Is NCL enforcing no water or soda carry on?

WWLL

So the policy designed to reduce the amount of time security takes to screen passengers is resulting in increased time for security to screen passengers? That's funny.

Anyone who believes that this policy is for the convenience of passengers drinks too much kool aid. We all know why the policy change happened. NCL did the math and found it cost them X dollars in lost soft drink and water and sales. The extra screening costs Y dollars. As long as X>Y, the policy stands. The only effective push back would be to not purchase any water or soda on board, decreasing X to the point that Y is greater.

Can I bring empty water bottles and/or covered cups? I drink a lot of water and would be fine with just refilling the ship's water as it is fine with me; I'd just buy water, but the prices are ridiculous.

The bottled water prices are the part of the policy change that honks me off. Nothing but Del Rio price gouging!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Anyone who believes that this policy is for the convenience of passengers drinks too much kool aid. We all know why the policy change happened. NCL did the math and found it cost them X dollars in lost soft drink and water and sales. The extra screening costs Y dollars. As long as X>Y, the policy stands. The only effective push back would be to not purchase any water or soda on board, decreasing X to the point that Y is greater.

I most definitely agree that this had nothing to do with security but with NCL's bottom line, that's why it's so darn funny.

Edited by sparks1093

Evidently the "best practices" do not extend to all of the NCLH brands. My parents just wrapped a Regent cruise and my in-laws were on Oceania last month. Both were puzzled when I asked if they had carried any water or soda bottles onto the ships when returning from port excursions. They said of course they did - and so did loads of people around them. My mom asked me why would I think they would make us dump a partial small bottle of perfectly good water just to walk on the ship. I had to lol. So what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander as far as NCLH is concerned. Completely undercuts the security explanation, imho.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regent and Oceania ships have like 600 passengers to screen, so the security resources required are not on the same scale as NCL.

I'm not saying that NCL's policy was not motivated primarily by money, but the comparison with other Del Rio brands doesn't invalidate the security argument.

I drink a lot of water and having to go to the buffet every time I want to fill up a water bottle is a major hassle. Even more disappointing is that water isn't included in the "Unlimited Open Bar" package. Actually considering a different line because of this.

They're doing it so they don't have to deal with all the recycling. They don't want you drinking bottled water period. Hence the astronomical prices of their own bottled water. They spent million on their water filtration, they want you to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

I drink a lot of water and having to go to the buffet every time I want to fill up a water bottle is a major hassle. Even more disappointing is that water isn't included in the "Unlimited Open Bar" package. Actually considering a different line because of this.

Not to defend NCL, but wouldn't you have to go SOMEWHERE to get your water regardless, or did you carry gallons around the ship with you?

Not to defend NCL, but wouldn't you have to go SOMEWHERE to get your water regardless, or did you carry gallons around the ship with you?

Good question. With X, bottled water is included in their drink package so it was easy to go to the bar to get a bottle whenever. With NCL, we'd bring a case of bottled water onboard and tend to take enough trips back to the room for various reasons that I never had to make a dedicated water trip.

They're doing it so they don't have to deal with all the recycling. They don't want you drinking bottled water period. Hence the astronomical prices of their own bottled water. They spent million on their water filtration, they want you to use it.

Nope, they're doing it to increase onboard sales of water and soda. Their water filtration system is standard equipment for ships since they are required to make their own fresh water.

So only NCL cares about recycling? Not Regent and not Oceania?? Also they have no concern for the recycling of wine bottles that they charge a corkage fee for you to bring on board.

I don't believe it is to prevent smuggling of alcohol on board either. The UBP has been on offer as a booking perk for just about two years. I believe most serious drinkers have this package.

And what about non water beverages like canned sodas? It would be very difficult to smuggle this way and for recycling purposes this container would be much easier and efficient to dispose of than one of those wine bottles.

I am definitely in the camp of it being all about profit for NCL.

Rochelle

That and the exclusion of coffee has stopped me from booking several times. You could always order a drink on the Beverage package (alcoholic and expensive) every time you pay for a water or coffee and not drink it. Probably could do 2 each time.

Just back from our Getaway cruise, and definitely no water or soda allowed on board!

I just returned from the Getaway today and experienced the opposite. We had brought 2 empty water bottles onboard. We would fill them the night before our port stop and put in the "beach towel" bag.

On 2 different Port Returns, I had forgotten to empty the bottles. They were in the bag, went through the scanner, I got to cabin and realized they were still full.

So is the rule STRICTLY Enforced, I'd have to say NO, but did I see lots of bottles, yes.

The water I brought back on board was actually the same tap water I left with, Maybe there is some secret detection that told them it was NCL water, so they didn't make me dump it out. Just being funny if you didn't get that

That and the exclusion of coffee has stopped me from booking several times. You could always order a drink on the Beverage package (alcoholic and expensive) every time you pay for a water or coffee and not drink it. Probably could do 2 each time.

Seriously???? Childish behavior

Instead of wasting those expensive alcoholic beverages, you could always pour the contents all over the computers in the internet café and photo gallery, and then take the empty glasses up to the pool deck and smash them all over the floor and into the pools and hot tubs. That would really get them back for not giving you free coffee and water, right?