Harv and Marv boats

hollon

I think we're going w/ the 12 people boat for Harv and Marv, due to previous notes about that being cancelled for rough waters, does anyone have a picture of their trip w/ the boat and how packed 12 people can be - is it too crowded? or should we go for the 6 people?

Thanks, was it far to the boat from the dock, I'm taking someone who uses a walker

They have very good information on their website about mobility issues and stepping in and out of their boats.

I remember seeing it when I was looking for options and my SIL would not have been able to do with her bad knees.....

I think we're going w/ the 12 people boat for Harv and Marv, due to previous notes about that being cancelled for rough waters, does anyone have a picture of their trip w/ the boat and how packed 12 people can be - is it too crowded? or should we go for the 6 people?

A few years ago we went out with Harv n Marv in a 6 passenger boat. It was rough and we started heading back to the dock. It got so rough we were picked up by a larger boat with another whale watch operator. It would have been very difficult for someone with mobility issues to transfer to the other boat in such rough waters. If you go with Harv n Marv, I’d suggest the larger boat. We’ll never use them again, regardless of the boat. It was poorly handled.

This is from another passenger that was on our trip.

We were on a morning trip on a 6 passenger boat on June 18. Seas were 2-3 feet. Our captain was worried, as seas were bad the day before, and she was checking with the office to see how the seas would be for the return, which was 3-4 feet. We saw lots of whales but hard to take pictures. Our captain radioed she was not going back out for the afternoon. On the way back, we had to "off board" a euphemism for abandon ship, and it was not very well executed, but no one went overboard. All the other boats were getting back, but not ours. She indicated she was going to motor south, so if she was your captain, no way would she have been back, or in any shape to pilot. Sorry you missed your trip, but very scary abandoning a ship and boarding another in rough seas with a captain who was in panic mode.

Here is the information from their website.....

There are three big steps to get in and out of our boats and the van parks about 300 yards away from our boat. If you cannot walk 1/2 mile or up and down stairs with ease, you should consider booking with a different company - although, all companies in Juneau leave from the same dock so they will all require the same walking distances.

Here is the information from their website.....

There are three big steps to get in and out of our boats and the van parks about 300 yards away from our boat. If you cannot walk 1/2 mile or up and down stairs with ease, you should consider booking with a different company - although, all companies in Juneau leave from the same dock so they will all require the same walking distances.

I believe Allen Marine who operates the whale watch tours booked through most cruise lines use a different dock that does not require steps. They note the tour is wheelchair accessible.

Last month we went in one of their "larger" boats that are available now. 12 of us. Tons of room for all. Open in front and rear for great viewing and pictures. Center is enclosed but with big windows. We had a great trip. We were thrilled with the hump back bubble feeding and orcas. Best whale watching experience for us.

I was on a 14-person boat with them and had a great time. There was plenty of space for passengers and crew, easy to access both the front and back open air viewing areas, and good interaction with the captain and crew. Our guide gave us tons of information about not just whales and seals but also the landmarks, surrounding glaciers, and some of the history of the bay. I'd gladly sail with them again.

Go to their website and under the "about us" tab one option is "boats" . When you click on that it will display photos of all of their boats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That tab does not look to be accurate. Our boat captain (Brandon) is not listed nor is the boat we were on. But it was all good as it was one of our favorite excursions. :)

I believe Allen Marine who operates the whale watch tours booked through most cruise lines use a different dock that does not require steps. They note the tour is wheelchair accessible.

Orca Enterprises had wheelchair accessible boats which I assume Dolphin Tours now uses.

Just returned from my Alaska cruise

I had booked a 6 person boat with Marv and Harv with 3 other people

a 5th person joined us at the dock.

due to weather they took us out on the larger boat........more than enough room for 20 people or so with viewing deck out front and back

this was an amazing trip..........saw whales very close (and many)

no one had trouble getting in or out of the boat

it is about a 20 minute drive from the ship to the dock

Marv and Harv will only take you back to the dock

they arranged for a taxi to meet us at the dock (at our request)

we went to mendenhall glacier, where the taxi driver again met us and took us back to the ship (after discussing our plans with him)

it was a great experience

and we got a tour thrown in

Thanks everyone, I really want to go w/ Harv/Marv, but looks like I need to go w/ Orca Ent. or which is now dolphin tours, as the walk seems to be difficult and do yall feel Dolphin Tours are good?

They had a great reputation until this summer when one of their boats sunk :(. I heard they hit rocks but never heard the results of the full investigation. They did fire the captain. Everyone rescued with out incident.

They had a great reputation until this summer when one of their boats sunk :(. I heard they hit rocks but never heard the results of the full investigation. They did fire the captain. Everyone rescued with out incident.

was that harv/marv boat that sank?

I chuckled when I saw that Dolphin news a month or so before our trip with Harv and Marv. Pre my booking with Harv and Marv, people mentioned that a captain had been drinking...a few seasons ago, so it was advised not to book them and to look at others including Dolphin. Considering the timing of that H and M "event" and consequences, I ignored it and we are MORE than enthusiastic about the tour we did with them.

Now Dolphin's reputation is being questioned because of this freaky crash. These are one time events. I wouldn't be concerned... but I would make sure you book the right size boat that makes you feel comfortable.

Some book whale watching with the cruise ship and those excursion boats ARE larger but they fill them to the brim with cruisers. I'd feel safer in a private booked excursion with a group of 12. Plus getting great views and pictures are a lot easier with a small group.

We did not find the walk to the boat or getting in a problem at all. Guess it does depend on the water conditions.:confused:

I chuckled when I saw that Dolphin news a month or so before our trip with Harv and Marv. Pre my booking with Harv and Marv, people mentioned that a captain had been drinking...a few seasons ago, so it was advised not to book them and to look at others including Dolphin. Considering the timing of that H and M "event" and consequences, I ignored it and we are MORE than enthusiastic about the tour we did with them.

Now Dolphin's reputation is being questioned because of this freaky crash. These are one time events. I wouldn't be concerned... but I would make sure you book the right size boat that makes you feel comfortable.

Some book whale watching with the cruise ship and those excursion boats ARE larger but they fill them to the brim with cruisers. I'd feel safer in a private booked excursion with a group of 12. Plus getting great views and pictures are a lot easier with a small group.

We did not find the walk to the boat or getting in a problem at all. Guess it does depend on the water conditions.:confused:

It was an Orca Enterprises Captain that had alcohol in his system and had been arrested. He had previous DUI arrests before and was the main Captain with Orca Enterprises. Dolphin purchased Orca Enterprises later that year. I don't know if that same Captain is operating a boat with Dolphin but I won't be in his boat. I doubt drinking in the morning was a one time thing. I hope he has retired.

As far as Dolphin goes, I don't know the details except for the Captain was fired the same day. I was surprised he would be fired if it was a fluke but stranger things have happened.

Edited by Coral

Wow, do you think it's safe to go w/ Dolphins now since they were both fired? I tried emailing them w/ questions, but haven't got an answer, I think I'll give them a call, anybody else have trouble w/ them responding thru email

Wow, do you think it's safe to go w/ Dolphins now since they were both fired? I tried emailing them w/ questions, but haven't got an answer, I think I'll give them a call, anybody else have trouble w/ them responding thru email

Only one Captain was fired with Dolphin. I don't know the status of the guy who worked for Orca Enterprises (which was sold to Dolphin). I haven't seen his name come up this year. He was not fired last year as he and the owner were a couple. He did not Captain last year but was on boats.

I would go with Dolphin. They have a solid reputation.