NCL newbie

Ned11

Hi Guys,

I only ever sailed with Royal and travel on my own but I am looking to bring my mother and father (newbies to cruising and in mid seventies) on the Epic for cruise around the Med in May.

I'm just after some thoughts on whether this is the right ship, things I might need to know? It would be very much appreciated. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Med & Epic:

Port intensive, mixed demographic, Epic is an inward ship, recent drydock, she was the first purpose built freestyle ship for NCL, great for entertainment, less connected with/to the sea. Brilliant Spa on board to revive from your port visits.

Balcony cabins feature a wave design with unique bathrooms, if you are sharing a cabin you might want to look into this.

hi,

as said before, if you want to share the cabin with your parents you might want to look at the "bathroom"

Basically it is an open bathroom. When you get into the cabin, the shower and toilett is on the left/right of the cabin door with a milkglass door. It can be "closed" with a curtain to the rest of the cabin. The sink is a bit closer to the rest of the cabin (other side of the curtain)

I would recommend to book a double room for your parents and treat yourself with a Studio cabin

the ship itself is great. I have done 4 Cruises with the Epic

I'm definitely having my own room.

Are you saying that the bathroom is not a proper wall? As in, not see through?

Here's the toilet compartment; note the latch to the cabin door on the right. The shower is similar, and situated on the other side of the door.

epic-toilet.png

But there a curtain you can pull round?

Yes there's curtain. As others have said, and there's no proper way to say it, the curtain does nothing to impact sounds and smells. I have friends going in a few weeks. They at least got to change their balcony cabin to one where the bed is closer to the balcony than the toilet.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Yes, believe all cabins are setup like that. It is a more modern setup. I can't tell you how many hotels I've been to recently that have been designed the same way. It doesn't bother me and my BF in the slightest, but is uncomfortable when traveling with a non-romantic partner. Your parents may or may not be bothered by it.

Thanks for all your replies. If they're not happy, they can always stand on the balcony and not hear anything.:D

I think these photos are exaggerated - its the lighting which has shown up that dark shadow.

I loved Epics bathroom layout - meant DH could shave whilst I was in the shower, I also love the instant handwash facility in the cabin -

Smells??? Shut the door!!! Good grief!

Your parents will be fine - anyone who has been married or with a partner long term, will be fine. Don't stare at the wall - there is a shadow but honestly - who cares?

Europeans love Epic - she is a fantastic ship with so much to do and something for every age group. It is the ideal ship for one travelling with family as there is so much to do.

Are you going for a solo studio?

Top tip for Epic - and one your parents might love - get a spa pass - it will be available to you at 90 days prior. It will show at 100days but will show as sold out - it comes available to you at 90 days and on Epic you need to be quick as they sell out.

The spa in Epic has a huge outdoor aft balcony with gorgeous loungers - perfect nap station. It has the most incredible indoor thalassotherapy pool - tiled heated loungers, sauna, steam room etc - your folks might love that space (as you would too!). They sell limited passes - and theres discount for pre booking.

I love Epic - we went on two Celebrity cruises AFTER our Epic cruise- and I missed Epic - booked to return on her in late 2017.

Your parents will be fine with the bathroom set up -

You might want to check out the solo studios - Our cousin travels with us and he loved it.

I have sailed Royal too - wont return - wasn't for us.

Let us know what you go for!

Yes, believe all cabins are setup like that

Yup. For anyone's reference:

Insides (no oceanviews on Epic), balconies and mini suites have that setup. Minus HC staterooms.

Everything above mini suites (Haven and up) have different setups, best to see the floor plans for those.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic#staterooms