskly back to the hotel. I arrive in our room at 10.58 a.m and call the bellman. Made the cut off! He'll be right up. I prepare a tip from the Canadian money I got from the ATM yesterday. He comes and the luggage goes. Carol is back in the room by this time and we are already packed.

There will now be a brief interlude while I shower before boarding the ship.

Yes I woke up early but didn't want to wake Carol by showering under the Tropical Rainfall showerhead and went out into the streets without bathing (the homeless people didn't notice, nor care). I had a busy morning but now was my time.

While I am sudsing up and singing Against the Wind by Bob Seger and luxuriating in the fluffy towels of the Pan Pacific, I'll leave you with a video I took at 6 a.m....

[YOUTUBE]R9Hc410XMJM[/YOUTUBE]

"Seems like yesterday, but it was long ago...." sing it Bob

At 11.40 we had taken the elevator down to Cruise Ship level (CS) and walked through the underbelly of Canada Place, past the waiting tour or transfer buses,to the Princess hall where we would show our boarding passes after filling in the Health Questionnaire. We saw the Preferred Passenger line and indeed we did prefer that as there was no one in it.

Nice lady welcomed us "back" as she knew we sailed with Princess before. All going well. Passport? Sure, here ya go. Furrowed brow. Calls supervisor who asks "do you have your ESTA form? Nope, I don't need one as the Princess website says if you are a UK Passport holder or have a Green Card as a resident Alien in the USA you don't need one. Well, maybe it will be o.k. The Customs and Border people should know. Have a great cruise!

It's blurry now and I don't recall at what point we went through security but I do remember having to go up an escalator to dock level with a herd of other people from both ships and having to walk down the dock back towards the hotel then in a door and down an escalator back to the floor we had just been on to land in a giant waiting room with all the other non-U.S passport holders. Rows of occupied seats. I asked the lady what this room was for and she said for people going through passport control. What if we have Global Entry asked Carol? Oh in that case you can go on through. I said Hooray! and started to follow her. Do you have your Green Card she asked me? I don't have the card as it was stolen in an armed robbery but I have a Customs and Border Patrol extension stamped in my passport. No- they need the card.

We sat back down and waited with people joining the HAL ship.

While we are waiting why don't you take a look at the 5 Sails Menu for your next visit to Vancouver?

29808564926_e1e2e714f3_b.jpg

29761355741_636ac5b0a7_b.jpg

Soon row by row those hundreds in the room were called to proceed. 3 rows went before us as did my hopes of getting on board in time for a delicious MDR lunch (12 noon to 1.30 pm)

We snaked in a line past a staffer who asked us to get our passports out again and proceeded over hill and dale, through some bushes, waded through a shallow swamp where I swear I saw an alligator, over a turnstile and into a smaller room where there was a line of Customs booths and a long line of Indians, Brits, Germans, Japanese and Chinese people.

Eventually we were called to a booth where my Passport was scrutinized and I had to give my fingerprints (which are on file many times over through Immigration and Naturalization and Global Entry). Come with me please he said and led us back though the hordes who had to make way for us.

We were led into a tiny room with two benches outside an office. Both of the benches had round steel rings attached so that handcuffs could be secured. Yikes. We waited maybe 10 minutes and then the Officer came out of the office -"follow me" and led us back across the crowded room and pointed to a sign saying "to ship"...have a great cruise!

Worst case scenarios had been running through my head and the worst was "I'm afraid I can't let you join your ship" (but he wouldn't have been as afraid as I was.) I need a drink!!

Off we went, free at last to join the ship. Photographer,backdrop,smile,gangway, security photo after scanning my card....

29217065294_89cf0013ee_b.jpg

We are on the ship and NOTHING (except Misty Fjords, Sled Dogs and White Pass railcars) was going to get us off!

WE HAVE COME HOME

Two long hours had passed....

See you onboard !!

Two weeks prior to the cruise we got an upsell offer to a suite from Princess (as we book direct with them). It wasn't an aft suite so it wasn't compelling to pay an extra $600 each just to enjoy the Sabatini's breakfast-the only perk we were missing. The MDR breakfasts we have always enjoyed even though the atmosphere can't compare to Sabatini's. We stuck with D733 and now we were on Dolphin deck taking that long walk back from the Piazza.

Key in the door and we are in.

29531223950_461a1fe128_b.jpg

View from the balcony door

29531224890_ee1d9d44e9_b.jpg

It was built as an Accessible cabin many years ago but apparently not certified as such by the ADA. The bathroom photos I took much later in the cruise so won't post them now . Suffice to say it had no step up, a wide door and a roll-in shower with grab bars and a fold-down plastic seat. The shower head was a hand-held. No bathtub obviously and the water drained through grids in the floor. The shower curtain was on a two sided rail. It was spacious. There was no vanity under the sink to store stuff in.

The beds were separated to allow easy access to the balcony which was extended and very spacious. It was my idea to have an Ultimate Balcony Dinner out there on our first sea day but I didn't want to reserve it until I saw what the weather held in store.

We dropped our carry-ons and I picked up my camera bag as our routine is to first of all have Carol wipe down all surfaces( with Clorox wipes) that may have been touched by the departed prior occupants.

Before I leave the cabin and go book some Sanctuary time and a dinner at Sabatini's and have some lunch at the Trident Grill I'll show you the cameras in situ.

29731037042_f62ea40fcf_b.jpg

Left to right

Canon camera bag with a Sony portable tripod attached to the bottom

Gorilla flexible tripod (red feet) to attach the Go Pro to the balcony railing

Sony HD camcorder

Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L lens with image stabilization. L (identifiable by the red ring running around the barrel) is Canon's Professional Line. It is fitted with a lens hood which is easily removable. It's made of magnesium and has glass elements inside so it's heavy-3 lbs. It's for photographing the glaciers where there's a limit to how close you can get. Also used in Misty Fjords. I carried it in a separate padded case. Lens was used for the Star appearing from behind Stanley Park.

Canon Eos Rebel T3i camera. The lens attached is the one I use most for room shots, landscapes, ship shots and food shots. The aerial Vancouver shots you've just seen were from this lens. It's a Canon EFS 10-22 mm, ultra wide angle.

Next to it is a Canon EFS 18 to 55mm zoom lens which is used when the other two are too extreme for the situation, such as close-ups.

Nearest the camera (my iPhone) is the Go-Pro Hero 3 for action shots. You'll see it during the sail away as I attach it to the balcony railing and let it run. Ditto the glaciers. I operate it using the GoPro app on my phone. Also used on a wrist attachment during the sled dog run in Juneau.

Way at the back on a shelf near the bed is a roll-up GoPro accessory bag which holds batteries, waterproof covers and attachments (chest harness, clamps etc)

This is one thing I don't carry around as all GoPro use is planned in advance.

Right- it's a nice Vancouver day up on deck and I'll pop up there for my first celebratory beer and make my appointments. Carol is going to sit on the balcony and go through the first Princess Patter to see what's going on around the ship on Embarkation Day.

Hi Norris

It's time for me to come out of the cyber shadows and thank you for your great reviews.

Your 2015 Rome to Barcelona review has been useful with planning for our Western Med on Celebrity Silly in a few weeks as well as a great read.

This review is also going to be compulsive reading and probably push me into booking a contemplated trip to Alaska for next year.

Your reviews are so enjoyable, I will also be following this one every day. Thank you.

Sandra (also from Norn Iron a long time ago!)

Two weeks prior to the cruise we got an upsell offer to a suite from Princess (as we book direct with them). It wasn't an aft suite so it wasn't compelling to pay an extra $600 each just to enjoy the Sabatini's breakfast-the only perk we were missing. We stuck with D733 and now we were on Dolphin deck taking that long walk back from the Piazza.

Norris, on one of our first cruises, we booked a mini guarantee and were assigned this cabin!! It's our favorite cabin.

Once we were assigned, I did lots of research to see what/where about the cabin. NO bathtub!! I wanted a tub!! Until I saw that shower. :D

Twin beds only!! No way!! DH wanted to cancel. I persisted, we went on the cruise. Met our steward and asked for queen bed. She said, "I'll try" and did it. The walk through to the sitting area was tight, but it is possible. Loved the cabin, loved the steward, loved Hawaii.;)

BTW: did you have the where's the door moment?

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Hi Norris

It's time for me to come out of the cyber shadows and thank you for your great reviews.

Your 2015 Rome to Barcelona review has been useful with planning for our Western Med on Celebrity Silly in a few weeks as well as a great read.

This review is also going to be compulsive reading and probably push me into booking a contemplated trip to Alaska for next year.

Your reviews are so enjoyable, I will also be following this one every day. Thank you.

Sandra (also from Norn Iron a long time ago!)

Hi and thanks for coming out of the shadows!

The Rome to Barcelona trip was a special one -for the ports, not the ship per se.

Glad you enjoyed it! I am guessing you read my Silhouette review too?

I'll be happy if you follow along and pop back in again!

All the best,

Norris

Norris, on one of our first cruises, we booked a mini guarantee and were assigned this cabin!! It's our favorite cabin.

Once we were assigned, I did lots of research to see what/where about the cabin. NO bathtub!! I wanted a tub!! Until I saw that shower. :D

Twin beds only!! No way!! DH wanted to cancel. I persisted, we went on the cruise. Met our steward and asked for queen bed. She said, "I'll try" and did it. The walk through to the sitting area was tight, but it is possible. Loved the cabin, loved the steward, loved Hawaii.;)

BTW: did you have the where's the door moment?

JF- we considered asking for the beds to be moved together but liked the easy balcony access the way it stood. Re the entry door-yes usually it is directly ahead if looked at from the balcony but here it is on the left side and one could walk into the bathroom by instinct if both doors were closed.

The shower was huge.

Norris

Re the entry door-yes usually it is directly ahead if looked at from the balcony but here it is on the left side and one could walk into the bathroom by instinct if both doors were closed.

I have to laugh remembering that door...every time a room service steward came to our cabin, when s/he tried to leave they went into the bathroom. :D

I booked the Sanctuary just for the sea days Sunday and Friday (College Fjord) and for Glacier Bay (Thursday) which was $60 a head vs the usual $40.

Then I went down to Sabatini's for an 8 pm booking but had to take 7.45 (they are really going to be that busy??)

Now I could finally go home-to Tradewinds Bar where they have a smoking section Port side. It's deck 15 above Lido, the pool deck. Usually there is no MUTS movie screen here but because of the indoor pool below the funnel MUTS faces Tradewinds. Nature scenes and scenes from great ports were playing silently (nice)

It's on this first day that I usually select my go-to deck server. I wait to be served at my table. I look happy, expectant and approachable. Waiters and waitresses in their green jackets come and go. Finally after 15 minutes of drought I go up to a waitress at the serving area and ask her if she'd come see me after she delivers her tray of drinks.

She does and I order the champagne of beers-Guinness, to celebrate. She's not bubbly or perky enough to get my instant nomination but I do have a nice cold drink. I didn't have to sign for it so I didn't know how much I was just charged ($6.95 incl mandatory tip) The Immigration debacle immediately melts away.

29531226380_230fb890e4_b.jpg

29531227310_7c02597e3a_b.jpg

The Patter Reader texted me that there was no MDR lunch listed today so I didn't miss anything and this knackwurst, sauerkraut and crispy fries from the Trident Grill was really hitting the spot. Another Guinness was the perfect pairing. Meantime Carol was in the International Cafe enjoying curried chicken salad, a shrimp salad and pistachio pudding for dessert. She was listening to a singer/guitarist perform. She bought the Ultimate Kids Package of soft drinks and smoothies/milk shakes. It's a sticker on her cruise card.

All Aboard was 3.30 pm with Muster Drill at 4.

I went down to our room to unpack and set up the GoPro on the balcony railing.

Muster was in the Vista Lounge on the stern, deck 7, Promenade deck. Carol got there before me so we sat separately. Usual drill. Hosted by upbeat witty cruise staff member. Afterwards we had to take the stairs as the elevators were mobbed and I had no time to lose. The cameras called...

I booked the Sanctuary just for the sea days Sunday and Friday (College Fjord) and for Glacier Bay (Thursday) which was $60 a head vs the usual $40.

Then I went down to Sabatini's for an 8 pm booking but had to take 7.45 (they are really going to be that busy??)

Now I could finally go home-to Tradewinds Bar where they have a smoking section Port side. It's deck 15 above Lido, the pool deck. Usually there is no MUTS movie screen here but because of the indoor pool below the funnel MUTS faces Tradewinds. Nature scenes and scenes from great ports were playing silently (nice)

It's on this first day that I usually select my go-to deck server. I wait to be served at my table. I look happy, expectant and approachable. Waiters and waitresses in their green jackets come and go. Finally after 15 minutes of drought I go up to a waitress at the serving area and ask her if she'd come see me after she delivers her tray of drinks.

She does and I order the champagne of beers-Guinness, to celebrate. She's not bubbly or perky enough to get my instant nomination but I do have a nice cold drink. I didn't have to sign for it so I didn't know how much I was just charged ($6.95 incl mandatory tip) The Immigration debacle immediately melts away.

29531226380_230fb890e4_b.jpg

29531227310_7c02597e3a_b.jpg

The Patter Reader texted me that there was no MDR lunch listed today so I didn't miss anything and this knackwurst, sauerkraut and crispy fries from the Trident Grill was really hitting the spot. Another Guinness was the perfect pairing. Meantime Carol was in the International Cafe enjoying curried chicken salad, a shrimp salad and pistachio pudding for dessert. She was listening to a singer/guitarist perform. She bought the Ultimate Kids Package of soft drinks and smoothies/milk shakes. It's a sticker on her cruise card.

All Aboard was 3.30 pm with Muster Drill at 4.

I went down to our room to unpack and set up the GoPro on the balcony railing.

Muster was in the Vista Lounge on the stern, deck 7, Promenade deck. Carol got there before me so we sat separately. Usual drill. Hosted by upbeat witty cruise staff member. Afterwards we had to take the stairs as the elevators were mobbed and I had no time to lose. The cameras called...

Thought the "Champagne of Beers" was Miller! LOL:D Enjoying every minute of this as usual. Sorry about your bad customs experience.

Keep on keepin' on,

Trip

Edited by MisterMet

Norris, we boarded the Star Princess in April for a cruise to Hawaii from Canada Place in Vancouver. Thanks to your previous reviews, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to get up before dawn and walk from our hotel to Canada Place to see the ship come in. I am so glad that I did. There was something very special about being there to get some photos of the arrival and docking at first light. I don't recall any other ports of departure that offered such a great vantage point.

John

• Like 1

Thought the "Champagne of Beers" was Miller! LOL:D Enjoying every minute of this as usual. Sorry about your bad customs experience.

Keep on keepin' on,

Trip

Trip, thanks for being here again and I'm always happy to see that people are getting something out of it-if it's just a chuckle a day or seeing some pics that strike a chord and make you say "honey we gotta take another cruise!"I take photos that interest me but I know some folks aren't interested in cargo ships, clouds, mist, food plating as much as I am and some are surely not interested in the Star Princess or Alaska for that matter. I do however take a lot of pics on ships just for informational purposes for other people- pics of the Officers, elevator lobby signs, kiddie pools, the buffet-things that don't interest me particularly. Explorers Lounge I have photographed so many times but it always looks the same from ship to ship.

To be honest and factual I took way fewer pics of the ship (still a few hundred) that I did on the Silhouette in January as that was such a stunning exercise in ship and interior design that my head was on a swivel.

The Princess Grand class design is a stunner( from 1998) but once you've been on several ships from the same mould the excitement dims and I am sure I'd say the same if I sailed on all 5 S Class ships. I said we were coming HOME when we stepped onto the Star as it is so familiar. I have a sweater that is 30 years old and I can't throw it away as it is so comfy, holes and all but when I put it on I don't stand in front of the mirror and admire it. It's getting that way with the Grand class.

But it's what's under the skin that matters-the service, the good food, the relaxed vibe and the lack of forced jollity and participation.No one's ever tried to get me up to join a conga line and hallelujah for that. I can just sit with a drink and do nothing which is how I sail. When we get to port I am all action and up for anything. The Princess ship gets me there in style and comfort and I can't ask for much more.

I'm glad you are following along.

Norris

Norris, we boarded the Star Princess in April for a cruise to Hawaii from Canada Place in Vancouver. Thanks to your previous reviews, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to get up before dawn and walk from our hotel to Canada Place to see the ship come in. I am so glad that I did. There was something very special about being there to get some photos of the arrival and docking at first light. I don't recall any other ports of departure that offered such a great vantage point.

John

John I am glad you did the early morning Canada Place thing. Sleep is great but sometimes it pays to be up early and your ship poking it's bow out from the trees in Stanley Park is a magic moment. Even without a huge white ship gliding slowly across that magnificent harbor with it's lights on the harbor setting is a stunner. I wouldn't miss it ever.

I'm glad I helped in getting you to see it for yourself.

Thanks for joining us!

Norris

There is nothing more exciting to me than that moment when all the mooring lines have been dropped in the water and winched on board and the thrusters push the ship away from the pier and you are moving. Your cruise has really begun. For me it's never a time for a meet-up at the Outrigger bar or such as this voyage's roll call was doing if all went according to plan. I can't be distracted by chat, as pleasant as that might be.

We are on our balcony. Our room steward Decilone has brought us the two little bottles of Korbel and once the flutes are clinked in a salute to our good fortune I get busy with the cameras.

29531228080_199e64e592_b.jpg

29531228920_4c9548191b_b.jpg

People have gathered to watch us leave

29531230490_af50f689b4_b.jpg

We reverse from the pier and will spin around 90 degrees once clear to point the bow towards the Lion's Gate Bridge.

29197685423_0f0b590223_b.jpg

Nieuw Amsterdam will follow suit.

29197686803_b340300c6a_b.jpg

29197688103_3d04eeca07_b.jpg

I hope you like ships-not just cruise ships but cargo ships from all corners of the world that move commerce between countries far and wide. They're carrying the necessities and luxuries of life be it minerals, cars or containers full of goods for our stores.

My father was the Captain of a cargo ship so I have been interested in them for as long as I can remember. So when I see one up close I have to photograph it.

Vancouver harbor is host to dozens of ships on any given day and today was no exception.

The ferry over to North Vancouver is scurrying ahead

29741136271_ef86b96869_b.jpg

You can see the hull below the waterline on the freighter Manuela is in poor shape paint-wise. The Star needs a coat of paint too. Time for a dry dock?

The freighter is at anchor and sitting high in the water so is likely here to load up some Canadian exports (Molson Beer, ice skates,hockey sticks maybe)

Westwood Columbia is a container ship

29741137771_6bf99b03bc_b.jpg

Federal Spruce another bulk carrier/container ship with a fuel barge in attendance

29741138661_2b250bd290_b.jpg

Ocean Minerva a 700 ft bulk carrier

29741139671_a4bdf70305_b.jpg

MV Sophiana

29741140681_c8034675ef_b.jpg

Sea Angel loading up from this yellow pile that is always here each time I visit. Today she is off the west coast of India according to Marine Traffic.com...13 days later.

29741141821_8d06289582_b.jpg

29788411556_a826d91d13_b.jpg

Green Phoenix almost fully loaded

29788413936_a8029f3363_b.jpg

We are scanning the beaches on the North Shore as Terry said he'd be here with his golden labrador

29788415146_f615c6ecec_b.jpg

We've just passed under the Lion's gate Bridge

29788416316_c055790090_b.jpg

Another Vancouver beach

29788417756_a9b1fd16dd_b.jpg

29788419366_0b90234819_b.jpg

Two weeks prior to the cruise we got an upsell offer to a suite from Princess (as we book direct with them). It wasn't an aft suite so it wasn't compelling to pay an extra $600 each just to enjoy the Sabatini's breakfast-the only perk we were missing. The MDR breakfasts we have always enjoyed even though the atmosphere can't compare to Sabatini's. We stuck with D733 and now we were on Dolphin deck taking that long walk back from the Piazza.

29531223950_461a1fe128_b.jpg

View from the balcony door

29531224890_ee1d9d44e9_b.jpg

It was built as an Accessible cabin many years ago but apparently not certified as such by the ADA. The bathroom photos I took much later in the cruise so won't post them now . Suffice to say it had no step up, a wide door and a roll-in shower with grab bars and a fold-down plastic seat. The shower head was a hand-held. No bathtub obviously and the water drained through grids in the floor. The shower curtain was on a two sided rail. It was spacious. There was no vanity under the sink to store stuff in.

The beds were separated to allow easy access to the balcony which was extended and very spacious. It was my idea to have an Ultimate Balcony Dinner out there on our first sea day but I didn't want to reserve it until I saw what the weather held in store.

We dropped our carry-ons and I picked up my camera bag as our routine is to first of all have Carol wipe down all surfaces( with Clorox wipes) that may have been touched by the departed prior occupants.

Before I leave the cabin and go book some Sanctuary time and a dinner at Sabatini's and have some lunch at the Trident Grill I'll show you the cameras in situ.

29731037042_f62ea40fcf_b.jpg

Left to right

Canon camera bag with a Sony portable tripod attached to the bottom

Gorilla flexible tripod (red feet) to attach the Go Pro to the balcony railing

Sony HD camcorder

Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L lens with image stabilization. L (identifiable by the red ring running around the barrel) is Canon's Professional Line. It is fitted with a lens hood which is easily removable. It's made of magnesium and has glass elements inside so it's heavy-3 lbs. It's for photographing the glaciers where there's a limit to how close you can get. Also used in Misty Fjords. I carried it in a separate padded case. Lens was used for the Star appearing from behind Stanley Park.

Canon Eos Rebel T3i camera. The lens attached is the one I use most for room shots, landscapes, ship shots and food shots. The aerial Vancouver shots you've just seen were from this lens. It's a Canon EFS 10-22 mm, ultra wide angle.

Next to it is a Canon EFS 18 to 55mm zoom lens which is used when the other two are too extreme for the situation, such as close-ups.

Nearest the camera (my iPhone) is the Go-Pro Hero 3 for action shots. You'll see it during the sail away as I attach it to the balcony railing and let it run. Ditto the glaciers. I operate it using the GoPro app on my phone. Also used on a wrist attachment during the sled dog run in Juneau.

Way at the back on a shelf near the bed is a roll-up GoPro accessory bag which holds batteries, waterproof covers and attachments (chest harness, clamps etc)

This is one thing I don't carry around as all GoPro use is planned in advance.

Right- it's a nice Vancouver day up on deck and I'll pop up there for my first celebratory beer and make my appointments. Carol is going to sit on the balcony and go through the first Princess Patter to see what's going on around the ship on Embarkation Day.

Now I can understand why you get such great pictures. I am looking forward to more outstanding photos. Thanks.

We speed up and so does the wind. The Captain has obviously heard there is some good salmon to be had in Ketchikan.

29196402984_ddbfe7544c_b.jpg

The wind may have driven people in off their balconies above us. Slow down Captain you're messing up my hair!

29196404784_c5cf7f2591_b.jpg

Seeking another perspective and more shelter from the wind I head up to one of my favorite places on a Grand Class-the aft pool area outside Horizon Court buffet on deck 14, Lido deck.

29196406784_62b3b05e53_b.jpg

There is shelter here and it's a good place to bring your buffet breakfast to when the weather is decent. The Outrigger bar is here. Be aware that the port side has smoking tables.

The white distant blob is the Nieuw Amsterdam

29531271850_363c3fc48e_b.jpg

In the shadow of the mighty Skywalker's above

29531272560_55e3678747_b.jpg