NYC to Southampton Question

Minnie29

If I wanted to Fly to NYC booking the flight myself with Virgin have a 5-6 night stay in NYC then cruise back on QM2 how do I go about booking and what does the Cunard price include?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Would prefer to book flight independently as have lots of air miles to use and always fly Virgin?

Thank you

If I wanted to Fly to NYC booking the flight myself with Virgin have a 5-6 night stay in NYC then cruise back on QM2 how do I go about booking and what does the Cunard price include?

Would prefer to book flight independently as have lots of air miles to use and always fly Virgin?

Thank you

Booking with Cunard for a Transatlantic the price usually includes the flight, with either Virgin/Delta, BA or Norwegian. You are able to extend your flight either direction, without using Cunards Hotels which are excessively expensive.. It is also possible to try and specify which airline you would prefer, (If Cunard are using them)

Obviously if you are flying out days before return crossing and not using their hotels then you would be responsible for you own transfers.

You would have to speak with an agent for this.

see

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cunard-experience/why-cunard/whats-included/

It is very rare to get a price reduction for not using Cunard's Flight option here in the UK. Even when booking solo.

Arranging your own flights

Cunard state here in UK, "You have chosen to arrange your own flights and transfers for your party. This does not affect the total price. Select 'Continue without Flights' to confirm your choice"

and

Arranging your own flights

"You can choose to make your own way if you prefer. If you choose the cruise-only option, any flights you take will not form part of the package provided by us and will not be covered by our ATOL protection. You will also need to ensure that you leave sufficient time in each case to reach the ship at least two hours before the departure time stated on your tickets, as we're unable to delay sailing for independent travellers."

Why not talk to a Travel agent or Cunard Direct. If you manage to arrange a Virgin Flight with Cunard, then use your miles to try and upgrade.

Edited by Pennbank

No problem, you just book your voyage in the usual way and advise the booking agent that you will not be using the flight. You don't really save that much by not taking the full Cunard package, which usually includes the flight & transfers. I've done this sort thing occasionally and if I remember, I think I was awarded about £150 discount.

You will of course be responsible for your own transfers to the ship in Brooklyn.

So could I specify that I want a Virgin flight or do you just get what is available and can you say that you want to spend a week in NYC sightseeing before cruising back?

How does that work?

Yes you could if Cunard are using flights with that airline,, Speak with a Cunard or Travel agent. They obviously would need a date for your flight. Cunard agents are very helpful and so to are their flights department,

Cunard/ TA would book your flight and Ship accommodation and you would arrange your Hotel and transfers.

Edited by Pennbank

You can just deselect the flight option if you book online.

I've just tried it on Cunard's website and it works. I went through a dummy booking for the next New York to Southampton crossing. Eventually you get to the flights section. I selected "arrange your own flights" and it said the price would be reduced by £480 (for a party of 2).

So for the balcony I selected, it was £1998 for 2, after I'd removed the flight option is was £1518.

Simples.

We cruised back in July on QM2 after spending time in the USA including some days in New York so we just asked a couple of travel agents to book the cruise for us. We arranged all our transport and hotels in the US, including NY. We prefer to make our own choices and there are amazing deals to be had if cost is an issue.

Edited by tartanexile81

Why not talk to a Travel agent or Cunard Direct. If you manage to arrange a Virgin Flight with Cunard, then use your miles to try and upgrade.

If you were to go this route, you may want to check with Virgin as some airlines have restrictions with upgrades and what type of fares can be upgraded. Sometimes bundled or contracted airfares cannot be upgraded.

You can just deselect the flight option if you book online.

I've just tried it on Cunard's website and it works. I went through a dummy booking for the next New York to Southampton crossing. Eventually you get to the flights section. I selected "arrange your own flights" and it said the price would be reduced by £480 (for a party of 2).

So for the balcony I selected, it was £1998 for 2, after I'd removed the flight option is was £1518.

Simples.

You do get a discount sometimes when you book the more expensive "Cunard" Fare, however

When booking the" Saver fare" the discount does not work, The saver fare when booking solo even with paying the full flights usually is the cheaper option.

Edited by Pennbank

You do get a discount sometimes when you book the more expensive "Cunard" Fare, however

When booking the" Saver fare" the discount does not work, The saver fare when booking solo even with paying the full flights usually is the cheaper option.

You are correct, I've just tried it.

So a reasonable reduction in price for no flights on the Cunard Fare but no reduction in price for no flights on the Save Fare.

I have been looking at an Early Saver fare, and don't expect a price reduction for booking my own flight( using miles) However, when I select the cruise only button, the Saver fare disappears altogether!

Edited by cruiseluvva

It is very rare to get a price reduction for not using Cunard's Flight option here in the UK. Even when booking solo.

This is not my experience and having just done a mock booking there was a £480 saving (two people) for not booking flights with Cunard on an Eastbound TA.

What is evident however is that Cunard flight arrangements are good value and some of their upgrade prices are excellent.

This is not my experience and having just done a mock booking there was a £480 saving (two people) for not booking flights with Cunard on an Eastbound TA.

What is evident however is that Cunard flight arrangements are good value and some of their upgrade prices are excellent.

Should have said this relates to the Cunard fare.

We booked a transatlantic with Cunard preceded by a few days in Niagara and then taking a train to NY to spend a few more days......we were able to book the flight with Cunard, they gave us options on hotels as well but we saved quite a lot of money by booking the same hotels directly......it was a great trip

Minnie29

I am in the process of booking the type of trip you are looking for, we intend flying from Glasgow to NYC having a few days there and then sailing home on Queen Mary 2 we have priced both the Cunard Package and a package arranged by our usual cruise Travel Agent.

The Travel Agent package is a good bit cheaper than Cunard and we have priced our transfers which are very resonable.

We intend to travel in October next year.

Hope this info is useful to, do enjoy your trip.

Thank you

I always book all my cruises as "Cruise only". I never use the Cunard flights as I used to work for an airline and use my staff concessions. No problem whatsoever. Even if you go on to the Cunard website to book it say "Do you want to book cruise only". Good luck and have a great cruise.

Minnie29, if you hurry you might book a QM2 eastbound transatlantic crossing, New York/Red Hook to Soton, 12 November or 08 December. My email had "Fall Savings" starting at $599 pp for Inside. As a Single you'd pay $1200. plus a little more for port taxes, fees, etc. They're always extra. For a Queens Grill Single stateroom you could easily do it for just under $6,000. You don't need air, you don't need transfers. All you really need is a Cunard transatlantic eastbound ticket at a good price. Check Cunard, one passage, check same passage booked with a local travel agent, it could be a bit lower. Your booking a Virgin flight to America needn't have anything to do with Cunard. Book yourself a hotel; again you might find a Virgin connection and a good rate. In a hotel, you taxi to Red Hook, maybe $40 tops, tip included. One caveat … a good hotel concierge should know to assure the taxi driver knows where Red Hook is. Some drivers are new or dense. If you hail a cab from a taxi line out front, before you get in ask if he knows where Red hook is, has been to the Queen Mary 2 . You don't want to be trapped in a taxi looking all around Brooklyn to get someplace he has never been. It does happen, not a fun way to begin a crossing. Just pass that cab by until you get a driver knows what he's doing.

Thank you

I don't know if this will help you, I am from USA and just booked a transatlantic followed by a few days in London. My cruise fare did not include air return.

So, I searched several sites for the return air. FWIW far and away the best price was using Cunard's air program. I splurged and booked a premium class, and it was less than 25% of what British Airways quoted! To put it mildly, I was shocked at the price differential. The price for first class was almost reasonable booking using Cunard, and the res. agents were very helpful.

We are taking the New York to Southampton cruise on 15th June 2017 but will be staying with our daughter in LA prior to this. Cunard gave arranged our flight to them for 3rd June on air Newzealand which we asked for at a cheaper cost than if we had arranged it ourselves. The other advantage is that you only pay a deposit and not the total amount. Have done this before and it works just fine.