A small tip for safely tipping extra on NCL ships

BreeYark

Not loving the response you received when you tried to have the issue rectified, but in terms of the honesty/dishonesty question, my gut is telling me that it's an honest mistake.

Given how uncommon it is for $1.00 to be written as 1.00$, my hunch is that in processing the slip, they saw the number 1 with two zeros and another character (who knows how legible) after that, and assumed that it was intended to be 10.00.

The same thing happened to us. We ate in a Specialty restaurant and I left a tip of $15.00 for the three of us.

My on board account showed a tip of $150.00!!!! I immediately talked to customer service and they indicated the restaurant had to make the correction. Needless to say I followed up with customer service until the charge was corrected.

I'm sure it was just a typing error and no one intentionally changed the amount. It's pretty easy to type and extra zero when entering the info.

Point is customer service should have been on top of the issue and not (seemingly) blown it off.

May be weird to you, but apparently many CC members feel as I do. Tipping a server $1 would be like tossing the bartender a quarter. Sure, technically it's something, but I don't think he'd be thrilled.

At first Servers' look at me kinda sideways when I tipped with $2 Canadian coins. :D

On my last cruise, I had an unpleasant situation at a specialty restaurant. I had the SDP, with prepaid tips, but I decided to add an extra tip to the bill, having received great service. So I clearly wrote "1.00$" on the extra tip line. My account then showed a 10.00$ charge at that restaurant. I went to customer service to mention the mistake and all they could do was "leave a note for the specialty restaurant". It never got corrected. I don't like to waste time on these unpleasant things during a cruise, so I let it go, just making sure I never extra-tip that specific waitress again.

I'm not sure if this is a common scheme from the restaurant staff or if this is just an honest mistake, but I learned from that and I started writing my extra tips with words and letters, just to make sure I don't open up the opportunity for the same situation ever again. Now I clearly write "One dollar" on the extra tip line, with lines before and after, just like I would on a check.

So my tip for safely tipping extra is just this : Write everything in words, not in numbers. This will greatly reduce the opportunity for a hard-to-correct unpleasant mistake to show up on your account.

I wish they had a separate area to talk about tips this is so lame.

For one $1 or not just throw it on the table who cares "CASH".

second I know most folks do not tip over 20% so I don't know why they get all crazy about tipping extra on here.

Lastly who cares what other people tip do what you think is right and enjoy your vacation. That is why they put the tip in for you so you can not worry about it and enjoy your self. And if you want to throw in extra for great service that is up to you.

If we opened this up to people's experiences in restaurants on land (in North America), I think everyone would have lots of examples to share. They swipe your card for one amount, but they are actually authorized to charge you some higher amount that they punch in after you leave. You don't get an opportunity to verify and approve the amount they charge you, you just have to wait until it shows up on your statement and hope it's what you agreed to.

This crazy system obviously leaves the door wide open for mistakes, and fraud.

On my last cruise, I had an unpleasant situation at a specialty restaurant. I had the SDP, with prepaid tips, but I decided to add an extra tip to the bill, having received great service. So I clearly wrote "1.00$" on the extra tip line. My account then showed a 10.00$ charge at that restaurant. I went to customer service to mention the mistake and all they could do was "leave a note for the specialty restaurant". It never got corrected. I don't like to waste time on these unpleasant things during a cruise, so I let it go, just making sure I never extra-tip that specific waitress again.

I'm not sure if this is a common scheme from the restaurant staff or if this is just an honest mistake, but I learned from that and I started writing my extra tips with words and letters, just to make sure I don't open up the opportunity for the same situation ever again. Now I clearly write "One dollar" on the extra tip line, with lines before and after, just like I would on a check.

So my tip for safely tipping extra is just this : Write everything in words, not in numbers. This will greatly reduce the opportunity for a hard-to-correct unpleasant mistake to show up on your account.

better yet, when leaving an additional tip do it in cash.

A question about an incorrect tip written in by the guest should always be taken care of by guest services, no questions asked.

Edited by tonit964

We leave our extra tips in cash.....DH carries singles (for drinks) and fives (for dinners).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good idea! I will make sure we have a bunch of small bills for good service personnel we come across!

To be fair the op tipped $1 + expected tip.

A 20% tip if you believe the meal that you and your guests it was worth $50 bucks per person would be $10 per person. The gratuity charged for the meal package is $4.86 per person per meal. So if you were trying to give your server a decent tip you would have to give them about $5 additional each person rather than only $1 total.

Either you didn't think the lobster or steak dinner you had was worth $50 per person or you didn't think the service was worthy of a 20% tip. I can understand how you feel because I have often not left any additional tip when Auto tipping is in force. I sort of feel like the punishment for forcing me to Auto tip is a decrease in the tip. I'm sure a lot of you will feel that this philosophy is unfair but that's the way I feel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

The real lesson is that if you are concerned with something like this happening, then leave cash.

A 20% tip if you believe the meal that you and your guests it was worth $50 bucks per person would be $10 per person. The gratuity charged for the meal package is $4.86 per person per meal. So if you were trying to give your server a decent tip you would have to give them about $5 additional each person rather than only $1 total.

Either you didn't think the lobster or steak dinner you had was worth $50 per person or you didn't think the service was worthy of a 20% tip. I can understand how you feel because I have often not left any additional tip when Auto tipping is in force. I sort of feel like the punishment for forcing me to Auto tip is a decrease in the tip. I'm sure a lot of you will feel that this philosophy is unfair but that's the way I feel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

The 18% gratuity is charged on the value of the package, not the meal, and how much someone thinks the meal is worth is really irrelevant. OP left something over and above the 18%, something they did not need to do. I am sure it didn't make the server's day but I'm sure it didn't ruin it, either. (And for what it's worth if I've been charged a gratuity then I'm not likely to leave more unless the service was superlative or we had special requests that were met.)

Actually Im Canadian and we usually leave 20% as most Canadians ;-)

Really, because I use to be a waitress, and I never got more than 2% from a Canadian. Since the majority of our income came from tips none of us were to happy when the customer told us they were from Canada. So I was very surprised when I went to Canada and they expected a generous tip.

Maybe tipping is different in Canada .. It could be ;)

No tipping is NOT different in Canada.

15%-20% is the standard norm.

More if the service is outstanding.

Less if the service was lacking.

I am sorry but no matter how you justify it an extra $1 at a specialty restaurant is an insult.

If you are going to do that bring cash and leave it in the bill fold they bring you at the end of the meal.

Really, because I use to be a waitress, and I never got more than 2% from a Canadian. Since the majority of our income came from tips none of us were to happy when the customer told us they were from Canada. So I was very surprised when I went to Canada and they expected a generous tip.

I would like to know where in Canada your tourists are coming from because this is just unacceptable and honestly very embarrassing😞