Picton, New Zealand

Looking for some assistance for what to do in Picton, New Zealand during our upcoming cruise. I have heard that the downtown area is very nice for shopping, cafés, etc. I have also heard that this region is famous for its wines. Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

As a sidenote, Royal Caribbean does not offer that great of a variety of shore excursions (mostly very expensive) -hence why I am asking for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking for some assistance for what to do in Picton, New Zealand during our upcoming cruise. I have heard that the downtown area is very nice for shopping, cafés, etc. I have also heard that this region is famous for its wines. Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

As a sidenote, Royal Caribbean does not offer that great of a variety of shore excursions (mostly very expensive) -hence why I am asking for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes to both of those.

Plus when we're there a year ago, they had waterfront markets set up and the whale interpretation centre was well worth a visit too.

I have only ever been to Picton once, we arrived on the Interislander Cook Strait Ferry and the arrival through the Queen Charlotte Sound and into Picton were some of the most scenic views I have ever seen. We had dolphins surfing the bow wave - mega cool

We rented a cheap hire car and drove to Blenheim where there is a fantastic aviation museum but that's me I am into aircraft :D. Note - there were no dolphins in Blenheim.

If I had my druthers I would get the Captain to reverse out and go do the arrival a few times to see the dolphins.

Did I mention dolphins? :p

Picton is a delightful town at the head of one of the Marlborough Sounds.The highlight will be the cruise in/out of the sounds.

The wine region is called Blenheim,about a half hour drive from Picton. A google search will bring up more info for you. You would need to organise a private tour , or do the ships tour to get over there and a lot would depend on how long your ship is in port.

I have only ever been to Picton once, we arrived on the Interislander Cook Strait Ferry and the arrival through the Queen Charlotte Sound and into Picton were some of the most scenic views I have ever seen. We had dolphins surfing the bow wave - mega cool

We rented a cheap hire car and drove to Blenheim where there is a fantastic aviation museum but that's me I am into aircraft :D. Note - there were no dolphins in Blenheim.

If I had my druthers I would get the Captain to reverse out and go do the arrival a few times to see the dolphins.

Did I mention dolphins? :p

Did you happen to see the dolphins by any chance?

There is not a great deal to see or do in Picton itself, although a walk across the bridge to the right side of the waterfront leads to an bush walk, however if you enjoy rummaging around in a store jam-packed with "old wares" and "collectables", as you walk up the main street, look over to your right and on a corner in the next street parallel is a second-hand shop that has an amazing collection of old stuff, much of it really old...

Hire a car and go to the wineries. Make sure you prebook the car as it is very busy, most of the car rental companies are all together at the inter-islander terminal.

Try geisen winery and the chocolate factory. You can get lunch at geisen cellar door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hire a car and go to the wineries. Make sure you prebook the car as it is very busy, most of the car rental companies are all together at the inter-islander terminal.

Try geisen winery and the chocolate factory. You can get lunch at geisen cellar door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip on the winery and chocolate factory.:D

We organised our own wine tour in Picton, before we left Australia. We highly recommend Na Clachan Wine Tours. We were on the Explorer of the Seas and our arrival was around 1ish from memory, but we arrived late. Shuttle buses (free) take passengers to the town centre (visitors centre). Na Clachan Winery vans were waiting...we visited 3-4 wineries, a champagne winery, chocolate place. Other passengers had booked too. Great afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app