Dr Pepper onboard Liberty

hapster85

We were pleasantly surprised to find many of the bars onboard Liberty last week (October 9th sailing), serving both Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper, from 2 liter bottles, at no additional charge. Was this a fluke, or has it been going on for a while? I don't recall having heard mention of it before, but certainly possible I missed a thread.

Also observed a few people being given Coke and Diet Coke in cans, after they complained that the fountain offerings didn't taste right. My wife and I had both thought it tasted off on a few occasions, but that's often the case with fountain drinks, so we didn't really think much of it. The ones I saw weren't charged. That was more surprising than finding the bottles of Dr Pepper.

Hapster85 - the Liberty has been serving Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper since they came to Galveston. They were informed by the Navigator that Texas folks love the DP and DDP:D

I might have to start sailing out of Galveston. Anthem only had Dr Pepper in the Freestyle machines and they were out of the syrup our entire cruise :(

I might have to start sailing out of Galveston. Anthem only had Dr Pepper in the Freestyle machines and they were out of the syrup our entire cruise :(

Are you sure it wasn't Mr Pibb? DP is not a Coca Cola product. I'd be surprised that the syrup would be compatible with the freestyle machines.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Are you sure it wasn't Mr Pibb? DP is not a Coca Cola product. I'd be surprised that the syrup would be compatible with the freestyle machines.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yep, here in Georgia all of the Freestyle machines have DP & DDP with options to add vanilla or cherry to them.

I think Coke knows that most people way prefer DP to Mr. Pibb. One's a doctor and one's not! :D

Yep, here in Georgia all of the Freestyle machines have DP & DDP with options to add vanilla or cherry to them.

I think Coke knows that most people way prefer DP to Mr. Pibb. One's a doctor and one's not! :D

Yeah, definitely DP and it's been in all the Freestyle machines I've seen as well. Dr. Pepper isn't a Coke product, but I see it served a lot at restaurants that serve Coke products and whenever our local grocery store has a sale on Coke products DP is also on sale, so I imagine they have some sort of license or contract or something with Coke.

On our second cruise, the first with our 13 year old son, he found out he could ask for sodas at any of the bars (pool, inside, anywhere closest to where he was at the time) and not have to go to the Freestyle machines. He asked for Dr. Pepper and was always given one. Then we noticed a selection of soda cans on the shelf behind one of the bars and realized they also had Sprite Zero (hubby's soda of choice). Drinks were always in cans, never in bottles, that we received. Never hurts to ask.

Yeah, definitely DP and it's been in all the Freestyle machines I've seen as well. Dr. Pepper isn't a Coke product, but I see it served a lot at restaurants that serve Coke products and whenever our local grocery store has a sale on Coke products DP is also on sale, so I imagine they have some sort of license or contract or something with Coke.

Apparently it's a Regional thing.

Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper will be served instead of Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero in areas where Dr. Pepper is distributed by Coca-Cola bottlers.

According to Wikipedia, Coke and Pepsi each produce around 30% of DP, with 40% produced by independent bottlers.

I'm guessing that in the Houston area it is produced by Coke bottlers.

Dr Pepper is one of those odd drinks that shows up in various places that serve either brand of Coke or Pepsi. I've seen it at Arby's (Pepsi) & then at Burger King (Coke). Plus, I've read that its sold at PPG Paints Arena (Penguins home arena) in Pittsburgh, PA. They serve RC Cola products there, one of the only arenas that doesn't serve Coke or Pepsi products.

Hapster85 - the Liberty has been serving Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper since they came to Galveston. They were informed by the Navigator that Texas folks love the DP and DDP:D

It's very cool that they do that. We are always tickled when we find a restaurant that serves DDP, because there's often only one diet choice.

We were on Anthem in July and it was Mr Pibb and Mr Pibb Zero in the freestyle machines. And both selections were often out. It's an ok substitute for Dr Pepper, but still prefer the real thing.

Texan here. Can confirm.

Thats also why they serve Shiner beer and Tito's Vodka. Though Tito's has blown up nationwide as of late. Love me that liberty cruise from Galveston. I may take advantage when Vision spends some time in Galvy next fall.....

I just came off of the Liberty and I bought a canned DP at Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's. I also saw them at Ben & Jerry's.

I've bought them on previous cruises also. I even have a picture of pallets waiting to be loaded on the ship with cases of DP on the top.

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti

Yup. I was on the 9/22 Anthem sailing, out of syrup also in all of the machines. Love Diet Dr Pepper Cherry (or Pibb Zero Cherry!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

"Dr. Scholl makes foot products and he's a doctor, so he went to school for a long time. It doesn't take a lot to figure out that stepping on a cushion will be more comfortable. That guy wasted lots of time at school cuz I would've bought that (crap) from a Mr. Scholl or maybe even a Señor Scholl."

- Mitch Hedberg