When will Carnival notify you of changes with this storm in the Caribbean right now?

marcyjane

Flying out early Friday morning to Ft. Lauderdale to board Carnival Conquest Oct. 1st. 2016. Sailing to Aruba, Curacao, La Romana, DR, & Grand Turk. For those of you that have faced this "storms in caribbean" before boarding I was just wondering how far in advance Carnival will notify you for a change in ports of call or delayed boarding leaving port etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I am watching the Weather Channel progress of the storm as well.

Last August, we were supposed to leave a day or two ahead of TS Erika making landfall in FL. They contacted us at 8pm the night before to tell us they were switching us from Southern to Western, then again at the terminal right before check-in.

Thankfully Erika fizzled out and we kept the Southern route, as announced at the muster drill.

Hi Marcyjane,

They won't make changes unless they feel it is necessary. With that thought they really don't know what will likely be necessary until the a day before.(24hrs.)

Looking at the storm front it would seem that other weather patterns will also affect it. It could very well move quickly and affect your flight day (Fri.) and be passed by the time they dock on Saturday. If that was the case then your cruise might not be affected at all. They have to take it one day at a time.

If it is a similar itinerary the people onboard this week will be affected and they would be informed on a daily basis as to changes.

Keep your fingers crossed, either way you will have a more clear picture tomorrow, but you likely won't know for sure until Friday.

good luck...hope you have a great cruise

No, I don't think so either. :( Hoping it goes out to sea and doesn't clash with travel for next weekend since that's when our cruise is.

I don't think they decide on itinerary changes until the last possible minute but they do monitor storms like a hawk.

Hi Marcyjane,

They won't make changes unless they feel it is necessary. With that thought they really don't know what will likely be necessary until the a day before.(24hrs.)

Looking at the storm front it would seem that other weather patterns will also affect it. It could very well move quickly and affect your flight day (Fri.) and be passed by the time they dock on Saturday. If that was the case then your cruise might not be affected at all. They have to take it one day at a time.

If it is a similar itinerary the people onboard this week will be affected and they would be informed on a daily basis as to changes.

Keep your fingers crossed, either way you will have a more clear picture tomorrow, but you likely won't know for sure until Friday.

good luck...hope you have a great cruise

Thank you so much. Yes keeping fingers crossed.

As a lifelong Floridian, who is also sailing out of Florida on Saturday, I'm not concerned at all. I would be concerned if the storm was predicted to hit Florida on Saturday, which isn't on any of the models. If Florida landfall were predicted for Saturday, they would probably keep the ships out at sea until the storm passed. Those folks would get an extra sea day and we'd lose a cruise day and would be compensated.

The closer we get in time, the more accurate the predictions.

As it looks now, the worst case scenario is that you'll lose a port if one of your ports is damaged or if the seas are too rough to port safely.

They change the route to avoid the storm. Sometimes they reverse the order, sometimes they swap out a port or add a sea day if no ports are available.

Matthew is predicted to turn due north on Sunday or Monday while he's over eastern Cuba. Long after we're gone. We'll already be half way to our first port, or already there.

You'll probably start your cruise by going around the west coast of Cuba. I didn't plot your course, if your first stop is way out east they may reverse it.

The weather after these storms is usually beautiful - they pull the clouds and rain with them.

I'll check back after we return from our cruises to see how it went. Please let us know.

Hope you have a blast!

Flying out early Friday morning to Ft. Lauderdale to board Carnival Conquest Oct. 1st. 2016. Sailing to Aruba, Curacao, La Romana, DR, & Grand Turk. For those of you that have faced this "storms in caribbean" before boarding I was just wondering how far in advance Carnival will notify you for a change in ports of call or delayed boarding leaving port etc.

Based on the current path, it is hard to make any predictions at this point. You could be notified the night before, at the terminal, or onboard. Make sure you have signed up for the text alerts!

Looking at the path and possible timing I believe that The Ecstasy, leaving Charleston this Sunday and porting at HMC, Nassau and Freeport on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (respectively) and returning to Charleston on Saturday is in most danger of interruption. Not only does the projected path hit the ports on Tuesday and Wednesday, but it could definitely be effecting Charleston by Saturday.

T.S. Matthew looks like it will still be way south of Florida Saturday. I wouldn't worry about getting on the ship. Since the storm is forecast to pass east of Cuba, I'd guess that your cruise might go west of Cuba to stay out of harm's way. How your itinerary will be affected will be up to Carnival based on weather forecasts and conditions and port availability. If I had to guess based on past experiences, you probably won't know about any itinerary changes until you are on the ship.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/145519.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Edited by winddawn

We were notified of itinerary changes during our cruise. It was to avoid a storm we would have gone straight through, had we not changed course. They did offer free phones to make changes to excursions, and also free computers, if phones weren't an option.

No worries, we still had a great cruise, and an unexpected port.

I hope you don't mind me threadjacking. But we are leaving out Sunday (2nd) for Jamaica, Grand Caymans, and Mexico. I'm not so much worried about the ship, but the shore excursions I've booked. I (of course) didn't buy insurance. If we have to go to a different port, or skip a port, will I get a refund for those excursions or will it be money lost? I am sailing on Splendor. Im going to try to call Carnival when they open, but thought I'd ask and see if anyone here knows. Thanks!

I hope you don't mind me threadjacking. But we are leaving out Sunday (2nd) for Jamaica, Grand Caymans, and Mexico. I'm not so much worried about the ship, but the shore excursions I've booked. I (of course) didn't buy insurance. If we have to go to a different port, or skip a port, will I get a refund for those excursions or will it be money lost? I am sailing on Splendor. Im going to try to call Carnival when they open, but thought I'd ask and see if anyone here knows. Thanks!

Generally if you booked the excursion through carnival, you'll be refunded for any missed ports. If the port day changes, typically you'll keep the excursion and go on the new day. If the tour operator can't accommodate the change, you'll be refunded.

If you booked excursions on your own, then it's up to whoever you booked it through, but you're probably out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums