Spa tips in a month-long den of temptation

OlsSalt

We are taking our next cruise not entirely for the destination this time; but simply to get away and have some down time.

So I thought, why not treat this like a month-long trip to a health spa or Pritikin diet type retreat place.

I blame my own inability to resist temptation for a slow upward creep in weight over our past 350 days of cruising in the past 8 years. Now I am challenged to use the cruise experience for just the opposite - a minimalist health boot camp: diet, exercise and meditation retreat time.

A total switch in gears and while I know the obvious -eat less and move more, what are some tips from those who see cruising as a time for personal habit disciplines than a vacation, that allows more indulgences.

Never used the gym - what are tips about using this facility. The fitness and exercise classes? Best time for promenade deck walks. Special clothes to bring?

How to enjoy the buffet and MDR, but walk away under 400 calories per meal. I love looking up calories and measuring out portions on a kitchen scale now, which obviously I won't be able to do on board - so what tips about portion control do others use?

In one of the HAL libraries was the book "French Women Don't get Fat". Her tip was three bites only - savor it slowly for three bites and then push the rest away. And three times a year a weekend of "leek broth" fasts.

Anyone else who tried to intentionally make a cruise a weight loss experience in its own right? Not just a break-even experience, but a whole month of calorie intake restrictions. and exercise out-put enhancements?

Maybe I should just pack all small-sized clothes and won't be able to wear anything else until they fit?:cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

Other than my first 7 day cruise (embarassing to say what I ate),I have not put on more than one pound on a cruise.

We do longer cruises and I think when you do that you tend to realize that you don't need to have "everything" every day.

My mother (RIP) taught me a long time ago that a taste was often all one wanted.

I don't count calories. I eat what I want, but I don't go overboard and we are pretty active in ports,walk a lot and walk on board.

Desserts - IF we get one, we get one and ask for two forks -we both take a taste or two and we are done.

dinner - lots of times there are delicious salads on the menu - either as an appetizer or a main course. I will do that when the menu doesn't "grab" me.

Breakfast - Love eggs benedict - so I just get them without the sauce 90% of the time ;). I like them that way.

Really, if you do everything in moderation, there is no need to sacrifice. JMO :)

My goal on a cruise to not gain weight. To accomplish this I find that eating in moderation, enjoying salads, skipping virtually all sweet treats including ice cream, & walking 3-5 miles a day seems to do it for me. Everyones metabolism is different, just discover what works for you. This is coming from a person who used to be able to eat everything in sight and not gain weight. Now, I have to be quite disciplined; and it works for me.

While I am hardly slender, I have never gained weight on a cruise. Sometimes I've even lost a couple of pounds, without even trying. It's not a complicated formula. Here's what works for me:

1) Take the stairs as much as possible.

2) Walk the promenade any time you have a moment or the inclination. It's never been too busy for a good, brisk walk.

3) Avoid the Lido. Avoid the Lido. Avoid the Lido.

4) Eat as much as possible in the MDR, where there is portion control.

5) Drink wine, not froo froo cocktails. Lots of carbs in those cocktails.

6) Just say "no":) Haha. That one is easy to write.

7) Have fun, and laugh a lot. It burns up calories:)

ps The dining stewards will get you almost anything you ask for, and do most anything to be accommodating. So ask for more veggies and less bread on the table. They will do it for you!

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

I have had some cruises where I ate sensibly and did more exercise.

For me, it was waking up early to do to stretch class and the class after (often abs class). Walking a lot in port or going to the gym most days. If you want to go often, you'll need gym clothes (shorts take less room in the luggage and often I would just wear the previous day camisole or t-shirt instead of bringing another set). You'll need gym shoes too of course and you may want to bring a refillable water bottle.

In regards to food, I have been on South Beach diet in the past and I think it's a well balanced diet. If you are interested in that, I suggest you do the 2 first weeks at home as they are more restrictive (to cut out cravings) bit after that it's easy to eat anywhere following their guidelines ( I do it a little less strictly on a cruise).

Phase 2 is eat 2 cups of veggies (most of them, not including potatoes or fall squash) with some type of protéin for every meal (half cup or vegetable Juice for breakfast). Limit carb intake to two bread or starch portions per day and 2 fruit per day (and try to eat those with à protein, not on their own).

You can't have dessert on SBD as they will reintroduce cravings (so true) but if you did the two weeks phase 1, you won't have much cravings anyway. You could order fruit plate or berries for dessert (with or without splenda).

Alcool also has to be limited. One or two glass per day maximum (better not to drink every day). Best choice to avoid sugar-peaks from alcohol (and the cravings that go with it) is to drink it with a well balanced meal. Best Option : dry red wine with dinner; avoid anything with sugar or fruit Juice in it (personnally, gin tonic creates the less cravings but i sometimes go for a rum-and-diet-coke as it's one of my favorites). Vodka and tomato Juice would be another very good option but it's not my thing.

I've never gained weight on a cruise, but I've also never boarded with the intent of losing weight.

What I have recently experienced though is doing 40 or 50 flights of stairs a day looking after a sick kid and post-op DH. Six weeks of that, and I lost one full pant size. You may be able to use that information to your benefit, if your knees are decent :)

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful.

I am seriously interested in actually trying to replicate a disciplined weight loss program -boot camp type - equivalent experience on board and was wondering if anyone had tried this while on a cruise ship. In fact this could be a new HAL marketing ploy - a floating weight loss boot camp. Including an emphasis on and array 400 calorie meals total. Not just smaller portions, but weighed out and varied for choice and nutrition.

Using this upcoming cruise as a controlled, but informal sea-going "boot camp", instead of going to a land-based fitness camp like Pritikin or La Costa ...etc. This would make it a very, very different cruise experience for us - more internally-directed than externally directed.

It just seemed like a good upcoming cruise for me to try this different approach - actually using what a cruise ship has offer to intentionally lose weight in this relatively closed system environment. A pound a week - just to jump start things? Calories in, calories out.

I need to think about a pre-programmed battle plan to face all the weak spots that I know lurk for me. Peanuts with our sail away one drink per cruise tradition? Nope, not this time. Stroll through for a cookie or two mid-afternoon? Nope, not this time. Make a lunch out of Dive in Fries - nope not this time. Bread and butter? Nope, not this time. Indulgent lunch in port? Nope, not this time. Sounds grim? Yup, this time yes.

Love that tip - stay away from the Lido --stay away from the Lido - stay away from the Lido. Got it. Makes sense.

Edited by OlsSalt

Peanuts, in small quantities (like 15 a day) are actually good for you. It's a source of good fat and, paired with à drink, it might even help you not getting cravings from the alcohol (alcohol = sugar = cravings).

See, you don't have to give up everything :)