Point and shoot with viewfinder?

Alaskanb

Hello: Any recommendations for a point and shoot with a viewfinder? Thanks

You may want to look at the thread for the Panasonic FZ200 - I have the much older FZ50 model and I've been quite happy with it.

These days P&S or 'fixed lens' cameras are mostly

• Long zoom range 'bridge' cameras similar to to the FZ200 [or other models by Canon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji....]
  • Enthusiast large sensor cameras like Fuji X100 and X30 series, Panasonic LX100

I am not familiar with a point & shoot that has a viewfinder. I have a Nikon P7800 which is a a little larger than the typical P&S. It has both an electronic viewfinder and live view (switch between both). It also has auto mode, the priority modes and manual mode as well as video.

You may want to look at the thread for the Panasonic FZ200 - I have the much older FZ50 model and I've been quite happy with it.

These days P&S or 'fixed lens' cameras are mostly

• Long zoom range 'bridge' cameras similar to to the FZ200 [or other models by Canon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji....]
  • Enthusiast large sensor cameras like Fuji X100 and X30 series, Panasonic LX100

Oops - too late to edit - I meant to say cameras with viewfinders. Most are electronic, some interesting versions [the Fuji] have hybrid optical / electronic viewfinders.

Don

Thanks for this GREAT site for needed camera info. Those looking for a camera and not sure what type, features or brand this is the site. Gives all the info you will need to help decided what camera is available for your needs. Also i like that they list their review rating. The link to preview.com is one of the best photography site for users to gather info and share.

Have this location bookmarked for sure.

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

If you don't want to invest in a new camera, I found a handy device to help block out sunlight when looking at the back screen. It's called a hooded loupe. It's like a jeweler's loupe with a rectangular rubber cup that sets over the screen blocking out the sunlight. I find it very helpful when shooting in bright sunlight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Panasonic ZS50 or ZS60 or ZS100 are point and shoot with viewfinders though they are quite small (the viewfinder that is). Check one out before buying. Fuji X30 would be the only point and shoot with an excellent hybrid viewfinder, but it was discontinued though you may still pick up a new one online. It is bulky compared to the Panasonic models, but fun to use. The Sony RX100 series has an attachable viewfinder but the camera and viewfinder are very expensive. The most affordable one will be the Panasonic ZS50.

Panasonic ZS50 or ZS60 or ZS100 are point and shoot with viewfinders though they are quite small (the viewfinder that is). Check one out before buying. Fuji X30 would be the only point and shoot with an excellent hybrid viewfinder, but it was discontinued though you may still pick up a new one online. It is bulky compared to the Panasonic models, but fun to use. The Sony RX100 series has an attachable viewfinder but the camera and viewfinder are very expensive. The most affordable one will be the Panasonic ZS50.

Thanks so much -- I have been looking at the ZS50 but now have the challenge of finding one locally to check out.

If you don't want to invest in a new camera, I found a handy device to help block out sunlight when looking at the back screen. It's called a hooded loupe. It's like a jeweler's loupe with a rectangular rubber cup that sets over the screen blocking out the sunlight. I find it very helpful when shooting in bright sunlight.

Do you have a link to one? I enjoy my camera as it has a great wide angle lens for a small camera.

Try Costco.com. But the viewfinder is tiny and the only time that I use it is when I can't use the LCD, but I wear glasses. Basically, it is useable for framing but not to check if frame is properly focused. ZS50 may be officially discontinued as it was replaced by the ZS60, but it is still available as they are running down the remaining stock. Unless you want 4k video or a touchscreen, get the ZS50.

Do you have a link to one? I enjoy my camera as it has a great wide angle lens for a small camera.

Sure. Here's a link to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-HoodLoupe-Optical-Viewfinder-Displays/dp/B00A0TLDSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474486400&sr=8-1&keywords=hoodman+loupe

• 2 weeks later...

Fujifilm X100S. I have it and love it. There is a newer model X100T. I believe the newer model has faster focusing, wi-fi, and additional manual exposure and aperture controls.

I have a Canon G12, which has a viewfinder that I never use because of it's tiny size. However, it does have an articulated lcd screen, which can be moved to minimize the effects of strong sunlight.

I love the viewfinder on my Canon dslr, but make sure what your getting is going to be usable.