How many risk No insurance when cruising

bogofman

We always purchase cruise insurance through the cruise line. Just tack it on at the end of the check out process and it's done, no need to think about it further. I would never travel on a cruise or land without insurance. You just never ever know what might happen. Nobody really thinks they will get sick or lose their luggage (well, I'm always thinking my luggage will get lost!). It's very cheap compared to the cost of the cruise and the coverage is pretty good. I recently read the fine details of trip insurance we purchased to go to Mexico and I was very impressed with how much it covered.

How do you purchase it? Is this the insurance that is offered fom the cruise line or is it an add-on to your basic insurance? Do you get it short term just before you leave for a month increment?

I think I should start looking into this.

Thanks.

I see Clarea already answered the where to look. On most we have just used the insurance provided by the cruise line. Based on concerns about Hurricane Matthew we may reconsider in the future. On two cruises to Panama we used the insurance provided through the travel agency.

We sign up for the insurance when we make the reservation. I believe there are penalties if you wait too long after making the reservation.

Medicare will not cover you outside of the US. As for other medical insurance it depends on the company. However I will warn you that if you ever have to be airlifted off the ship, you'll be very thankful to have trip insurance. Almost no air or land ambulance providers contract with insurance companies which means they can bill you for the difference between their billed charges and your insurances allowed charges. Those bills are often in excess of $100,000.

The information you posted is exactly what I have been told and have read. I never bought trip insurance before we became of Medicare age. Hate medicare.

Had wonderful insurance coverage before age 65. Now I always buy the trip insurance.

We have been on 36 cruises as of yet have never purchased cruise insurance.I figure if I lost out on price of one in 10 cruises we would be even. So if we did lose out on cost of a cruise in the long run we would be ok.

Hey Gopher, good to see you posting. Not all of can afford the cost of a medical emergency in a foreign country. How was your cruise to Europe, I believe on Princess.

Loved your roulette game on The Connie.

Grace

I've purchased on the last couple of cruises after hearing horror stories about the cost of medical evac. Plus, I have an aging parent that could put a cruise in jeopardy.

I use insuremytrip.com and have been pretty happy with the rates.

We buy third party (non-cruise line) insurance. See these websites:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Bob,

Like math, insurance is not one of my strong suits. I have attempted to understand the best trip insurance for us in the past by viviting some of these sites. How do you determine which is the best bang for your buck? Is there one of these that you prefer and use over and over?

Thanks,

Grace

Don't just visit the websites as it can get confusing. We use the Trip Insurance Store and call and talk to them about my needs, the Trip and my biggest concerns. They will offer suggestions and reasons for those suggestions. I always get an education when I call. That's a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Medicare will not cover you outside of the US.

You should be able to get a, what I suppose is called Medigap (but it works so seamlessly with Medicare we don't see a difference) policy that does. My mother in law has schedule F with Medicare that covers 80% of Medicare-covered expenses, and her aarp/uhc supplemental would cover the rest.

Of course it would be a reimbursement situation.

But I've recently realized that for her, since there's only one situation where she will travel abroad in the future, we need to scale it back from F and just get travel insurance IF that travel circumstance ever comes again.

I've often pondered the idea that the air rescues are done for those with travel insurance, while those without coverage or means to pay for that are the ones rushed back to Nassau in the middle of the night by the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob,

Like math, insurance is not one of my strong suits. I have attempted to understand the best trip insurance for us in the past by viviting some of these sites. How do you determine which is the best bang for your buck? Is there one of these that you prefer and use over and over?

Thanks,

Grace

Grace, everyone's needs are different. We use Travel Guard because it's recommended by our travel agent, but it might not be the best bang for the buck. Mostly I want good evac coverage, and we get $100K with that policy.

The information you posted is exactly what I have been told and have read. I never bought trip insurance before we became of Medicare age. Hate medicare.

Had wonderful insurance coverage before age 65. Now I always buy the trip insurance.

If you can cover the premiums, you might be able to make your Medicare situation as good as the one you had.

MIL has schedule F which means she can go to any hospital, and it would cover 80% abroad. She then has a supplemental policy through AARP and UHC that covers the rest. And she has drug coverage.

Between all of that she pays about $5 every 90 days for 7 pill-based medications. Pays nothing that I can recall for her diabetes testing materials (gets them through CVS at Target...ordering from her mail order company would cost her money, and back before I was in charge of her medical care another relative was ordering from one of those advertised places and she AND Medicare paid through the nose as they lied about how expensive things were...they sent her a new meter every few months!). The only drug with a decent cost are her clonidine patches, which WE pay for because she thinks it's too expensive ($40/month) and she's not compliant to take the pills exactly on time as required.

She never gets a medical bill at all because of the supplemental.

And I hear that if she wanted to be under Chiro care, that they'll cover some of that, too.

Her premiums are upwards of $500/month, but given that she's a heavy western medicine user with numerous health problems and many doctor visits, it's worth it. Especially when she is hospitalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we use GeoBlue for our yearly medical/evacuation insurance.

a variety of credit cards come with insurance. be sure to check yours. we could have made a couple of additional claims in years past had we realized that!!

We have been on 36 cruises as of yet have never purchased cruise insurance.I figure if I lost out on price of one in 10 cruises we would be even. So if we did lose out on cost of a cruise in the long run we would be ok.

Hey, Lonnie.......good to see you on here. We became true believers in Travel Insurance when we retired and found Medicare didn't cover us outside the States. Di found us an annual policy.:cool:

My medical coverage, Blue Cross, will reimburse after I get home and submit all of the paperwork. Make sure those credit cards have high limits. I do not have limits of 100K plus for medical evacuation if the facilities are not able to resolve your condition so evacuation coverage is my priority. The only time you need insurance is when you don't have it.

I also have BC; however, my policy has no out of network payment option. So, if I don't go in network, I pay the entire thing. While my coverage is great, our company needed to do this in order to keep the premium increases down. I could have changed to a policy with out of network options, but the cost increase to me would have been more than double my current costs.

I also travel with my mom, who is 80, so there is always the concern that something will happen with her, and Medicare will not cover out of the US. Plus, I'd want her medevac'd home if something happened.

I also agree that the cost of the cruise is already paid, so if we lost that, it's spent anyway. I don't consider spent costs when I'm deciding on something like purchasing insurance. It's a hedge against future costs that concerns me.

It's the little things that are different. Best thing to do is to go to a site like insuremytrip and compare 3 policies side by side to see how they are different.

Pre-exisiting condition coverage, cancel for any reason, cancel for jury duty, cancel for work, amount of deductible, dental coverage (amount of deductible for that), cancel for terrorism in area, amount of time your plane is delayed before coverage kicks in, amount of reimbursement for lost luggage- all of these things may add to the cost of your policy, and some policies to don't cover each thing: you have to read your policy.

I have gone to the reviews section and read only the bad reviews to see what people complain about. Often it is because they didn't know their policy, or didn't submit correct documents, or didn't know their deductible, etc. I don't think I have ever seen an instance where a someone was just denied reimbursement for no reason.

You usually have 10 days to cancel so you can get the policy, thoroughly review it, and then decide. Sometimes they deduct a small fee ($5) for cancellation.

It pays to read the contract with insurance because all of the policies are so different.

Edited by marci22

Reading lots of threads of folks not taking travel insurance when cruising

What happens with medical cover, does the US medical insurance cover traveling or would the travel insurance cover that?

I've seen many medical evacuations by helicopter and i cannot begin to guess the cost of that if someone is not covered.

As that credit card company says: "Never leave home without it"!;)

I used to never buy policies, then as I got older, I started buying policies, but they were so expensive for 5 people.

So now I put some of the cost of the trip on a card like Chase Sapphire, which has trip cancellation/interruption for specified reasons, for free, and add on a medical policy, which is much cheaper. Usually 3 medical only policies come up on insuremytrip so not much to compare, but some cover a little more than medical.