REALLY early embarkation

OnTheWater50

Well, we just got our (tentative) Viking Air from San Francisco to San Juan for our January Caribbean cruise. We are traveling red-eye through Houston (this is fine, we expected overnight flights from the West Coast) and arriving at San Juan at 6am on the day of embarkation.

Viking has assured me we will be able to embark and drop luggage (our rooms won't be ready until the afternoon, of course). Hanging out on the ship and relaxing will be fine - I'm not sure we will be in any shape to drop off luggage and immediately sally forth to explore/sightsee. Does anyone have experience with really early embarkation? Was it a problem? Is food available?

Viking booked this air/transfer so I'm hoping the plan is to take us directly to the ship from the airport. It's always helpful to hear from other CC members! Thanks!

I can say that we took their Grand European river cruise and flew from Denver to DC and then on to Amsterdam. It was an over night flight. We got off the plane, checked into the hotel and hit the pavement immediately. We weren't tired until we finally hit the pillow that night. We will be doing that same thing for the Homelands cruise in May.

Well, we just got our (tentative) Viking Air from San Francisco to San Juan for our January Caribbean cruise. We are traveling red-eye through Houston (this is fine, we expected overnight flights from the West Coast) and arriving at San Juan at 6am on the day of embarkation.

Viking has assured me we will be able to embark and drop luggage (our rooms won't be ready until the afternoon, of course). Hanging out on the ship and relaxing will be fine - I'm not sure we will be in any shape to drop off luggage and immediately sally forth to explore/sightsee. Does anyone have experience with really early embarkation? Was it a problem? Is food available?

Viking booked this air/transfer so I'm hoping the plan is to take us directly to the ship from the airport. It's always helpful to hear from other CC members! Thanks!

The only bad part I could see with this is that disembarkation for the previous cruise is probably not complete before 10 am(at least on our recent cruise) and the holding area is the Atrium area, which is usually the area where you enter the ship. We did not use Viking for our air and were able to leave when we wanted but I will say that area was crowded. Remember, there are 930 people on the ship that are leaving that morning, and everyone, going or coming is using the same entrance. This is probably why embarkation is scheduled at 11 am. Dropping your bags at the ship should not be a problem though. I do not know if there are areas or places to hold early passengers at the port. In the case of Stockholm. there are not, but as I'm thinking back on it there was a tent type facility that had to pass through and this could have been for that reason. As we were not able to make restaurant reservations until boarding, we arrived about 10:45 and were able to board. After checking in with guest relations, lunch and a do it yourself type tour, we were able to find our cabin and even though it was not promised before 3 pm, we saw that bags had arrived to our cabin and our "guys" told us it was ready. I did have something else planned if that had not worked out. Of course, each situation should be the same, there are variables so do go with a plan B if desired situation can not be accomplished.

If you can't board right away you can drop your bags and there are several cafes and restaurants within an easy walk of the port. There are also usually people from a tour company (whose name I cannot recall) there at a kiosk if you feel ambitious. A couple hour tour that is pretty good and not too expensive might keep you occupied until you can get to your cabin.

In San Juan, between claiming your luggage and getting to the ship, it will probably be at least 7am. Depending on whether there are others on your flight or other flights with Viking passengers around your time of arrival, your luggage may go by a separate vehicle to the ship, while the passengers go in a van of sorts. You may wish to keep your carryon with you.

When you arrive at the ship, you will go thru check-in and receive your boarding key cards. From there you can probably go to the ship and get some breakfast. They may have a bag-check area for your carryon if you wish to store it until your cabin is ready.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Becki

I can say that we took their Grand European river cruise and flew from Denver to DC and then on to Amsterdam. It was an over night flight. We got off the plane, checked into the hotel and hit the pavement immediately. We weren't tired until we finally hit the pillow that night. We will be doing that same thing for the Homelands cruise in May.

We did the same for our Rhine Getaway. Flew overnight from NY/NJ. Landed in Amsterdam at 7:45am, dropped the bags at the hotel (our room wasn't ready yet) and headed out. We even did a concert at Concertgebouw without falling asleep :)

• 2 months later...

Too late of the OP, but to others - a suggestion or two.

One, we always fly in the day before and especially with long flights like this. Get a hotel, see a bit of the town and INSURE you get there in time. After all, if you miss that overnight flight, or it is cancelled, you will not get there in time. Insurance will NOT help you get on a ship that has already sailed.

If you are unable to get there the day before, then at least plan on spending some time in the port area. There is a good chance you will be sitting somewhere, maybe for hours before you can board.

• 8 months later...

Our friends are flying from Denver overnight to Miami. Arrive at 6 am in Miami and will supposedly be picked up by Viking by 7 am. They will be transported by Viking to the Miami port, but was told by Viking they would not be able to board the Sky until 11 am. Has anyone been to the area Viking uses for their port and what type of facilities are there for the passengers awaiting their ability to board the ship? I vaguely remember reading somewhere it might only a covered area, but not a building. Any answers??? Thanks for advice.

Hi all, I am the OP. Let me start by saying our Viking Ocean cruise was one of our favorite vacations ever - and we have another one booked. HOWEVER - we did arrive around 5:30 AM, were picked up and transferred to the ship docked in San Juan, dropped with our luggage and left there with no food, water, bathroom, chairs, shade or any assistance for 5 hours. Our luggage was unsecured so our group of 13 or so people took turns keeping an eye on all of our luggage while we ventured out in search of bathrooms, etc. After hours of terrible or no communication, we finally boarded at 11am - and proceeded to have a wonderful cruise. If only we had been given accurate information about boarding, I would have made plans ahead of time (I am a big planner). I think Viking should have had a group area at a local hotel so we could have access to a bathroom, water, something to eat, a place to rest - Viking booked us all to come in that early. At least they should have given me accurate information so I could have planned for place to hang out for the morning (and I would have been fine with that). We could not arrive a day early as our air was included and booked by Viking. After much ado, we were given a small OBC (which I was fine with). After our return, we were contacted by Viking customer service and, after discussing our experience, given a larger credit towards a future cruise - which we have happily booked.

So, all's well that ends well but better communication from Viking would have prevented the whole painful start of the cruise.

Here is what I understand now: If you are embarking on an ocean cruise from an American port, the rules are different than ports in other countries and/or river cruises. The debarking and embarking cruisers WILL NOT be allowed to 'mix'.

Debarkation will be completed before embarkation begins and the company will NOT take you (and probably not your luggage) early. EMBARKATION WAS 11 AM AND THE PORT AUTHORITIES WILL ENFORCE THE RULES.

Sorry, I don't know about Miami but I would make plans to have some place to hang out until embarkation.

Dear OnTheWater50,

We’re disappointed that your transfer experience did not reflect the service and comfort you had on the remainder of your cruise.

Although changes have been made to this process since you sailed with us in January, we appreciate you sharing your experience and hope we’ve been successful in resolving your concerns through our onboard and post-cruise conversations.

We are thrilled to hear that, despite the initial hiccup, this cruise unfolded to become of your favorite vacations ever, but want to take a moment to remind you that you are always welcome to share additional feedback with us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

You’re a valued member of the Viking family, OnTheWater50, and we’re looking forward to seeing you on your next cruise with us.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Hi all, I am the OP. Let me start by saying our Viking Ocean cruise was one of our favorite vacations ever - and we have another one booked. HOWEVER - we did arrive around 5:30 AM, were picked up and transferred to the ship docked in San Juan, dropped with our luggage and left there with no food, water, bathroom, chairs, shade or any assistance for 5 hours. Our luggage was unsecured so our group of 13 or so people took turns keeping an eye on all of our luggage while we ventured out in search of bathrooms, etc. After hours of terrible or no communication, we finally boarded at 11am - and proceeded to have a wonderful cruise. If only we had been given accurate information about boarding, I would have made plans ahead of time (I am a big planner). I think Viking should have had a group area at a local hotel so we could have access to a bathroom, water, something to eat, a place to rest - Viking booked us all to come in that early. At least they should have given me accurate information so I could have planned for place to hang out for the morning (and I would have been fine with that). We could not arrive a day early as our air was included and booked by Viking. After much ado, we were given a small OBC (which I was fine with). After our return, we were contacted by Viking customer service and, after discussing our experience, given a larger credit towards a future cruise - which we have happily booked.

So, all's well that ends well but better communication from Viking would have prevented the whole painful start of the cruise.

Here is what I understand now: If you are embarking on an ocean cruise from an American port, the rules are different than ports in other countries and/or river cruises. The debarking and embarking cruisers WILL NOT be allowed to 'mix'.

Debarkation will be completed before embarkation begins and the company will NOT take you (and probably not your luggage) early. EMBARKATION WAS 11 AM AND THE PORT AUTHORITIES WILL ENFORCE THE RULES.

Sorry, I don't know about Miami but I would make plans to have some place to hang out until embarkation.

I have to agree with post above. We arrived early in San Juan for our cruise over Christmas 2016. When we arrived at the ship we were told it would be about 10 or 11 o'clock before we could board. It was 6:00 am! We sat in the park next to the port for a few hours. Unfortunately it then started raining. Not fun. We turned our luggage in at 10 and boarded at 11. I am glad to hear that Viking has made improvements to this. We did indeed love this cruise and currently have 2 more Viking cruises booked for next year.

I'm so glad we are flying in a day early! We will have a leisurely breakfast at our hotel, then grab a taxi to the ship around noon! I don't understand why people fly in the same day. So many things can go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums