MDR question

When we booked our cruise to Mexico a year ago our confirmation document indicated that we preferred early dining table for two. When we printed out our boarding documents today they say early dining table for 4 on request. I know they may not have enough tables for 2 but what does the table for 4 on request mean?

Marcia

When we booked our cruise to Mexico a year ago our confirmation document indicated that we preferred early dining table for two. When we printed out our boarding documents today they say early dining table for 4 on request. I know they may not have enough tables for 2 but what does the table for 4 on request mean?

Marcia

Looks like they are saying that they think you want early seating on a table for 4. We are seldom assigned exactly what we request for dining. Here is what to do: The seating assignment will be on your key card when you check aboard the ship. Go to the MDR and see if you are happy with that table and location. If not, there will always be the head waiter or his assistant at a table in the MDR sometime between 2 and 4 that afternoon taking requests for dining changes. Tell him what you want and there is a very good chance that he will able to give you the assignment then or before the next evening's dinner. We have had to do this more than half of the times we have cruised with HAL.

Dining table size requests are just that - a request. They do not pre-confirm the table size, only the seating time. Agree with others to contact HAL and have them change the table request size. Sometimes if a price adjustment, cabin change, etc is done table size requests can fall of and it is an easy thing to adjust. Then once aboard go to the MDR as soon as you can to check your table # and if not satisfied consult the Maitre'D that afternoon for a change. They will usually do everything they can to accommodate.

Yes, have the request changed to one for a table for two.

However, when assigned your table, do remember that sometimes only two people are seated at a table for four, so don't jump to the conclusion you didn't get what you asked for if that happens. Just check to be sure what the situation is.

When I make my dates for the trip with my travel agent, I tell them what I want for my table in the main dining room. I generally request for an early sitting and I like to get a table for six. When I get into my cabin I find out if i get what I had asked for. Almost every trip I do get what I asked for. If I do not get what I want, I go to the MDR right away and ask them to give me what I asked for and they will usually give it to me. I believe with that old saying "if you don't ask, you won't get".

Howard6933

First thing we do when we board is go to the MDR to see where our assigned table number is located. (Not easy because the tables are not in numerical order)

If we think we would like a change we then go to the Explorations Lounge where the maitre d is set up to handle any possible changes. Next thing is to wait a few days to see how the MDR settles out, as other make changes too.

We have always requested and gotten tables for two, though for late dining which is less popular. And yes, sometimes our table for two is a four-place table set up only for two.

Thanks for the info. My TA resubmitted our request for a table for two. If the dining room manager can't meet our request we will do open dining and that will be ok. I think I have gotten enough information from cruise critic to make it work.

Marcia

First thing we do when we board is go to the MDR to see where our assigned table number is located. (Not easy because the tables are not in numerical order)

Not sure how static the numbering schemes are but HALFacts.com has MDR table map PDF files. Such as this for Oosterdam . From the home page select class and then there should be a Dining Room Layout link for each ship. They might change the numbering but I'm guessing you would be in the general area.