Best Food ??? What ship???

ERsecurity

I have seen many quips in the threads saying the food on specific ships was 'not up to Princess quality'. Let's turn that around.

Which ship do you think has the best food?

I am recently off the Regal Princess and would have to rate both the dining room food and staff as 'Excellent'.

What are some others?

I have had very very consistent food quality on all the Princess ships I have been on. The only lapse in quality I can recall is the first Love Boat Dream I had while on the Golden. It wasn't that great. I tried that desert again on the Star and found it to be wonderful.

Food quality can vary quite a bit, depending on which Chef is aboard.

Regal has been high on our list - but I do think it is "luck of the draw". When we were last on Golden, it really was only "average".

Food is very subjective.

I've experienced food on the Grand, Coral, and Sun

Coral, by far, had the best food.

Sun, by far, had the worst.

The exact same dishes that I adored on Coral I could barely stomach on the Sun.

Pretty disappointing.

I'll be interested to see how the Sapphire rates :)

Only been on Celebrity once (Mercury, 3-04), and thought food in main dining room comparable to the best of Princess, with Mercury having slight edge on presentation and service.

We thought food in Lido slightly better on Princess.

Best food we've had on a cruise ship was Oceania's Regatta, this past August in the Baltic. We thought it better than Crystal.

Food ratings very subjective, I think.

We were on Celebrity Summit last year and by far they had the best pastry chef on any cruise line I have ever been on. He knew how to make croissants that flaked like in France especially the almond filled croissants which were to die for! All the other desserts were splendid and not just in looks but in taste. Princess pastries tend to look good but they tend to be lacking in sugar and butter and I've found caterers and chefs who were on board with us that also agreed with that assessment. However for overall food choice, quality and service I would choose Crystal. I just came back from their cruise in Oct and I had lobster in some form (appetizer, soup, salad, entree)everyday. It's got the best room service menu and they will cook you whatever is in their cruiseline cookbook and outside of it if you want something different. They will not do it right that evening, but it will be there for you and your tablemates the following evening. Next week we'll getting on the Tahitian Princess and it will be interesting to see how it compares.

Years back, McDonald's surpassed the US Army as the number 1 buyer of beef. Since that time I have ignored others opinions of food. Few could have even a remote clue in order for McD's to grow so large.

Those who complain about food on cruise ships must just want to complain.

First, there is always a wide variety of items on the menu.

Second, you can order as much or little as you want, and in any order.

Third, you can return any and all items and completely reorder if you so choose.

Forth, there is also the buffet and room service.

So anyone that does not eat to their own total satisfaction on a cruise [any line] is being unreasonably picky.

JMHO

Dan

We have to agree with Pam, also any meal you do not have to cook yourself or do the dishes after dinner and get waited on can not be that bad.

Good point! We were on the Golden and thought the food was awesome. Maybe we just picked the best entrees. Each night we would ask the staff for recommendations and they never steered us wrong!

Can't wait to go on the Star and see if I can find a "bad meal":D

Our first cruise was on the Grand and we LOVED the food. We took the kids on the NCL Spirit the next year. We thought the food was ok, not as good as Princess. However, our kids LOVED the NCL food. My son made the comment that it was great to have an opportunity to try new things risk-free. If you were paying in a restaraunt you might not be so adventerous.

All that said, I agree with the sentiments that there is always something for people to ear, stop being so picky.

Earlier in the week, a reviewer said that leg of lamb was served on the CB instead of rack of lamb. Has anyone else experienced this? Chef's Night has been one of our favorites because the rack of lamb that was to die for.

DH and I have been on four Princess cruises to date and have found the food quality to be consistent from ship to ship. Having cruised multiple times on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCI, we determined that Princess' food is equal to or better than these lines. There's always been something to our liking.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

HI CHRIS...just got off the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS and the STAR PRINCESS...back to back...no rack of lamb on either...except in the STERLING STEAKHOUSE.

PRINCESS food was good...I would give it a B rating. They do not know how to do Italian well...neither does CELEBRITY or RCL for that matter. Some of their Italian dishes are good some were not so good and none were excellent. There is plenty of beef but if you want a great meal onboard...go to STERLING STEAKHOUSE. This was one of the best meals we have had at sea.

CELEBRITY does do a better job with cuisine, both in the dining room and above in the food court...better variety and better quality. Food is subjective because we are talking shipping companies with 10 or 15 vessels each. At no time will you find all of the ships turning out consistently good food. The food quality can change abruptly from week to week. Celebrity still gets my vote for better food...generally speaking.

Cruissett (Nancy),

I have the Princess cookbook: Courses: A Culinary Journey. Might you be referring to "Seared Deep Sea Scallops"? If so, it is also among my Princess favorites, and I would be happy to post the recipe for you.

PS: Your user name made me think of "Cosette" in Les Miserables.

CGTNormandie,

I'm kinda bummed about rack of lamb being served only in Sterling Steakhouse and can't help wondering: What's up with this? Will Princess now begin to offer "upscale" cuisine only in its alternative dining venues while mediocre food is served in main dining rooms? DH and I don't base a cruise experience on food alone, but we'd be somewhat disappointed if Princess began to take this approach.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

:) Cruzinchris, That would be so great if you'd post the receipe. It was chopped up vegetables fried in olive oil and then the big scallops added at the end. The chef on the Golden made it at the cooking demo and it smelled sooooooooooo good. Then the last night it was on the menu and the taste was even better then the smell. Thank you so much, I'll be looking for your post.

Nancy

I haven't noticed much difference in "cruise food" or dining rooms. We've been on Princess, RCCL and Celebrity. A lot of people say the food on Celebrity is better.. but I didn't find that to be the case. A couple of nights I couldn't find anything on the dining room menu that interested me, and I had a heck of a time getting something different. They don't have the "always available" items like Princess, so I got a dry piece of grilled chicken. I will say, however, Celebrity seems to do a better presentation of their food on fomal nights - they really make it a special experience.

The chilled soups are great on Princess!

In terms of food preparation, service, and quality, the Tahitian Princess in October was the best we have experienced with Princess. The dinning operations were managed by a long time big hotel expert that kept things tightly managed and efficient.

Both Princess and Celebrity will custom prepare foods for specific dietary needs. Celebrity stands out for its speciality restaurants like the Normandie on the Summitt.

In the past, Celebrity dining was better than Princess by a fair amount, but our meals on the Tahitian Princess were better than our last five cruises, this year, with Celebrity.

Earlier in the week, a reviewer said that leg of lamb was served on the CB instead of rack of lamb. Has anyone else experienced this? Chef's Night has been one of our favorites because the rack of lamb that was to die for.

DH and I have been on four Princess cruises to date and have found the food quality to be consistent from ship to ship. Having cruised multiple times on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCI, we determined that Princess' food is equal to or better than these lines. There's always been something to our liking.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

We just got off theCaribbean Princess and were expecting the rack of lamb(small chops with the bone) instead it was slices of leg of lamb...but was still excellent..one of our favorite meals.

Archived