Would love to see New Caribbean Itineraries

CrTrav74

Every place can be best to visit by more than a day trip.

Having lived on my sailboat throughout the Caribbean and many other places I'd argue the best way of visiting a new place it isn't by a land trip, but by immersing yourself into it. Try it on your own yacht, staying for months when you feel like it.

It's not the same as a cruise is it? So what. :cool:

358qade.jpg

That's not true, there's some places well suited for a day trip. What difference does it make whether you arrive a place on a yacht or fly there? We're talking about visiting a place, not the mode of travel to get there. I can fly somewhere and spend months too and immerse myself. I have a job though, like most people.

That's not true, there's some places well suited for a day trip. What difference does it make whether you arrive a place on a yacht or fly there? We're talking about visiting a place, not the mode of travel to get there. I can fly somewhere and spend months too and immerse myself. I have a job though, like most people.

Actually you said it your self or did I misread? :confused:

Cruise ships don't stop at the better islands, although that's subjective and my opinion, but the quiet, less touristed islands I've always enjoyed more and been to almost every Caribbean island. Favorites have been Montserrat, Nevis, Saba, Culebra, Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Tobago, San Andres, Bocas del Toro, Eleuthera and Guadeloupe and Martinique those cruise ships do stop at the latter two but less frequently.

Been to them all too and dozens more many many with no inhabitants / airstrip. Gotta have a boat available and when you spent the day slogging to Conception, Los Testegos, Cayo Herendura or others, you're staying a few days min. :D

uadzc.jpg

vpgewl.jpg

nmzr7r.jpg

352lrg2.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Wow! This turned into a regular ole Celebrity thread rather quickly. :eek:

We have picked our last 2 and next cruise for the max number of sea day's.

Ya been on a caterman snorkeling a dozen time, even in different country's, well, just a relaxing float around the sea has become really nice.

But as said, we all have different wants from a vacation.

EW

Now I'm totally confused :confused:! I said that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Panama Canal from Colon, and yet I'm 'happy as a clam' at what I find nearby :eek:. I'm sure many thousands of people find the Panama Canal locks interesting, but hey, sounds like I'm in the minority :rolleyes:. As I said in my post, if one is referring to the port areas alone, then there are many that are not too appealing, even in Europe.

FWIW, we're visiting Asia very shortly and most of the places of interest are at least 90 minutes away from the ports - guess I'd better cancel all of our private excursions if I obviously only look at nearby places :rolleyes:.

That's right, you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Panama Canal and seeing wildlife, including sloths in Puerto Limon.....maybe, just maybe bhpman didn't find those limited options as thrilling. The canal visitor center is interesting, its touristy, somewhere you go once, I've been there myself. But also had an apartment in the Casco Viejo for a few days, then flew to Bocas del Toro. Try not to confuse yourself and be so argumentative. All the best, have a great time in Asia and the private excursions too!

That's right, you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Panama Canal and seeing wildlife, including sloths in Puerto Limon.....maybe, just maybe bhpman didn't find those limited options as thrilling. The canal visitor center is interesting, its touristy, somewhere you go once, I've been there myself. But also had an apartment in the Casco Viejo for a few days, then flew to Bocas del Toro. Try not to confuse yourself and be so argumentative. All the best, have a great time in Asia and the private excursions too!

Suddenly those places that you recommended needing more than a day stay to enjoy, now have limited options? I'm obviously not the only one confused.

We make the most of every port we visit - one never knows if they will ever return ;).

Thanks, I'm sure exploring more of Asia will be great :).

Wallie,

You are correct, we all have different wants and needs from a cruise :).

Suddenly those places that you recommended needing more than a day stay to enjoy, now have limited options? I'm obviously not the only one confused.

Limited options relative to the port location. You have an average of about 8 hours. Are you going to feasibly be able to get from Puerto Limon to Manuel Antonio or Arenal or Monteverde and back in that time frame? Of course not. Your options are limited to what is doable within the time you have. Yes, you need more than a day in Panama and Costa Rica. But if you're satisfied with seeing the canal visitor center and some wildlife, including sloths then that's great too. I'm not sure why this is so confusing. But again, all the best and have a great Asia cruise! :)

You misinterpreted the point. Let me ask you this, when you arrive somewhere by yacht you dock or anchor and take a dinghy to shore to visit the place. Now you're on land are you not? You're not on your boat anymore are you?

You misinterpreted the point. Let me ask you this, when you arrive somewhere by yacht you dock or anchor and take a dinghy to shore to visit the place. Now you're on land are you not? You're not on your boat anymore are you?

Any the sea and reefs around are fantastic, you've arrived at a place no one sets foot on or you can only get there by yacht.

If you set your touring to land alone, you're missing 75% of the world. :)

I love cruising on Celebrity. I also ski, bike to work and have hobbies and interests beyond any one thing.

Back to the subject

Love to see more Caribbean ports for Celebrity because I prefer "X"

That's all. :D

31504ut.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Any the sea and reefs around are fantastic, you've arrived at a place no one sets foot on or you can only get there by yacht.

If you set your touring to land alone, you're missing 75% of the world. :)

I love cruising on Celebrity. I also ski, bike to work and have hobbies and interests beyond any one thing.

Back to the subject

Love to see more Caribbean ports for Celebrity because I prefer "X"

That's all. :D

31504ut.jpg

I've taken quite a few ocean crossings, those are my favorite. But seeing sights on land and experiencing different cultures is great too. Its all good. At any rate, happy travels and hope Celebrity adds some more ports to your liking. :)

Perhaps my views on Puerto Limon and Colon are a little jaded. On our stop is Puerto Limon, a passenger was shot at the entrance to the port and, the following week, a group of passengers were robbed at gunpoint while on a minivan albeit on a non-cruiseline excursion. One of the victims managed to kill one of the perpetrators and prevented further harm.

Our trip to Gatun Lake through the locks was very nice. Our rainforest trip to Puerto Limon was not. Add the crime in this high region to the list of things I would like to avoid. This is my opinion and it may differ from others. That's why some like vanilla ice cream and some like chocolate.

Perhaps my views on Puerto Limon and Colon are a little jaded. On our stop is Puerto Limon, a passenger was shot at the entrance to the port and, the following week, a group of passengers were robbed at gunpoint while on a minivan albeit on a non-cruiseline excursion. One of the victims managed to kill one of the perpetrators and prevented further harm.

Our trip to Gatun Lake through the locks was very nice. Our rainforest trip to Puerto Limon was not. Add the crime in this high region to the list of things I would like to avoid. This is my opinion and it may differ from others. That's why some like vanilla ice cream and some like chocolate.

Sorry to hear. Yes, that would be discouraging.

Yes, I can understand why it has deterred you from visiting. Thank you for replying as you highlight my point exactly: what is a horrible port visit to some, can be a totally different experience for someone else ;). My DH was shocked how much Belize had changed since he was stationed there. I notice that has also been removed from some itineraries. Colon was one of the reasons we booked that particular itinerary, primarily to visit the locks (both old and new); the day there was very interesting :).

Villauk,

Noticed your Asia cruise starts in Hong Kong. Not sure how much time you have before embarking but there's an interesting village worth visiting. Its called Tai O on Lantau island, its the last remaining stilted fishing village. Its gotten a bit touristy in recent years but still a great visit. About a 40 minute cab ride from Hong Kong airport or from downtown Hong Kong about 2 hours or there's a bus, but I think that would take much longer. Or stay in the village, we stayed at a small B&B, just two rooms. There's another hotel in the area as well.

Been to them all too and dozens more many many with no inhabitants / airstrip. Gotta have a boat available and when you spent the day slogging to Conception, Los Testegos, Cayo Herendura or others, you're staying a few days min. :D

uadzc.jpg

vpgewl.jpg

nmzr7r.jpg

352lrg2.jpg

Great pictures. Love the airplane one. No caption needed for his (your) thoughts at that moment, ;o)

Villauk,

Noticed your Asia cruise starts in Hong Kong. Not sure how much time you have before embarking but there's an interesting village worth visiting. Its called Tai O on Lantau island, its the last remaining stilted fishing village. Its gotten a bit touristy in recent years but still a great visit. About a 40 minute cab ride from Hong Kong airport or from downtown Hong Kong about 2 hours or there's a bus, but I think that would take much longer. Or stay in the village, we stayed at a small B&B, just two rooms. There's another hotel in the area as well.

Thank you for the recommendation. We have three and a half days in Hong Kong and plan to see as much as we possibly can ;).

I realize that some people have complaints about certain islands and ports, but I find it amusing that some people expressed opinions that some islands were worthless while I loved those places. Likewise I read some comments about people loving some islands that we thought were terrible.

So this is a good time to point out that not everyone has the same desires and the same thoughts about different islands. Variety is the spice of life. When we've picked an itinerary that stops at an island we don't enjoy we just make it an extra day on the ship which is just fine for us.

Unfortunately, we've not been able to cruise lately which is why don't contribute to these boards as often as in the past, but I do agree that a little more variety would be nice should our frequent cruising resume. Islands infrequently stopped at which I'd be interested in getting to more often include Tortola, Labadee and Bonaire.

I realize that some people have complaints about certain islands and ports, but I find it amusing that some people expressed opinions that some islands were worthless while I loved those places. Likewise I read some comments about people loving some islands that we thought were terrible.

So this is a good time to point out that not everyone has the same desires and the same thoughts about different islands. Variety is the spice of life. When we've picked an itinerary that stops at an island we don't enjoy we just make it an extra day on the ship which is just fine for us.

Unfortunately, we've not been able to cruise lately which is why don't contribute to these boards as often as in the past, but I do agree that a little more variety would be nice should our frequent cruising resume. Islands infrequently stopped at which I'd be interested in getting to more often include Tortola, Labadee and Bonaire.

Agree. Exactly why we would never book a Cruise based on someone's opinion here on CC of a Cruise line, ship or itinerary. Everyone is entitled to their onion and the right to post it. There is a lot of good info shared on CC but also a lot of info that falls into the to each their own category.

Maybe I'm the odd duck here (and I don't mind), but I'd be thrilled if Celebrity either did a cruise to nowhere at a reduced price because no port fees/less fuel, or even a cruise with a couple of days at Labadee, which is my favourite port. We always book a cabana there and it's a wonderful lazy day- and I have my own cabana attendant to keep me in drinks :)

I've been to most of the Caribbean ports by now and while I still enjoy them, the allure for me is the ship. Where I happen to stop is incidental and the ports make up approximately zero of my decision for which cruise to take. At this time, it's mostly ship, price, and length of sailing. I love Silhouette and Reflection but 7 night sailings at premium prices do not appeal to me.