Boarding times by deck number Enchantment 9/26

troykahack

I am not disagreeing with what you have said happened in the past. We have always boarded around the time we arrived. My SO, has cruised a lot more than I have, mostly with Royal. Neither of us have ever received a email from Royal to board by Deck #. We cruised as recently May/June on Mj.

Now, for the first time, we received a email from Royal, that asked (a request) us to board by Deck #. Although we have priority check-in, nowhere could I find any language in writing that said anything about boarding other than the letter we received. It's not clear if check-in is one and the same boarding.

Let's think why Royal would send out these boarding by deck numbers. It has been our experience that early boarding does create issues and the ability of the ships crew to be ready for such a mass of people at the same time. Don't you think embarking would be a much better experience if boarding is orderly and the bars and WJ are not so packed, not to mention that only a few bars are open. It's getting to the point that nearly half the cruisers have some form of status. I think boarding by deck is a great idea. If boarding is such a priority, why not just book a cabin on a higher deck??

You are assuming that 'higher deck' means more expensive and therefore should allow earlier boarding. That is obviously not always the case. The inside cabins on deck 9 cost much less then balconies on lower decks (on ships larger than Enchantment). Why on earth would people want to miss out on three to four hours of their cruise? Pay for a meal on shore whilst others eat on ship? But I know that you are not going to listen to reason on this topic, so enjoy arriving when you have been asked. Just don't expect to jump to the front of the line for boarding just because your cabin is located on a higher deck.

You are assuming that 'higher deck' means more expensive and therefore should allow earlier boarding. That is obviously not always the case. The inside cabins on deck 9 cost much less then balconies on lower decks (on ships larger than Enchantment). Why on earth would people want to miss out on three to four hours of their cruise? Pay for a meal on shore whilst others eat on ship? But I know that you are not going to listen to reason on this topic, so enjoy arriving when you have been asked. Just don't expect to jump to the front of the line for boarding just because your cabin is located on a higher deck.

Look, I never said anything about money, cost, or expense. I would never butt in any line, or take anyone's seat, it's just not the Southern proper Manners my parents taught her boys. Pleas don't read anything into my post that are not there.

Why not board in and orderly fashion? If not by deck, then by something else. Status or whatever.

Why not board in and orderly fashion? If not by deck, then by something else.

Boarding is always in an orderly fashion.

Why not by deck? Because staggering arrival of guests to the terminal (which can't hold all cruisers at once) by deck is logistically impossible by the cruise line.

So therefore when the ship is ready for boarding they have an orderly process to clear the terminal as quick as practical.

One of the great allures of a cruise was the "across the board" luxury of a cruise vacation. Sure an inside room wasn't as nice as a suite, but outside of your actual accommodation everyone was treated similarly. Same food, same entertainment, same services shore side and onboard. Everyone was treated equally well. It was a nice experience.

Yes, just an attempt to avoid congestion at the terminal.

and maybe the WJ and the few select bars that are open at the time of embarkation.... why not have a staggered boarding as it seems Royal would like to go too.....

If not by deck, then how would you do it....

What about Suites and Pinnacle 11-12

D+ 12-1230

D 1230-1

Then by possible deck number ... or it may be cleared out enough by this time... at least this gives Suite Guest and Pinnacles an hour to get settled in and eat and have a drink or two.... at 1, the cabins are generally open.

What about Suites and Pinnacle 11-12

D+ 12-1230

D 1230-1

Then by possible deck number ... or it may be cleared out enough by this time... at least this gives Suite Guest and Pinnacles an hour to get settled in and eat and have a drink or two.... at 1, the cabins are generally open.

I can't think of any reason to hold general boarding until 1PM. They want people onboard spending money, not held up in the terminal for longer than necessary. If onboard congestion is an issue, they should take some tips from other lines playbooks and open more dining venues on boarding day, have a baggage hold in one of the lounges, or sell priority entry to staterooms upon boarding. All these things ease congestion.

Edited by LMaxwell

I can't think of any reason to hold general boarding until 1PM. They want people onboard spending money, not held up in the terminal for longer than necessary. If onboard congestion is an issue, they should take some tips from other lines playbooks and open more dining venues on boarding day, have a baggage hold in one of the lounges, or sell priority entry to staterooms upon boarding. All these things ease congestion.

If this is the case, why are they now sending boarding instructions to cruisers. Maybe it is select ships/ports, don't know. You think Royal just sent the request to show up and board by deck number for no reason? Royal makes the decisions, we don't.

I just can't understand why so many just want to ignore the request to us. I'll board by the time them asked me. Many times we drive to the ports and often are not there until after 1. We boarded MJ at 1130 and the Schooner Bar was packed. It was the only open bar until later.

I believe, this boarding request may only (don't know) apply to the 3 and 4/5 day cruises that draw a lot of locals.

I still think it is a great idea to stagger board. The problem is conviencing the cruisers to abide by the request.

If this is the case, why are they now sending boarding instructions to cruisers.

They have sent boarding instructions for years. This is just a slightly different format.

You think Royal just sent the request to show up and board by deck number for no reason?

No. I gave a reason in an earlier post.

Royal makes the decisions, we don't.

Sure, but I'm not going to lobby for things that take away the value of my vacation. my paycheck doesn't come from Royal, it goes to Royal.

I just can't understand why so many just want to ignore the request to us. I'll board by the time them asked me.

See, that's the problem here. You don't understand. First, these requests have always been proven to be a bunch of unenforced crap, so it's a bit of boy that cried wolf to expect people to suddenly take them seriously.

You'll board early because you have a suite and want to take advantage of all the perks associated, not because you have been requested to be there first. If you were requested to board last you'd blow a connection in here.

We boarded MJ at 1130 and the Schooner Bar was packed. It was the only open bar until later.

Royal needs to open more bars in that case. Give the customer what the customer wants. Hospitality businesses should be customer friendly, not make things difficult. I do find it hard to believe no pool bars or other bars off the atrium were not open at that time. Perhaps you just happened to go to the busiest bar.

I believe, this boarding request may only (don't know) apply to the 3 and 4/5 day cruises that draw a lot of locals.

Don't know either. Don't see how it makes a difference.

I still think it is a great idea to stagger board.

Well, they have always staggered boarding. Again, this isn't new.

The problem is conviencing the cruisers to abide by the request.

Convince me why arbitrarily keeping someone in a terminal until 2:00PM is a good vacation value for them. Royal hasn't offered a compelling reason; so why should anyone be convinced. I can't offer a compelling reason.

Edited by LMaxwell

Personally, I just don't get it.

so many people have the "It's my vacation I can do what I want" mentality.

That's simply not how I was raised. I also don't understand why you would stand in line at 10:30 am (while people are still getting off) in order to sit in a folding chair until you can board.

The bottom line is. You cant teach class, manners or respect.

1. Some people will disregard boarding instructions

2. Some people will wear shorts in the dining room

3. Some people will bring bottled water on board

4. Some people will bring liquor on board.

These posts do nothing to detour them, they are going to do what they want and start these posts, not as a resource to understand but to first complain and then state that they will do whatever they want ..Then there are the ones that encourage bad behavior by saying ( they wont enforce it) ... Not sure how that actually helps anything?

Most important as it relates to this post is the ones that are told not to arrive until 1:30 pm. They show up at 10:30 am. Sit in a chair for an hour, board around noon, Take to the internet to complain about how long the lines at the windjammer are and that their rooms are not ready. ALL THINGS EASILY AVOIDED IF THEY WOULD SIMPLY DO AS THEY ARE TOLD. UGHHHHHHH

Most important as it relates to this post is the ones that are told not to arrive until 1:30 pm. They show up at 10:30 am. Sit in a chair for an hour, board around noon,

So if they get onboard by noon Royal has conditioned them to ignore the notice. Whereas someone that would not question what they are told shows up at 1:30 when they didn't really have to.

Edited by LMaxwell

Personally, I just don't get it.

so many people have the "It's my vacation I can do what I want" mentality.

That's simply not how I was raised. I also don't understand why you would stand in line at 10:30 am (while people are still getting off) in order to sit in a folding chair until you can board.

The bottom line is. You cant teach class, manners or respect.

1. Some people will disregard boarding instructions

2. Some people will wear shorts in the dining room

3. Some people will bring bottled water on board

4. Some people will bring liquor on board.

These posts do nothing to detour them, they are going to do what they want and start these posts, not as a resource to understand but to first complain and then state that they will do whatever they want ..Then there are the ones that encourage bad behavior by saying ( they wont enforce it) ... Not sure how that actually helps anything?

Most important as it relates to this post is the ones that are told not to arrive until 1:30 pm. They show up at 10:30 am. Sit in a chair for an hour, board around noon, Take to the internet to complain about how long the lines at the windjammer are and that their rooms are not ready. ALL THINGS EASILY AVOIDED IF THEY WOULD SIMPLY DO AS THEY ARE TOLD. UGHHHHHHH

Very well stated.....

Very well stated.....

Sounded like a sheep statement to me.

You stated the "problem" (there is no problem by the way) and offered no solution other than to not question anything and just do as you are told.

If you were told that suites boarded last you'd blow a gasket.

Sounded like a sheep statement to me.

You stated the "problem" (there is no problem by the way) and offered no solution other than to not question anything and just do as you are told.

If you were told that suites boarded last you'd blow a gasket.

Look, I only stated we got a letter that asks us to board by deck # with assigned times. By Dictionary, ask is a request. I learn from my service that if anyone ask you to do something, you darn well better do it, and like now.

Personally, we have never boarded early. We generally arrive 1-2. We have always been able to find a drink somewhere.

People have said they have 29 or more cruises and have always boarded when they want. Is it a problem? To me, nothing has happened during boarding that upset me. I wait in line to get a drink like most people do, but there is always a few who find a way around the line. No different than those that run around in the WJ and literally bump people to grab some food many are orderly waiting in a line for.

Why would Royal send out the request to board by deck time? Have they been sending these emails out for 29 years or is this something new. I saw a post earlier about similar emails but everyone just says ignore them. Personally, I am not one to ignore requests just because I want too.

How do we condition people to abide by the request? Not sure that is possible.

If this is the case, why are they now sending boarding instructions to cruisers. Maybe it is select ships/ports, don't know. You think Royal just sent the request to show up and board by deck number for no reason? Royal makes the decisions, we don't.

I just can't understand why so many just want to ignore the request to us. I'll board by the time them asked me. Many times we drive to the ports and often are not there until after 1. We boarded MJ at 1130 and the Schooner Bar was packed. It was the only open bar until later.

I still think it is a great idea to stagger board. The problem is conviencing the cruisers to abide by the request.

Inaccurate. I have yet to board a ship and not find the pool bar(s) open and in full swing with one exception. The Enchantment was going through a USCG inspection and the bars didn't open until 1:00. They couldn't set the bars up until the inspection was complete.

Don't be past your window. You could be denied boarding if they move to the lower decks

That certainly could be a possibility. Miss your boarding time and get push to the end of the boarding. If that was the case, we would follow the rules, or I should say I would. Now, the SO, she if from one of those big cities, where it is all about one, and one only. LOL She is like, eat or be eaten.... but she sometimes listens to me... to have manners, and to follow the requests.

I just posted that we had received an email asking us to board by deck number and assigned times. General consensus seems to ignore the request. But why?

Edited by troykahack

That certainly could be a possibility. Miss your boarding time and get push to the end of the boarding. If that was the case, we would follow the rules, or I should say I would. Now, the SO, she if from one of those big cities, where it is all about one, and one only. LOL She is like, eat or be eaten.... but she sometimes listens to me... to have manners, and to follow the requests.

I just posted that we had received an email asking us to board by deck number and assigned times. General consensus seems to ignore the request. But why?

And we're saying it doesn't work that way.

And we're saying it doesn't work that way.

Well, based on the replies, it seems many feel like they can board anytime they want, the letter means nothing. Yes, many have priority check-in, but to me that is not boarding.

Many think it is part of their cruise, the value boarding as early as possible.

I personally don't have a problem boarding by deck number. Most GS are on the most upper cabin decks, but there are lots of exceptions. On Allure, although we are in a GS, we are just a bit high than the first deck with balconies . On the big ships, Royal added GS and other Suites to those decks that have balconies.

Edited by troykahack

Well, based on the replies, it seems many feel like they can board anytime they want

Nobody can board whenever they want. They board when called. Check in and boarding are two separate things.

If I invite you to dinner at my house numerous times over the years at 5PM and you arrive and I am not prepared for you, I haven't even gotten back from the grocery store, and I routinely start with cocktails and appetizers at 6 and put dinner out at 7:30; would you keep coming over and sitting in your car at 5PM? Probably not.