Need help with decision on October cruise.

mmsoko

We are considering a cruise from Rome through Tuscany and then on to Barcelona. The prices in October are a considerable savings.

Are we making a mistake considering October in this area?

I would suppose the weather makes the difference, correct?

Any advice and or experience would be appreciated.

I've never heard of a cruise going "through" Tuscany. But, yes, many stop at Livorno, which is in Tuscany. Which ship are you looking at and what are the ports in between Rome (well, actually, Civitavecchia, the port for Rome) and Barcelona?

Fall is a nice time to visit Italy. Things are not as crowded and hectic as in the summer. It's not stifling hot. I've been in Tuscany in late September and loved it. I can imagine October would be that way, also.

The only thing I could think of that may be unavailable would be the ferries between the villages in Cinque Terre. I could be wrong, but I think they are not year-round.

I've never heard of a cruise going "through" Tuscany. But, yes, many stop at Livorno, which is in Tuscany. Which ship are you looking at and what are the ports in between Rome (well, actually, Civitavecchia, the port for Rome) and Barcelona?

Fall is a nice time to visit Italy. Things are not as crowded and hectic as in the summer. It's not stifling hot. I've been in Tuscany in late September and loved it. I can imagine October would be that way, also.

The only thing I could think of that may be unavailable would be the ferries between the villages in Cinque Terre. I could be wrong, but I think they are not year-round.

You are correct...ship stops in Livorno and then Portofino. Titled "TUSCANY AND RIVIERAS". Thanks for your quick reply.

You are correct...ship stops in Livorno and then Portofino. Titled "TUSCANY AND RIVIERAS". Thanks for your quick reply.

Looks like Amazara - enjoy! The port stop in Livorno is like 1.5 days, right? That gives you lots of options on things to do.

Slidergirl has already listed most of the pluses.

On the minus side, it's possible you would get some rainy days in October. (More so on your itinerary than ones that do more of the southern or eastern Med.) However, it's not a given and I've experienced mostly good weather in the Med ports in October and even in November.

It can also be windier and the seas a little rougher. I've sailed the Med quite a bit in the fall. Once we were unable to get into Civitavecchia port (the port was closed due to wind/high seas) so Rome was cancelled. This is extremely rare, however.

Mid October in the Med is when the weather starts to change. It can be warm and sunny, but equally can be windy and wet, it is impossible to tell.

Exactly our experience.

Sailed out of Istanbul early October, warm & sunny, pool deck jam-packed.

Similar weather most of the cruise.

Returning to Istanbul 10 days later, weather turned on our last sea-day, pool-deck cold, windy, deserted. Similar weather post-cruise in Istanbul.

We've taken breaks in Spain frequently in October & later. Rather an out-of-season feel to the resorts (but not the cities), very mixed weather from outside dining to huddling in bars.

Climate averages mean nothing at that time of year, it's a matter of luck with the weather.

Probably you'd be lucky, mebbe you wouldn't.

Its also an unpopular time of year for most types of vacation in most parts of the northern hemisphere - summer's just gone, kids in school, so traditionally good value.

JB :)