So many ports - tell me it's not crazy

me-shel

We just settled on a cruise for next year with a small group (9 people, 4 rooms) and the majority vote went to an itinerary with 5 ports in 7 days. Somebody tell me this is actually a FUN thing to do??

My daughter keeps reminding me I don't even have to get off the ship at all of them, but I guarantee you if I have a chance to explore a new destination I'll definitely be off that ship!! :D

Leaving San Juan, it will be:

- St. Thomas

- Sea Day

- Barbados

- St. Lucia

- St. Kitts

- St. Maarten

- Back to San Juan

How do you pace yourself on something like this? I've got a year to overthink it now - I'd like to know I'm just worrying for nothing.

We did an 11 days Journeys cruise last fall with 9 ports. Nope, not happening again in my lifetime!

I missed St. Lucia - I was just simply worn out and had to have a day of rest. My DH did go onshore and got a drink at one of the bars, I just stayed onboard. I've done an 8 day with three sea days and it was just about perfect. I've done a 7 day with three sea days too and I'm not considering anything less than three sea days in the future. Ever!

I haven't done this itinerary but this past summer we did the Carnival Vista Mediterranean cruise - 10 days, 7 ports. Since we had never been to any of these ports we weren't about to take a port day as a "sea" day, but we did do some research ahead of time to pick a couple of ports where we could do shorter tours and be back aboard earlier. Even so, by the time we reached our last port our youngest son was in full rebellion - "can't we just stay on the ship?" Uh no - we already paid for the tour.;)

I did this itinerary and it was one of my favorite cruises. You can relax at a beach or take a tour. Each place is unique! Just pace yourself. My favorites - a beachclub at Barbados and the day trip we took on a small boat around St. Lucia. I would do this trip again in a heart beat! Enjoy.

We did this itinerary back to back last year so 10 port days plus San Juan in between. We loved it! I'm not a big fan of sea days because I would rather be exploring. To me it depends on what youre planning on doing. We did a combination of tours, beach days, and one Carnival ziplining excursion. Don't try to do too much each day by trying to see everything. Research the ports ahead of time and decide what is the most important thing to see and do. Do you like to hang out at the beach? Visit museums? Look at architecture? Sight seeing? Shopping?

You will have a great time! Just try to plan as many details as possible ahead of time and then just enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We also took the Journey cruise last year to the southern Caribbean and did 9 ports in 11 days. Best cruise ever!!! Just plan ahead of time. Pick the best snorkeling port, the safest zip line port, etc. if you have a plan and pre purchase your excursions ahead of time all you have to do is look in your handy dandy notebook and see what the next day's plan is and dress accordingly!!! Use Trip Advisor and other resources for locating reputable tour agents.

My notebook holds page protectors with each day/port listed. Inside I place any excursion tickets, free drink tickets printed off of island bar's websites, etc. Since we cruised with elderly first time cruisers I printed out the day's itinerary and included what to wear and how much money to bring. (Some tours include a lunch and some didn't.)

Vacation planning is work but once the planning is over you are rewarded with a stress free vacay!!!

We just did this cruise in August (plus three days pre-cruise in Puerto Rico) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The ports are all lovely. My kids are 8, 10 and 12 and they enjoyed it as well, with no complaints.

As others have said, if you don't want to visit all the ports, create your own second sea day. Honestly, I wouldn't want to miss any of them, but we cruise for the ports.

How do you pace yourself on something like this? I've got a year to overthink it now - I'd like to know I'm just worrying for nothing.

We did the similar itinerary last year, and we just had a 7-day cruise last week also with just 1 sea day.

We enjoyed both. So no worries.

We have done this itinerary and [emoji171] it. Everyone is different, though. If you are concerned about being worn out perhaps don't book your excursions in advance. Do your homework so you have an idea of what you would like to do at each port, but if not booked in advance you can change plans if you find you are doing too much. Now some excursions you have to book in advance or they sell out, but just an idea....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think the key to your answer has been suggested by the responses so far, if not stated in so many words -- what do you prefer when you cruise: busy, active days which require a recuperation period when you get home :rolleyes:, or a relaxing experience that brings you home rested and refreshed? :cool:

And next: are you a high energy or low energy person? Do you thrive on being busy and feel drained or bored when inactive? Or do you relish kicking back and having the freedom to do absolutely nothing?

On your previous cruises, have you enjoyed all there is to do onboard ship and felt you could keep going back for more, or was the ship mostly a means of transportation to get to your true destinations, the ports?

You have already said you would not feel comfortable being in port without getting off the ship and seeing something; are you a person who is comfortable going on your own in port or do you only choose ship excursions? Are you comfortable with not knowing until you get onboard what it is you will do in each port, or would not planning ahead make you nervous?

Answering all these questions might help you get an idea of whether this action-packed itinerary will suit you. Ultimately, if the decision to take this cruise has already been made by your group, I guess you are going whether it suits you or not! So then the question may be, how much freedom will you have to choose what you do in each port, or will everyone insist on doing everything together? Who in your group makes these decisions? Will your input be heard?

Hope the year you have to think about this gives you plenty of time to plan your cruise exactly the way you want it!

I did that cruise a couple years ago. I thought that maybe it was too many port days. Thought that maybe I would stay on the ship some days. Turns out that most days were get a cab at the port and go be a beach bum for a day, St Lucia was a tour that included a stop at a secluded beach on the way back. I would do this again in a heart beat.Just talking about it is making me want to go.:mad:

I would love to do this itinerary if it was on a different ship.

To pace yourself plan a couple of half days only. Then you can go back to the ship for a late lunch and relax while many people are still away. This worked great for us on the Vista when we had 8 ports/1 sea day.