Just off the Vista....Pros and Cons list and anything else you want to ask

bassmaster150

I was on the Oct 1 cruise, now on the Oct 11 and will be on the TA. There was no Cheers packages offered on the Oct. 1 or Oct 11 cruises, plus no alcohol or cigs available in the shops. However, there has been no issue bringing whatever you want to drink on board, and that includes water.

I had forgot about my drink coupon on the Oct 1 cruise and Annamaria at Alchemy Bar asked if I had used it on the last night. She let me use it there, so if you have a fave bar or bartender, you might ask if you can use it.

I am waiting for the TA for all the activities that charge, since we have so many sea days, but I think there is a senior discount at the IMAX.

Debbie

I was on the Oct 1 cruise, now on the Oct 11 and will be on the TA. There was no Cheers packages offered on the Oct. 1 or Oct 11 cruises, plus no alcohol or cigs available in the shops. However, there has been no issue bringing whatever you want to drink on board, and that includes water.

I had forgot about my drink coupon on the Oct 1 cruise and Annamaria at Alchemy Bar asked if I had used it on the last night. She let me use it there, so if you have a fave bar or bartender, you might ask if you can use it.

I am waiting for the TA for all the activities that charge, since we have so many sea days, but I think there is a senior discount at the IMAX.

Debbie

Since I have never cruised Europe is it common not to have alcohol and cigs available in the shops and the ability to bring drinks on board?

Since I have never cruised Europe is it common not to have alcohol and cigs available in the shops and the ability to bring drinks on board?

I've never heard of any European cruises not selling alcohol. As for bringing booze on, that depends on the cruise line. Some will confiscate until you disembark (if you get caught that is!) others are fine with it.

I have to agree with you on the Atrium.:mad:

We were planning DD's high school graduation cruise for next June, and was hell bent on the Vista. Once I started seeing pictures of the atrium ( I know, I know ) It's just an atrium, I just had no desire to go on that ship:D:D

Ended up booking Magic, and I cannot wait.:D

DH wanted Vista.

DD didn't care too much either way......

Not sure why they did the closed off look with that tube over the bar.

It's just UGLY!

Love the big open atriums on all of the ships. Breeze is our favorite!

I agree with you. We are going on the Vista for Christmas but even looking at the pictures, it looks very clausterphobic. (sorry for spelling) I LOVED the Breeze as well. May be my favorite ship.

I can't answer for other lines or other sailings. I think it might possibly have to do with all the confusion with the VAT tax. But they have not been available on the Oct 1 and Oct 11 sailings. I bet the onboard shops will be stocked again for the TA. As far as bringing alcohol on board, I'm not sure since this is my first Europe cruise.

Edited by crzndeb

I agree with you. We are going on the Vista for Christmas but even looking at the pictures, it looks very clausterphobic. (sorry for spelling) I LOVED the Breeze as well. May be my favorite ship.

One thing this ship is not is claustrophobic. Although not my favorite the atrium is ok. You will have a wonderful Xmas on a very beautiful ship!

One thing this ship is not is claustrophobic. Although not my favorite the atrium is ok. You will have a wonderful Xmas on a very beautiful ship!

Agreed...not Claustrophobic.....we just didn't like the color scheme. We are used to the more earth type tones like on the Princess ships.

Thanks very much for the comments. It does appear that Carnival has made a major mistake in regards to the MDR. The absence of tablecloths (American Experience?) may have saved Carnival some money, but has overall cheapened the appearance. In addition, was excited about the IMAX Theater until note was made of a surcharge. It does appear that every improvement comes with a surcharge. Will stick with Celebrity and Princess at this time. But again, thanks for the comments.

Even if you add on all the surcharges Carnival is still cheaper than Celebrity!

As someone who used to manage a movie theater, trust me when I say, Carnival is not making a dime on the IMAX. Since Carnival is showing brand new releases they are entering into a contract to show these movies and even though these movies are digital you are still paying a cost to the film studio to "rent" the film to show. Then the film studios expect a certain amount of the box office because that is how they make their money. Movie theaters are lucky if they make ten to twenty cents for every ticket they sell. So if Carnival is making anything off the IMAX and their projector is a certified Christie IMAX digital projector then that profit is going to maintain the projector. The Xenon bulbs in those things normally have to be changed every 500 to 1000 hours and those bulbs are not cheap.. if they use Christie brand bulbs you are talking about 1200 dollars a bulb if not more.

• 3 weeks later...

OP thanks for the post. I don't normally do the surcharge restaurants but my 45th bday will be a sea day, and I might just do it.

As for the charge for movies, I'll pay $12.50 for a movie at sea. I just hope I can stay awake!! My son and I love movies and spend a fortune on land for them so I can't imagine us being on the ship and not taking advantage of a movie. Do they have movie snacks or popcorn, is there a charge for that?

HI all!

I just returned from the Vista TA & LOVED it. If you like Breeze you should love Vista with its additions.

txhawk36 ~ there is free popcorn at the Red Frog Pub by the big screen outside. There is also pay flavoured popcorn up where the Thrill Theater & IMAX ones are.

BTW the short documentaries like "A Beautiful Planet 3-D" are $5.50. It was a great look at earth from space & showed what the astronauts deal with.

There are some pretty good free movies on the tv & some at a small charge.

The radio channel has pretty scenes, some like having your own aquarium in the cabin!

Be sure to have the Carnival Hub on your smart phone. I think it really enhances the cruise especially if you buy pictures. It's so handy to see them on your phone or tv screen.

dan-o 1 ~ on our cruise the IMAX theatre had shows starting at 4:00 pm or 6:30 depending on the ports as opposed to 11:00 am on sea days. Pick up a schedule showing all show times except those on the large outdoor screen.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

Even if you add on all the surcharges Carnival is still cheaper than Celebrity!

Not for my cruise. Priced out the Magic and the Celebrity Reflection. Cheapest balcony cabins. Magic was 2100. and Reflection was 2500. BUT Celebrity included a beverage package and 400. of OBC. Much better value on a nicer ship.

HI all!

I just returned from the Vista TA & LOVED it. If you like Breeze you should love Vista with its additions.

txhawk36 ~ there is free popcorn at the Red Frog Pub by the big screen outside. There is also pay flavoured popcorn up where the Thrill Theater & IMAX ones are.

BTW the short documentaries like "A Beautiful Planet 3-D" are $5.50. It was a great look at earth from space & showed what the astronauts deal with.

There are some pretty good free movies on the tv & some at a small charge.

The radio channel has pretty scenes, some like having your own aquarium in the cabin!

Be sure to have the Carnival Hub on your smart phone. I think it really enhances the cruise especially if you buy pictures. It's so handy to see them on your phone or tv screen.

dan-o 1 ~ on our cruise the IMAX theatre had shows starting at 4:00 pm or 6:30 depending on the ports as opposed to 11:00 am on sea days. Pick up a schedule showing all show times except those on the large outdoor screen.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

Agree with the call out on the HUB app on your phone...it really makes life on the ship easy

OP thanks for the post. I don't normally do the surcharge restaurants but my 45th bday will be a sea day, and I might just do it.

As for the charge for movies, I'll pay $12.50 for a movie at sea. I just hope I can stay awake!! My son and I love movies and spend a fortune on land for them so I can't imagine us being on the ship and not taking advantage of a movie. Do they have movie snacks or popcorn, is there a charge for that?

If you are only going to try one, make sure it is Farenheit 555. Totally worth the $35. We ate there three times on our cruise.