Handling Luggage from Ship to Flight

mammy123

We usually drive to the port, but for our next cruise we need to fly. I've heard something about luggage going from the ship to your flight, but don't know how it works, etc. We are flying Southwest, so don't know if they qualify. Tried looking on HAL's site, but I guess I didn't know where to look. Thank you for your help.:confused:

HAL offers a service called Luggage Direct in Seattle and Ft. Lauderdale and I believe Southwest is one of the carriers. For a cost of $19.95, your bags will be transported to the airline at the airport and you will see your luggage again when you get to your home airport. If your airline charges a baggage fee and SW doesn't for the first two bags, this will also be charged to your shipboard account. Your boarding passes and luggage tags will be printed and delivered to your stateroom some time on the last day before departure. You put your luggage outside your stateroom the last night.

On one cruise we were on ending in Ft. Lauderdale, Luggage Direct was not available - no reason given.

We are planning to use this service in Fort Lauderdale for the first time in November. I have read here that the boarding passes given to you on the ship are not "real" boarding passes and you will have to print those at the airport. Could someone please clear this up for me? Thanks!

On the last cruise we took, we used Carnival's version of "luggage direct" and it went very well. Dis-embarkation was a lot easier handling just the carry-on bag for the flight back home. Worthy every penny.

I will be using this process when we cruise in a mere 32 days

We are planning to use this service in Fort Lauderdale for the first time in November. I have read here that the boarding passes given to you on the ship are not "real" boarding passes and you will have to print those at the airport. Could someone please clear this up for me? Thanks!

The boarding passes we have gotten have been "real". The baggage tags that are printed get your luggage to the airline carrier at the airport where they then affix the destination baggage tags. It really does work!

Thank you both for your replies. They were both very helpful. Also appreciated the link. WOW, you even get your boarding pass.

We are flying back from FLL, hope they don't cancel it.

I believe that to participate in Luggage Direct the flight in question must not depart any earlier than 11:30am.

We used the HAL Luggage Direct service on our Alaskan Cruise from Seattle to our home airport. It worked great except for the printed boarding passes that HAL printed. The airport couldn't read the BAR codes on the passes. We held up the check in line at least 10 minutes and we were getting some nasty looks from those behind us. Fortunately we had the Southwest app on our i-phones and it finally dawned on us to use it.

The rest of the service was well worth the money.