Ocean view more expensive than Superior Balcony?

This past spring we booked a Christmas Holiday cruise on Independencd of the Seas for Christmas 2016. We booked a large ocean view stateroom on Deck 10. Earlier today, I looked on Royal Caribbean.com to check the price of a Superior Oceanview Balcony Stateroom. I discovered the Balcony was over $400 cheaper than the large Oceanview cabin we paid for.

I called the 800 number and inquired about switching to the balcony and possibly getting a refund or room credit for the $400 price difference.

I made the final payment last week. I was told by the Representative because the final payment date has passed, I could NOT get a refund or credit for the price difference. $400 is pretty significant. I inquired about cancelling my reservation, taking the $100 hit then rebooking the balcony. We purchased airfare through Royal Caribbean and I was told that would complicate the cancellation. In the end, we decided to go ahead with the balcony and looks like we will eat the $400. I wish there was more we could do.

Have you ever heard of a situation like this, and what would you do?

Yeah, that's the policy. After final payment you can upgrade and pay the extra if it costs more, or get the upgrade for free if it's cheaper. No OBC and no refund past final payment.

Cancelling would have likely cost you more than $100, after final payment you lose the full deposit amount; $250 per person for non-suites. Reduced deposit doesn't matter, at least not officially, the deposit "fee" is the full deposit amount for a normal booking of that room type.

Thanks for the reply. I figured there is nothing I could do. I'm still happy for the balcony. Now I'll keep an eye on the Jr Suite prices. The representative said I could upgrade if I wanted to pay the difference. As of today, that price is $500. If the price drops, I may upgrade.