Ship's computers vs. bringing my own laptop?

Buckimion

I've heard reports that the computers onboard many Carnival ships are very slow and may have multiple issues with operating. I am debating on if I should bring my own laptop, which, while far from a speed demon, is familiar to me. I'm planning on signing up for the mid-tier, to check e-mail and do basic browsing, but won't be playing around with video or other media.

In addition, what is the current rate for 5 day cruises? I'm only seeing the daily rate now on Carnival's site. Did they do away with the discount for length-of-cruise?

Im not sure about the 5 day price. I just got off the Glory and it was $19 and around $75 for the cruise. The only days the Internet is really slow is on sea days because everyone is using it and they usually don't log off. I personally would bring my own device to use because there are limited computers on board and I can browse from anywhere if I brought a lap top or tablet.

I used my laptop on the 5 day cruise on the Liberty. I bought the full cruise unlimited mid tier package for $48.00. I had no problems accessing my e-mail and was able to surf most websites with no problems. I prefer to check e-mail etc. in the comfort of my cabin instead of going to their computers.

The speed with you can upload and download is determined by the speed capability of the wifi system on board. As it's via satellite and not tower this could generate some slowness. And did so in the past. Yes, carnival's on board public computers are or were technically "old" so that too affects download time.

You're not going to be running any applications on their computers, just browsing the web. Its the link speed that is the main factor, and that's the same whether its your device or theirs. Cost is the same, too. Just a matter of whether you want to sit in their public areas and use their computer or sit wherever you want and use yours.

Nowadays, you can pickup a "Chromebook" for under $200 shipped, light (3 to 4 lbs w. charger) & excellent battery life, as long as you have WiFi connectivity, to surf the web, check emails - much more versatile than an iPad or tablet, and on a faster/better connection at land, do your data transfer and access cloud storage.