Million dollar quartet

Could someone please tell me what this show is about? Hubby and I are disagreeing if we have seen this show in the past. Would just like to have heads up!

Million Dollar Quartet is about 4 early rock n' roll singers recording at a studio in Memphis. The singers are Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins.

Carl Perkins sang the original Blue Suede Shoes but Elvis made it popular. The music is really great if you like earl rock music, e.g., Walk the Line, Great Balls of Fire, etc.

A road show is now playing at Harrah's in Las Vegas. Tickets are pricey.

It's a great show, but one interesting thing is at the end of the show, they run a short black and white film strip of the actual artists, in the Sun recording studio, during the recording of the songs used in the stage play. Too cool;)

Damn - that sounds cool! I'd love to see that! Is that currently on the Epic at all?

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

It's a great show, but one interesting thing is at the end of the show, they run a short black and white film strip of the actual artists, in the Sun recording studio, during the recording of the songs used in the stage play. Too cool;)

I saw the show on the Escape when the ship first came out and thought it was amazing and loved that black and white film strip.

Last week I was on the Getaway. The show was very good, but at the end they only showed one snapshot picture of the 4 artists.

Not sure why they cut out the film part. I thought it was cool

I saw the show on the Escape when the ship first came out and thought it was amazing and loved that black and white film strip.

Last week I was on the Getaway. The show was very good, but at the end they only showed one snapshot picture of the 4 artists.

Probably another FDR budget cut!:rolleyes:

The play was first on the Escape and moved to the Getaway in May. My son, Kurt, is currently playing Carl Perkins in the show on the GA. Prior to that he was in the show for two years in Chicago.

I will check with him, but I do not think that there were any video recordings of the actual jam session on Dec. 4, 1956. It was an impromptu event. Sam Phillips turned on the tapes during the session, but no video. There is a CD you can buy of all the actual music made during the that session. I have heard it, it is really cool.

I have seen the show over 10 times between Chicago and the Getaway. What I remember is the famous picture of the artists by the piano with the actual music tapes playing in the background, then the stage artists recreate the picture. I have visited the actual Sun Record studios in Memphis which is still a recording studio as well as a museum. I have also read the book, entitled, Million Dollar Quartet, and no videos are mentioned.

The show is heavily copyrighted and I doubt FDR would change anything about it, especially since it is Norwegian's #1 show! (I think the poster was kidding tho) ;) I am so happy everyone has enjoyed the show! The actors sure are enjoying their contract!

We were on the first two cruises on the Escape out of Miami and I got to see the show twice and I really enjoyed the show. We are doing two cruises on the Getaway November 6 and 13 sailing and I have booked the show again and really looking forward to seeing it again. I was very glad to see NCL switched it to the Getaway. Helped make my decision to book the Getaway again knowing that the show was going to be moving there.

We were on the first two cruises on the Escape out of Miami and I got to see the show twice and I really enjoyed the show. We are doing two cruises on the Getaway November 6 and 13 sailing and I have booked the show again and really looking forward to seeing it again. I was very glad to see NCL switched it to the Getaway. Helped make my decision to book the Getaway again knowing that the show was going to be moving there.

That's awesome! You will get to see Kurt!

Looking forward to seeing Kurt. Actually I have it booked twice each week. Not sure I will make to the show all 4 times on the two cruises but I really like the show so it is possible. I hope to have the opportunity to talk with him. I did get to meet some of the members of the MDQ on the Escape.

Perhaps you already know this, but this is a different cast from the one on the Escape. Their contracts are for six months, so this is cast # 2. A different cast will get on December 4th. Kurt will stay on until December 11, but will be singer for Burn the Floor that week. The current cast can apply to get on again in May if it is mutually beneficial to them and NCL.

NCL has the contract for 2 more years so perhaps Kurt will get on again when the GA transitions to the Baltic. If he does, Northern Europe here we come!

I am sure if you are on the ship for 2 weeks, you will run into him somewhere. He has gotten used to folks from CC talking to him. He gets a kick out of it. Enjoy your cruises and enjoy the show!!

• 1 month later...

I got to see the MDQ 4 times over the back to back we did on the Getaway in November. Talked to Kurt for just a second one night about you on Cruise Critic. He did such a great job I decided I didn't really know anything about Carl Perkins but wanted to know more and last night on a local PBS station they showed on an old Carl Perkins and Friends concert from the mid 80's and it was very good. I wouldn't have watched it if I wasn't so impressed with your son's performance on the Getaway. Jerry Lee Lewis/Jared was pretty impressive also.

On the Escape Transatlantic, it was only a photo shown at the end, too. Not a filmstrip.

I got to see the MDQ 4 times over the back to back we did on the Getaway in November. Talked to Kurt for just a second one night about you on Cruise Critic. He did such a great job I decided I didn't really know anything about Carl Perkins but wanted to know more and last night on a local PBS station they showed on an old Carl Perkins and Friends concert from the mid 80's and it was very good. I wouldn't have watched it if I wasn't so impressed with your son's performance on the Getaway. Jerry Lee Lewis/Jared was pretty impressive also.

Wonderful! I did not know who Carl Perkins was either until Kurt got in this show. I have since learned more about him as well. I am so glad that this show gives him his due. There is a book called Million Dollar Quartet that came out several years ago that goes into detail about each person in the show, including Sam Phillips, as well as the development of the Broadway play.

This is this cast's last week ya'll! Their contract ends December 4th. They have done a great job IMHO and have had some once- in- a- life time experiences (such as three weeks in Rio for the Olympics)! They were voted the best NCL show at sea several times. They entertained literally thousands of people when you think about it.

My son is staying on one more week until Dec 11th to cover the male vocalist in Burn the Floor until the new guy arrives. Then home for Christmas for the first time in four years!! Yay!

God speed to the entire cast and best of luck in the future!! Who knows? Hopefully we will see them all again next year on the Getaway in the Baltic!! I am ready to book my next cruise there!! Happy Holidays everyone!

Edited by Seminole1975