Weather / excursion questions

J458r

Hello,

We are scheduled for our first ever cruise on carnival magic I January. We are scheduled to leave on January 21st and will be visiting belize , mahagony bay, cozumel and Costa maya.

Is anyone familiar with the weather in Mexico and Caribbean is like at the end of January?

And if we are looking to only due excursions at two of the ports which would you do ?

Any other info, ideas or thoughts on this cruise and or excursions/ports is appreciated!!

Hello,

We are scheduled for our first ever cruise on carnival magic I January. We are scheduled to leave on January 21st and will be visiting belize , mahagony bay, cozumel and Costa maya.

Is anyone familiar with the weather in Mexico and Caribbean is like at the end of January?

And if we are looking to only due excursions at two of the ports which would you do ?

Any other info, ideas or thoughts on this cruise and or excursions/ports is appreciated!!

It will be lovely in all the ports - 80's, but rain and showers are always possible but move away quickly generally; if the east coast is having a cold snap it could be in the 60's or even 50's leaving Orlando.

I would plan excursions in Belize (not much to do in a small port and it is very water oriented in excursions- though if you are into ruins, Altun Ha and River Walace are excursion). I would also book an independent island tour in Roatan (Victor Bodden, Island Marketing etc) as it is the most beautiful island but you have to get out to see it. Cozumel is very easy to take a cab to a beach and the same true in Costa Maya if you don't just want to stay at the port.

I was wondering what ports you would be visiting when I read your other thread.

Isla Roatan is beautiful, but there is a beach (Mahogany Bay) right at the dock area as well as ziplines & shopping. But to fully enjoy the beauty of Roatan, try a private tour guide as suggested above. With a larger group like yours, Victor Bodden can customize a private van type tour for you, very inexpensively & highly reputable.

Belize has several Mayan ruins & cave tubing seem to be what people enjoy or snorkeling. Belize is a tender port & not as easy to get away from "Tourism Village" (their tender dock) without a guide. We used cavetubingrus in September as our private tour guide. He has larger vans, able to accommodate several people. Other tour companies available here too. But IMO get a tour here. There is shopping in port area, but not much else to see.

Cozumel is easy to get a taxi to a beach or shopping. Also many private tour guides available with many options to choose from at the port.

Costa Maya is a bus ride to beaches & shopping. But there are several shops & a large pool at the port area. Here I would get a tour unless you just want a beach day.

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.

Hello,

I'm doing this same itinerary a few weeks before you... the weather looks like it will be nice, although there's the threat of weather. I read on other boards that Belize tends to get cancelled if there is weather, so we are definitely booking excursions there through Carnival because if cancelled (tenders are used) you get a refund.

Having been to Cozumel and stayed by the port, this time we are booking an excursion, I absolutely HATED the port there. It was the only port ever where I felt like my time was wasted and after wandering around a bit I just went back to the ship to wait for my family.

Hello,

We've been on your same itinerary in January several times and have always had great weather! Maybe a QUICK shower from time to time but nothing major at all.

Belize is the place we would definitely book an excursion!

There is a beach right at Mahogany Bay free for your use.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

We were there in FEB of this year. Mahogny Bay I highly recommend a private tour with Victor Bodden. We chose to go alone so there were two of us and it was $40 pp. If four I believe it would have dropped to $25. This was for an all day private tour. We had an AIR-CONDITIONED van with driver (Tex was great). Took a cab for $2 pp to meet the private tour pickup aera "just over the hill". Well worth that small cost. The cab pulled up to the Victor Bodden tour "check-in", gave our names and TEX was right there waiting. We had chosen what type things we wanted to do and added the boat ride through the mangrove tunnels which we enjoyed very much. Emails were promply answered and we knew in advance exactly how much our add-ons would be. Believe me, we covered tht island from one end to the other and side to side. We were returned all the way to the terminal. While a private tour can't pick up at the terminal, they can return you there. HIGHLY recommend Victor Bodden.

Belize I personally wouldn't do anything except a Carnival Tour. We had chosen the ruins and river tour. It was HOT, as in really HOT and were told the ruins would be hotter and very high humidity. Due to my medical limits it was recommend by the people doing the loading of buses that I not go. Carnival refunded our excursion fee and we happily stayed on the boat enjoying the less crowded boat.

It will be lovely in all the ports - 80's, but rain and showers are always possible but move away quickly generally; if the east coast is having a cold snap it could be in the 60's or even 50's leaving Orlando.

I would plan excursions in Belize (not much to do in a small port and it is very water oriented in excursions- though if you are into ruins, Altun Ha and River Walace are excursion). I would also book an independent island tour in Roatan (Victor Bodden, Island Marketing etc) as it is the most beautiful island but you have to get out to see it. Cozumel is very easy to take a cab to a beach and the same true in Costa Maya if you don't just want to stay at the port.

I wouldn't mind the occasional shower as long as it cleared up quickly lol !

I thought about the ruins but the bus ride is a major turn off for me. Honestly everything I've read has me terrified of belize !!

I am excited about roatan and would love to see the island.

We were thinking about doing an all inclusive excursion for cozumel. It had snorkeling , food , drinks and dolphin swimming.

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering what ports you would be visiting when I read your other thread.

Isla Roatan is beautiful, but there is a beach (Mahogany Bay) right at the dock area as well as ziplines & shopping. But to fully enjoy the beauty of Roatan, try a private tour guide as suggested above. With a larger group like yours, Victor Bodden can customize a private van type tour for you, very inexpensively & highly reputable.

Belize has several Mayan ruins & cave tubing seem to be what people enjoy or snorkeling. Belize is a tender port & not as easy to get away from "Tourism Village" (their tender dock) without a guide. We used cavetubingrus in September as our private tour guide. He has larger vans, able to accommodate several people. Other tour companies available here too. But IMO get a tour here. There is shopping in port area, but not much else to see.

Cozumel is easy to get a taxi to a beach or shopping. Also many private tour guides available with many options to choose from at the port.

Costa Maya is a bus ride to beaches & shopping. But there are several shops & a large pool at the port area. Here I would get a tour unless you just want a beach day.

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.

We did/are considering a cave tour but the reviews have been so mixed. Some people even saying after all the hiking it's only a 20 min float thru the cave:(

Love the private tour idea for Roatan. It makes me nervous since it's our first cruise to book outside the ship. Everything I've read said it's the companies job to make sure you're back in time so not to worry but I can't help it lol. Thank you for the info !

I'm doing this same itinerary a few weeks before you... the weather looks like it will be nice, although there's the threat of weather. I read on other boards that Belize tends to get cancelled if there is weather, so we are definitely booking excursions there through Carnival because if cancelled (tenders are used) you get a refund.

Having been to Cozumel and stayed by the port, this time we are booking an excursion, I absolutely HATED the port there. It was the only port ever where I felt like my time was wasted and after wandering around a bit I just went back to the ship to wait for my family.

I've read a lot about belize being cancelled so that's a good idea.

And I was most looking forward to Cozumel because it seemed like the safest port so I hope we find soemthing we like.

Thank you for the info !

Rain will not cancel any excursion....rain is usually fleeting...and it will still be warm! Now, lightening WILL cancel trips....and they will refund you money if there is an electric storm.

Fingers crossed for no electric storms!!

We've been on your same itinerary in January several times and have always had great weather! Maybe a QUICK shower from time to time but nothing major at all.

Belize is the place we would definitely book an excursion!

There is a beach right at Mahogany Bay free for your use.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

I'm so looking forward to the nice weather. We will be coming from pretty cold weather !

Love the idea of a free beach.

Thank you for the info !!

We were there in FEB of this year. Mahogny Bay I highly recommend a private tour with Victor Bodden. We chose to go alone so there were two of us and it was $40 pp. If four I believe it would have dropped to $25. This was for an all day private tour. We had an AIR-CONDITIONED van with driver (Tex was great). Took a cab for $2 pp to meet the private tour pickup aera "just over the hill". Well worth that small cost. The cab pulled up to the Victor Bodden tour "check-in", gave our names and TEX was right there waiting. We had chosen what type things we wanted to do and added the boat ride through the mangrove tunnels which we enjoyed very much. Emails were promply answered and we knew in advance exactly how much our add-ons would be. Believe me, we covered tht island from one end to the other and side to side. We were returned all the way to the terminal. While a private tour can't pick up at the terminal, they can return you there. HIGHLY recommend Victor Bodden.

Belize I personally wouldn't do anything except a Carnival Tour. We had chosen the ruins and river tour. It was HOT, as in really HOT and were told the ruins would be hotter and very high humidity. Due to my medical limits it was recommend by the people doing the loading of buses that I not go. Carnival refunded our excursion fee and we happily stayed on the boat enjoying the less crowded boat.

We are going to for sure have to look into the personal tour. Everyone has mentioned that company!!

I would love the ruins I just don't know if I can stomach the getting there.

Thank you for the info !!

Out last trip in Belize we did snorkeling :) it was good but I kick myself to this day for not doing the ruins... so our next go around in Aug, I am going to the ruins.. period lol

There is an awesome restaurant close to pier where you sign your name on the walls.. and close to that you can make your own chocolate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out last trip in Belize we did snorkeling :) it was good but I kick myself to this day for not doing the ruins... so our next go around in Aug, I am going to the ruins.. period lol

There is an awesome restaurant close to pier where you sign your name on the walls.. and close to that you can make your own chocolate :)

If you want to see authentic and well restored and preserved ruins in Belize, the longer trips to Lamanai and Xanantunich are heads and shoulders worth it over the closer Altun Ha (although the River Wallace part of that tour is interesting).

The structures in Altun Ha weren't that tall, the site was small, and the patchwork on the ruins looked slap and dashed. The other two sites are much larger and taller and scalable.

Some posters who have only gone to the one site of Altun Ha say it's lovely, but once you have seen a few, Altun Ha quickly falls to the bottom of the list.

If you want to see authentic and well restored and preserved ruins in Belize, the longer trips to Lamanai and Xanantunich are heads and shoulders worth it over the closer Altun Ha (although the River Wallace part of that tour is interesting).

The structures in Altun Ha weren't that tall, the site was small, and the patchwork on the ruins looked slap and dashed. The other two sites are much larger and taller and scalable.

Some posters who have only gone to the one site of Altun Ha say it's lovely, but once you have seen a few, Altun Ha quickly falls to the bottom of the list.

Yes, I had planned on the larger ones :) I am sure my kids will hate me but too bad.. mom is going lol

Rain will not cancel any excursion....rain is usually fleeting...and it will still be warm! Now, lightening WILL cancel trips....and they will refund you money if there is an electric storm.

Tenders do stop during lightening storms for obvious safety reasons, but the biggest cause of tender cancellations, (and cruise ships securing secure anchor positions, is the wind.

Wind can cause an anchored ship to drift, and if it is near a reef as in Belize or Cayman, the anchor chain can do serious damage to that reef. Wind kicks up waves, and many tender boats begin to bounce, making the ride to/from shore uncomfortable or unsafe.

As a Captain, this is not really true. The Captain will know the wind and sea state prior to setting an anchor. If the Capt. felt it was not safe to secure an anchor, they would abandon the port. I agree on the tenders, as wind and seas can make tenders uncomfortable. It is kind of odd to me when a Capt. makes a decision to keep the guests safe, and they are mad at CCL for missing a port. There are no conspiracy theories of keeping the guests on board to spend more money. CCL's mission is to keep their guests happy and safe.

As a Captain, this is not really true. The Captain will know the wind and sea state prior to setting an anchor. If the Capt. felt it was not safe to secure an anchor, they would abandon the port. I agree on the tenders, as wind and seas can make tenders uncomfortable. It is kind of odd to me when a Capt. makes a decision to keep the guests safe, and they are mad at CCL for missing a port. There are no conspiracy theories of keeping the guests on board to spend more money. CCL's mission is to keep their guests happy and safe.

A Carnival ship's anchor chain damaged several hundred feet of reef off Grand Cayman.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2043

There are many more accounts similar to this as well as threads on Cruise Critic. It is easy to search these stories out. Google is your friend.

I would love to snorkel. I think:)

We might have to go with the ruins though because everyone says how great they are !

I for sure want to sign my name on the wall so we will look into that !!

I agree! If we go we might as well go big!!

Yes, I had planned on the larger ones :) I am sure my kids will hate me but too bad.. mom is going lol

Eh mine might not be to happy either but I bet it'll be worth it !!

I would love to snorkel. I think:)

We might have to go with the ruins though because everyone says how great they are !

I for sure want to sign my name on the wall so we will look into that !!

We snorkeled at all 3 locations but Roatan had the BEST snorkeling. We took a catamaran out and went deep! It was so beautiful and super clear. I would do that again in a heart beat. Honduras was our favorite place.

If I can remember or locate the restaurant, I will let you know!

Tenders do stop during lightening storms for obvious safety reasons, but the biggest cause of tender cancellations, (and cruise ships securing secure anchor positions, is the wind.

Wind can cause an anchored ship to drift, and if it is near a reef as in Belize or Cayman, the anchor chain can do serious damage to that reef. Wind kicks up waves, and many tender boats begin to bounce, making the ride to/from shore uncomfortable or unsafe.

The more I hear the less I wanna be tendered anywhere 😭

As a Captain, this is not really true. The Captain will know the wind and sea state prior to setting an anchor. If the Capt. felt it was not safe to secure an anchor, they would abandon the port. I agree on the tenders, as wind and seas can make tenders uncomfortable. It is kind of odd to me when a Capt. makes a decision to keep the guests safe, and they are mad at CCL for missing a port. There are no conspiracy theories of keeping the guests on board to spend more money. CCL's mission is to keep their guests happy and

Thanks for the advice:)