Anyone ever not get back on boat and fly home?

txagfan

Have a family member joining us on an upcoming cruise who is having a very difficult time with their work schedule. It seems the only way they can join us is if they fly home from our last port stop, Cozumel. They would just miss a sea day (Day 6) and getting off the boat (Day 7).

I've read about people joining in-process cruises on here, but never anyone planning to disembark during a cruise. People are left behind all the time, but wasn't sure what the correct protocol is for this. For example, do you just get off the boat saying nothing and just don't return? Seems like one of those don't ask don't tell situations. Appreciate anyone's assistance with this question.

I think your ask don't tell scenario might be a bit complicated as they will need to be taking their luggage off with them. Also it might not be very fair to the thousands of other passengers if the ship waits for someone who has no intention of returning. At the very least they will be announcing there name and having to check security etc.

I did have a friend leave a cruise midway before as they were suffering terribly from vertigo. It was on HAL and they were extremely helpful with making arrangements etc.

If it were me I might be inclined to say nothing beforehand and then just let the front desk know on board that I needed to return home early. I am sure this must happen often with family and work emergencies.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for future reference.

Rochelle

My son did this earlier this year. We told the concierge our plans when we embarked. Actually he left at one port and joined us a few days later at another port. I don't think your guest will have an issue. And he will be visiting a foreign port so that will satisfy that issue if anyone thinks that would cause a problem.

On 2 separate occasions we got off the ship in St. Maarten, the 6th day of the 7 days cruise that disembarked in San Juan. ( we stayed another week in St. Maarten before flying home).

We just had to notify the ship before hand and they took our passport the night before and returned to us the next morning before we departed the ship.

As long as you don't violate the PVSA by doing so, it is not a problem, but it must be arranged in advance so they can make provisions for customs (the process is different for those not expected to return to the ship).

And of course, there will be no credit to cruise fare.

As long as you don't violate the PVSA by doing so, it is not a problem, but it must be arranged in advance so they can make provisions for customs (the process is different for those not expected to return to the ship).
The OP's family member wants to disembark in Mexico, so there is no possibility of a PVSA violation. In fact, I wonder if you can convince NCL to let you book an illegal b2b itinerary (i.e. from one US port to another without a distant foreign stop) if you commit to disembarking in a foreign port in the middle of the second leg. Probably not.

I meet a lady on the ship in Bermuda who does not sail.

Her husband and children sailed from Boston annually.

She flew to Bermuda and was already @ the pier when the ship arrived.

She spent the 3 days vacation on board with them.

I did see her again waving goodbye from the dock @ sail-away.

As i remember she paid full fare for her cruise..

Edited by biker@sea

I've done this (not on that particular itinerary) and it was an easy process. I would not wait until you're on the ship though. I contacted the cruise line before the cruise and let them know I wanted to debark at the last port. We went to Guest Services when we docked at the last port and closed out our onboard account and left the ship with our luggage. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable simply getting off the ship and not returning.