How many risk No insurance when cruising

bogofman

For anyone considering relying solely on a credit card's included trip insurance, please note that even the most savvy of the travel cards do not have waivers for pre-existing medical conditions. Thus, if you make a trip interruption/cancellation claim related to a medical issue that appeared or changed during the "look back" period (before depositing or purchasing the trip), your claim will most likely be denied.

Nor do they cover medical evacuation.

Nor do they cover medical evacuation.

Wouldn't go without it. Fall over break an ankle, medivac off ship. Have been on four cruises where someone has had to be medivaced.

Australian Dept Foreign affairs and trade has a slogan. If you can't afford insurance you can't afford to travel.

Fingers crossed and touching wood I have never needed it but the price of insurance and I am older and have existing conditions is generally about the same amount you pay daily for gratuities.

I know elderly people who cruise with Saga (over 50s only) because their all inclusive cruises include insurance. Some of these people have problems which would cost an enormous amount for sufficient cover, so would have had to stop cruising without these ships.

By the way, I've only just discovered that the EHIC can be used in Martinique... I'm not sure whether that's so in the French part of St Martins?

• 2 weeks later...

We generally use Travel Guard or CSA. used Access America once. We don't pay for cancel for any reason, though I'd like to because of my older cat!

With Travel Guard you must buy within a week or 10 days of your first payment in order to get coverage for pre-existing conditions. Not so with CSA. I think it's about 8-9% of the total trip cost.

Something else I didn't know about for the longest time is the requirement to cover all facets of your trip including air. I think that is necessary in order to get pre-existing coverage.