Fight times...please help

twinkletoes204

I apoligize ahead of time if this is a constantly repeated thread, bc I see how annoying that can get, but my computer is acting waaay too slow for me to search around.

My question is...

in terms of a flight home after the cruise, what is the best time to shoot for? Right now there is an 11:40 flight out of MIA and I am half tempted to take it. I was wondering if that was cutting it too close or should I consider the next flight out (3:30ish).

Prices are running a little below $200 (from PHL to MIA) and everyone EXCEPT my TA is telling me to book now. We don't sail till May, but if the price is right and the time is right...I'll just go for it.

If anyone can give me some advice...I'd greatly appreciate it. Being a newbie to cruising can be kinda tough.

Without knowing if you're sailing into Miami or Fort Lauderdale, and what cruiseline you're on (they all disembark at different speeds), and what time your ship is due to dock, there's no way your question can be answered.

Please provide more info, we'll do our best to assist!

In the Carnival brochures, it says to book outbound flights no earlier than 1pm.

The thing is, you don't know if there might be some type delay in returning to the homeport, or if there might be a customs delay, etc. I know one ship didn't even return to port recently until 11am. THAT would have posed a huge problem for you.

I would strongly suggest you take Carnival's word for it and book the later flight. No sense getting all stressed on your last day of the wonderful vacation!

Without knowing if you're sailing into Miami or Fort Lauderdale, and what cruiseline you're on (they all disembark at different speeds), and what time your ship is due to dock, there's no way your question can be answered.

Please provide more info, we'll do our best to assist!

Sorry about that. I forgot I was on a general board and not the Royal Caribbean one.

We will be sailing out of Miami on RCI's Navigator. On the itinerary, it says that on the last day we should be getting back to the port by 7:00 AM. So I can only assume disembarkation will begin shortly after that.

I guess another question I could add to the bunch I already have would be what the general likelihood is of getting an early color to depart the ship? I don't want to be jumping the gun bc it is so far away, but I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thank you so much for your help! This whole site has been wonderful!:)

You will have just spent a week kicking back, relaxing and winding down from your busy everyday life. Why ruin the end of your vacation worrying about making an early flight? Take the later flight, it gives you plenty of time to get to the airport, check your luggage, pass security and relax over lunch.

We learned on our first cruise that things can go wrong on disembarkation. We had a few non-US passengers who decided to sleep in that last day. As the immigration policy was to clear all non-US passengers first, the rest of us had to wait 2 1/2 hours before the cruise staff finally went down and woke them up. There were some frantic people on board who had early flights that they did not make because of this.

I guess another question I could add to the bunch I already have would be what the general likelihood is of getting an early color to depart the ship?

While on the ship, you will fill out a form that tells what time your flight is. This is what the pursers use to designate colors for disembarkation - the earlier the flight, the sooner your color will be called. I would guess that an 11:00 flight would be one of the earliest colors.

Regarding when you book your flight - I would do it asap. I have seen flights go up in price the last few weeks. Our friends' tickets to SJU have gone up over $100 pp since September.

Have a great cruise !

Take the later flight. 7 am is when the ship arrives at port, disembarking usually doesn't start until 8 am or after.

I missed an 11:40 flight in January coming off of Voyager (same ship as Navigator). If there are any kind of delays, such as ship being late to port, immigration delays, baggage delays, you will probably miss that flight.

In my case, there was only one seat available to get me home that day. If I had been traveling with somebody else, we would've been out of luck.

I was just on the Voyager a week ago and it was 3 hours late into port and then held up further at customs. We were supposed to dock at 6:30 but the boat was still moving when i was eating breakfast at 9:30am. I was one of the first ones off at noon.

Get the later flight.

Since you are flying from PHL check and see what prices are for flying into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) We were able to save over 100pp to fly into FLL instead of Miami. Even with buying a car service.

This cruise we are doing in February-- I was able to get good flights at great times but only by going one way tickets.. and getting them from the individual airlines.

By going to the online site the had the one flight for 264pp. By going to the individual airlines and buying one way I got my tickets for 123.00 total

I also could have taken a 12 or 4 oclock flight from Orlando and I picked the 4. I don't plan on rushing. My cruise is in January and I am in no hurry to get back to the cold. I plan on having a nice lunch at a resturant at the airport before our flight. My friends had a 4ish flight from Miami and they where at the airport early and they went to the desk at the hotel and arranged for a boat tour while they waited. The shuttle picked them up and dropped them off and they had a great time.

Thanks for all the imput...

I think I'll hold out for a later flight in the day. The last thing I want (and my bf wants) is to be stressed out for the last day and a half questioning whether we should have booked a later flight. Delaying the depressing trip home doesn't sound like such a bad idea either. :)

Thanks again! May couldn't come any slower...especially when the temp here is dropping so fast!

We just booked a flight at 11:45 out of Miami after our NCL cruise which is supposed to come into port by 7:00 am. We have been on many cruises and never have I had trouble getting to the airport in plenty of time. (of course, I know there is always a first time!) I am a bit nervous about it but, the price was too good to pass up. ~ Wish us luck!

Thanks for all the imput...

I think I'll hold out for a later flight in the day. The last thing I want (and my bf wants) is to be stressed out for the last day and a half questioning whether we should have booked a later flight. Delaying the depressing trip home doesn't sound like such a bad idea either. :)

Thanks again! May couldn't come any slower...especially when the temp here is dropping so fast!

Right answer! Book the sure thing then relax on the last day.

And if you get to the airport in time to check in for the 11:40AM flight, the airline might be willing to let you fly on that plane. Then again they might not.

Archived