Vacation Protection

Jamericannn

I always buy travel insurance but never Carnival's vacation protection. It is over priced for the coverage you get. I go to insuremytrip dot com and compare policies and prices there and purchase through them.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly with their experiences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always get it, god forbid the one time we don't is when we probably would need and use it! Its worth the extra money but I don't pay for 6 people just two of us, in your case, (depends on your age and your medical history though) if your under 47 I say save the money for something else, because I just started getting it at the age of 48.

I prefer to buy Carnivals for the convenience and they back me up should I need their help with something. Sometimes I would add additional coverage but it depends on where I am going but the standard should be sufficient, the way I see it, best to have something than nothing.

Six people I probably would not spend again, depends on your age and current health.

I always buy travel insurance but never Carnival's vacation protection. It is over priced for the coverage you get. I go to insuremytrip dot com and compare policies and prices there and purchase through them.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly with their experiences as well.

Thanks.. I did a lot a research on all areas of the cruise but did not check out anything regarding vacation protection elsewhere. I guess there can't be too much researching

We always get it, god forbid the one time we don't is when we probably would need and use it! Its worth the extra money but I don't pay for 6 people just two of us, in your case, (depends on your age and your medical history though) if your under 47 I say save the money for something else, because I just started getting it at the age of 48.

I prefer to buy Carnivals for the convenience and they back me up should I need their help with something. Sometimes I would add additional coverage but it depends on where I am going but the standard should be sufficient, the way I see it, best to have something than nothing.

Six people I probably would not spend again, depends on your age and current health.

Thanks Cruisegirl. Two of the6 are over 48 (55 and 83). None of the six have any major health issue. I am not planning on getting additional coverage.

Thanks Cruisegirl. Two of the6 are over 48 (55 and 83). None of the six have any major health issue. I am not planning on getting additional coverage.

$432 better used elsewhere?

Like covering that $300,000 medical bill for the 83 year old who falls down and strokes out in the middle of the Caribbean and requires immediate medical attention? Medicare doesn't cover outside the US.

Travel insurance is age based.

The 83 year old is better off using the cruise lines insurance. The rest of you could do better price wise

$432 better used elsewhere?

Like covering that $300,000 medical bill for the 83 year old who falls down and strokes out in the middle of the Caribbean and requires immediate medical attention? Medicare doesn't cover outside the US.

Travel insurance is age based.

The 83 year old is better off using the cruise lines insurance. The rest of you could do better price wise

I agree with you on the necessity of it for the 83 years old. She is in good health and very active for her age but I think it was necessary for her. I got it for everyone because the carnival agent sold me when she said if anything happens and one of us can't make the cruise then that person would get back everything. Seeing the cruise is months away I figured out I should get it for everyone because anything could happen between now and then.

Always get it. After having to cancel three cruises in two years, it was money well spent. Unless each traveler is young, each traveler's parents are young, and all grandparents are young, it is well worth the cost. Even if all involved are young and healthy, things can still happen, both pre-cruise and even worse, during the cruise.

Always get it. After having to cancel three cruises in two years, it was money well spent. Unless each traveler is young, each traveler's parents are young, and all grandparents are young, it is well worth the cost. Even if all involved are young and healthy, things can still happen, both pre-cruise and even worse, during the cruise.

Point taken. Thanks

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

Do you guys usually take out vacation protection? We took it out and it averaged to about $72 per person. It is 6 of us so that's $432 we could use otherwise. Just want to know if you guys think it is a necessity.

Thanks

We always buy insurance but never through the cruise line. The coverage limits are very low and the premium is very high.

We get it through Insure my trip. The premium is about $120.00 total for DH 64, myself, 52 and DD 16, with medical limit around $100,000, evacuation at about $500,000, etc, depending on the company.

Carnival's limits are, medical, $10,000 and evacuation is $30,000.

Last March I tripped over my own two stupid feet and broke my ankle in my friends front yard. If that can happen, anything can happen. I'm getting the insurance. Not from Carnival tho.

None of our feet are stupid though :). Just kidding. What company are you getting it through?

Edited by Jamericannn

We always buy insurance but never through the cruise line. The coverage limits are very low and the premium is very high.

We get it through Insure my trip. The premium is about $120.00 total for DH 64, myself, 52 and DD 16, with medical limit around $100,000, evacuation at about $500,000, etc, depending on the company.

That's a big difference. Not sure if the insurance is refundable but I will check it out.

As for which insurance company to us, that's debatable, but we've had good experiences with both Travel Safe and Travel Guard. Both refunded our money, Travel Guard twice, and Travel Safe once. I will say that Travel Safe was a little more reasonable in the amount of medical records requested, which made the process easier and faster. This is the reason we switched to them and have used them to cover our upcoming cruise. Both are less expensive and have better coverage than the Carnival insurance.

First cruise- 5 of us and we didn't purchase insurance (so glad we didn't need it); Another cruise-here or there, and we did purchase the insurance for the two of us and didn't need it;

HOWEVER, for our last booked cruise, we SHOULD have purchased insurance, because due to a serious health issue, we had to cancel the cruise about 12 days out, and knew we didn't deserve any compensation without the insurance; That's what insurance is for. We canceled it online, and just had to "suck it up"- and thankful for good Drs and the opportunity to try another time. I guarantee we will always purchase insurance, from now on! Next cruise coming up in Nov, hope we don't have to cancel, and so far, things look pretty good-LOL We are hopeful!

I have been buying travel insurance for the past 15 years or so.

I always thought I would use it for lost luggage or something trivial like that.

This past May we were on a b2b on Adventure of the Seas. During the second week we were docked in Bonaire, I was having chest pains, went to the doctor on board.

There was nothing the ship doctor could do.

There was nothing the little hospital in Bonaire could do.

On Call was able to secure a jet ambulance to fly us from Bonaire to Fort Lauderdale. I received two stents at Broward Health Medical.

I am only 58, I will always buy the travel insurance.

When traveling the Caribbean, there are not a lot of trauma centers.

Not only did the travel insurance pay for the jet ambulance ($25,000) it also refunded out of pocket hospital bills from Broward ($2200), hotel expenses in Fort Lauderdale ($800) and trip reimbursement ($2300)

We have a yearly policy that covers our medical and evacuation costs back to the USA.

Our credit card insurance covers things like canceling a cruise, lost luggage, etc. We had a family cruise for 14 planned. Our granddaughter had a ruptured appendix a week before the cruise so she and her parents were unable to go. Our credit card insurance (United Explorer) covered the total cost of their missed cruise.

So check to see if you have any coverage on any of your cards before deciding what kind of additional coverage you might need.

Edited by Viv0828

If you can get preferred Sapphire credit card from Chase it gives you trip cancellation coverage up to $10,000 each for a couple and trip interruption at the daily cost your paying, plus many other great perks! Check it out and with all my cards that we both get with air miles we have not flown coach internationally in 8 years business or first! At pay the tax fees our last trip to the U.K. The cost for first class was $18,000 it cost us $512

Edited by goldenrod

I agree, for the past 3 of Cruises I have always went to Insure my trip. Better Coverage than Carnival.