Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Long time reader, first time poster on a Bimmer09 thread as I've never managed to catch one 'live' before. It's promising to be another epic and I'm settling in for the long haul as it's all research for our Alaskan cruise in July 2017.

TreacleScone (aka Julie, niece of Norris).

I was so excited to see the start of another wonderful review. I must admit to stalking your "recent posts" a few days ago, as I remembered you were cruising soon.

I had been disappointed to not find a review starting, and then to my great joy I saw your announcement off the Silhouette thread!

Thank you so much for keeping so many of us entertained!

Long time reader, first time poster on a Bimmer09 thread as I've never managed to catch one 'live' before. It's promising to be another epic and I'm settling in for the long haul as it's all research for our Alaskan cruise in July 2017.

TreacleScone (aka Julie, niece of Norris).

Shiver me timbers!! Folks this is indeed my niece Julie who is (a) an avid cruiser (b) absolutely bonkers and has a sense of humor in which I see a lot of myself as we have shared in the same gene pool. I haven't seen her in 13 years.

Anyway, Julie,set yer mainsail for a voyage o' delights! There has to be a good reason why Carol and I have sailed to Alaska 3 times out of 10 cruises...30%!

I have about 1400 of them in my camera to share.

Now I have to know- which ship will you sail on?

Norris

Josumello I too am along for another Norris review. You write with such enthusiasm and a nice sense of humor. Also love your positive energy, your no negativity, and of course your great photos. Thanks!!

Thanks indeed for the kind things you say! Enthusiasm is good as is sense of humor- I am just so fortunate to have many reasons to smile and few things to complain about...all first world problems really. I take no nonsense nor prisoners when there is a need to complain but in this you won't see that side of me until way near the end. I roll with the punches typically.

Glad you like the photos! I enjoy taking them and have been taking steps to learn more about photography with becoming a geek.

Boats07 Have enjoyed read your review and pictures so far. Looking forward to more. We will be on the Star next August for a land/sea cruise. We have sailed to Alaska twice but this will be our first Land/Cruise.

Thanks for joining us-if you have enjoyed the pics so far then I think you will continue to as the best is yet to come-the cruise! I envy you your cruise tour booking on the Star. Someday...

Lin336 Another Norris review! We very much enjoy following along.

Linda & Mike

Welcome guys and nice to see you again. Cyber bar is open! I have a new "mixologist" who shakes a mean Guinness.

Shimsdan Me, too! I love your reviews Norris. In fact, I'm reading your review, instead of my own roll call for my Celebrity cruise next year! Please don't tell anyone!!!

Thank you! So glad you enjoy my stuff. Lots more to come!

G &GcruisersHamlet! Post #67

I've heard that boarding in Vancouver can be intimidating. Anxious to hear your experience there.

Margie

Margie, hi again, yes I am quoting Shakespeare but it could just as easily be Bob Dylan or Larry David. I'm sure I'll get to them both at some point.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol will be featured soon when we try to board the ship.

Norris

Gabrielle R I've been scanning the boards looking for your signature. So happy that you posted on the Celebrity board and that popped up in my email. Ready to settle in and read! SO ENJOYED the first day.

Gabrielle

Thanks Gabrielle- i really enjoy posting on the X board and I'm glad you are tuned in. A long read is in store...

Thanks for the comments everyone- I'll answer some more Tuesday.

Norris

Shiver me timbers!! Folks this is indeed my niece Julie who is (a) an avid cruiser (b) absolutely bonkers and has a sense of humor in which I see a lot of myself as we have shared in the same gene pool. I haven't seen her in 13 years.

Anyway, Julie,set yer mainsail for a voyage o' delights! There has to be a good reason why Carol and I have sailed to Alaska 3 times out of 10 cruises...30%!

I have about 1400 of them in my camera to share.

Now I have to know- which ship will you sail on?

Norris

I'm choosing to take 'absolutely bonkers' as a compliment in this instance. I've definitely been called worse ;) Cruising is definitely in the blood - Mum and Dad are off transatlantic again next month aboard the P&O Britannia.

We will be sailing on the good ship Disney Wonder - let's just say someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse and if you're going to sail Disney, best to do it a) on one of their most beautiful ships (I hope it's still as beautiful when it comes out of dry dock in November), b) with a 5 year old who still believes in the magic, and c) for free :)

Sailing on the Harmony. Unlike you, I love the big ships. A year ago did Regal on a first solo cruise. Really enjoyed the ship, made many new friends. Not sure the solo is for me. This cruise my son is going with. A new and different life for me now. Have moved to Baltimore from Michigan.

Mainly Rome in Limo for 8 with guide for Vatican. Can hardly wait. Also , I want to see some of the side streets.

Thanks for the response Pam.

If you are super lucky (or ask Jany for him) and have Franco as your driver then you are in for a treat as his English and humor is good. If Massimo shows up at the Vatican to guide you then that's the Double Whammy!

The Silhouette at 122,000 gross tons and only 2900 pax is the biggest ship I have sailed on. Also the most beautiful.

Enjoy the Harmony! And Baltimore!

Norris

For those who are new to my "reviews"- I call them A Gentleman's Seafaring Journals as they are my cruise experiences day by day in Chronological order. I highlight that word as in my Diamond Princess review a poster was bouncing up and down in his playpen complaining "where is Alaska in this review?" while the narrative had us in British Columbian waters. "Where's the Star Princess? The Glaciers? The sled dogs?...they are coming in the order they happened.

I don't divide the "review" into sections-Food, Entertainment, Service etc unless I am writing a Comparison Review (see the Princess vs Celebrity Comparison for an example)

I don't start the journal without the intention of writing every day until it's done.

No breaks. No forgetting to finish it. When I am not working(like Sunday and today) and out of the house for 11 hours it's my focus.

I respond to everyone who comments-positively or otherwise.

I am currently uploading video to iMovie and thence to Youtube where my videos are found on the Norris Adair channel. I use 2 video cameras-one handheld and the other a Go Pro which I attach to something and let run. I carry 2 cameras and 2 video cams around. The Go Pro I can operate via wi-fi with my iPhone and the GoPro app.

I usually forget to photograph the many great people I talk to on the ships, such as Kevin whom I met on this Star cruise. I kick myself later.

I welcome any questions but try to answer them in the narrative before they are asked.

I write these long things for the following reasons;

As a way for me and Carol to remember our vacations so they don't blur together

For people who in this case have never sailed the Star/Princess Cruises or been to Alaska

For people who haven't cruised yet and wonder what it's like

For people who have sailed the Star and been to Alaska and don't mind going back while sitting in an armchair eating bonbons.

For people who don't really enjoy Dry Dull Rambles...theshipwasnicemyhusbanddidn'tenjoythefoodthesteakwaslikerubberbutthejugglerwasgood...

For the people who like to read what I write

For myself as I like writing and showing my photos to strangers

So that's it.

Norris

• Like 1

Welcome back...looking forward to the review!

Chris, I had to scroll back a few pages to thank you for joining us again.

The review shall proceed with all due speed which is hopeful thinking as I have just been in iMovie which I haven't used since May and which seems to have a mind of it's own. The first of many movies is in the Youtube oven.

Cheers!

Norris

hooray! something to read just in time for me to take my own adventure in a few days! thanks Norris!

Sweet! Crown Princess to Mexico and before we build the border wall-good timing!

Nice to see you here! Always welcome.

Norris

5.10 a.m found me in the Plaza outside the hotel waiting for my ship to come in.

5.30 a.m found me holding a cup o' Joe from Starbucks which had just opened and I expected the ship to poke it's nose (bow) from behind Stanley Park around 6. So I wasn't going anywhere. I fitted the zoom lens and waited on a bench, eyes glued to the sea.

My only distraction was a beggar lady who was painfully thin and haggard and wore a nice pair of sneakers. She was working the Plaza with her hand out for a coin. Usually I am a magnet for down-on-their-luck people who need cash for the latest sneaker designs or need a cigarette but today she passed me by.

Am I losing my magnetism?

As I sat in the benign weather of a perfect sail away day I thought back over the 13 hours we had now been in Vancouver and my mind (such as it is after surviving the 1960s) replayed the events of the day before....

[YOUTUBE]91Ycttm_jl8[/YOUTUBE]

It all came back to me vividly.

My stomach now asked me why I didn't get a muffin or such while I was in Starbucks...my mind drifted back to that memorable dinner...

[YOUTUBE]BhWW5SwQuy8[/YOUTUBE]

* This is just 3 friends having dinner with a nice view and maybe not riveting viewing. That will come later. It's here just to aid the narrative.

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to present the

STAR PRINCESS

29701300652_6585fecfb1_b.jpg

29731587791_c70af6f961_b.jpg

29731592031_f9763e3af8_b.jpg

29814318785_90b3fd0119_b.jpg

29814323505_3de8032161_b.jpg

29814327455_38d7cdb6f3_b.jpg

Between photos (and shooting video) I was walking down the long pier where I would have to cross over to the other dockside to watch her dock- will I see you over there? Let's go!

For those who are new to my "reviews"- I call them A Gentleman's Seafaring Journals as they are my cruise experiences day by day in Chronological order. I highlight that word as in my Diamond Princess review a poster was bouncing up and down in his playpen complaining "where is Alaska in this review?" while the narrative had us in British Columbian waters. "Where's the Star Princess? The Glaciers? The sled dogs?...they are coming in the order they happened.

I don't divide the "review" into sections-Food, Entertainment, Service etc unless I am writing a Comparison Review (see the Princess vs Celebrity Comparison for an example)

I don't start the journal without the intention of writing every day until it's done.

No breaks. No forgetting to finish it. When I am not working(like Sunday and today) and out of the house for 11 hours it's my focus.

I respond to everyone who comments-positively or otherwise.

I am currently uploading video to iMovie and thence to Youtube where my videos are found on the Norris Adair channel. I use 2 video cameras-one handheld and the other a Go Pro which I attach to something and let run. I carry 2 cameras and 2 video cams around. The Go Pro I can operate via wi-fi with my iPhone and the GoPro app.

I usually forget to photograph the many great people I talk to on the ships, such as Kevin whom I met on this Star cruise. I kick myself later.

I welcome any questions but try to answer them in the narrative before they are asked.

I write these long things for the following reasons;

As a way for me and Carol to remember our vacations so they don't blur together

For people who in this case have never sailed the Star/Princess Cruises or been to Alaska

For people who haven't cruised yet and wonder what it's like

For people who have sailed the Star and been to Alaska and don't mind going back while sitting in an armchair eating bonbons.

For people who don't really enjoy Dry Dull Rambles...theshipwasnicemyhusbanddidn'tenjoythefoodthesteakwaslikerubberbutthejugglerwasgood...

For the people who like to read what I write

For myself as I like writing and showing my photos to strangers

So that's it.

Norris

Don't change a thing about your writing style! It's the reason that so many follow your reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

29731626721_d4f1c86741_b.jpg

29731633841_bf4f53f5d8_b.jpg

I temporarily stop waving the Captain to come forward and look behind me to make sure he has enough room to park.

29731637721_756cc42ce2_b.jpg

The Captain is waving his arms wildly. He's either got a mosquito flying around his head or is waving me off the dock.

29731641781_c0342de611_b.jpg

Inching forward

29731649691_61659da9a3_b.jpg

29188225273_9eb35fcdee_b.jpg

There are 5 balcony cabins you can see on deck 8 (Emerald) which I haven't seen on a Princess Grand Class before. The path to the bow goes right by them.

29188231233_0fd3c57dca_b.jpg

29188235953_2d7cf48905_b.jpg

29188247433_a2f86d8637_b.jpg

29188251863_4d6744ccdb_b.jpg

Getting really close now. I motioned to the mooring team to throw me a line but they made a gesture that I can't repeat here.

29521616850_8aa239172a_b.jpg

About this time my senses told me that I must relocate as I could feel a ship coming in. So I took a last couple of pics of the Star. I'm not going to show the Bridge close-up where the Captain was bent over with his trousers down, mooning me. That's just unprofessional in my opinion.

29521620720_7253d263fc_b.jpg

29521624060_43559c59fa_b.jpg

I packed up my gear and went back to the other side of the pier.

29521634900_0563e26b39_b.jpg

29186763874_775c55f1f9_b.jpg

While waiting for her to get closer I took a look around

29731707131_5ca696f437_b.jpg

The Star is now docked

29731711991_f9f2e6ec52_b.jpg

I've spent a good bit of the summer reading reviews and I must say yours are the best. Thank you for all your efforts to provide an interesting read. Well done!

Thanks so much-that's very high praise indeed. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Norris

The light is getting better now...

29701408052_b008eb03cb_b.jpg

29778673746_4bbd214cf0_b.jpg

29188327193_0023b78ec0_b.jpg

Handsome! I get my iPhone set to flashlight app and using my hand as a shutter, signal the bridge- "Captain, please keep your trousers on". They hoist a new ensign to join the other flags fluttering. It's the "Captain fully clothed" flag.

29778685606_a8becc4d56_b.jpg

With a screech of brakes and the smell of burning rubber she approaches the dock.

29778689246_3d74ae50ac_b.jpg

I head back over to the Plaza and thence to the Star side of the dock again...

There are 5 balcony cabins you can see on deck 8 (Emerald) which I haven't seen on a Princess Grand Class before. The path to the bow goes right by them.

29188231233_0fd3c57dca_b.jpg

Those cabins are only on the first three Grand class ships, the Grand, Golden and Star. They are ocean view cabins on the other six Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser