Does this sound fair?

MotherofTrips

Based on the additional info... you said it currently costs $500 for your daughter. By moving her to a second cabin, she will cost $1100. The friend will also cost $1100. You have triplets, two girls and a boy. Your second girl will likely sleep in the second cabin.

So I would take the total cost of the cabin ($2200), divide by three, and charge the friend $733.

I get that you don't want to provide too many details, but is the friend 18 or still a minor? If she is a minor wouldn't she be on your credit card for her key card account? How are you going to handle drinks, excursions, specialty meals, games, etc. Whatever you decide, you really need to clearly communicate this with the friend or her parents in advance.

I think it's very nice of you to let this friend come on your family vacation. Curious as to why only one of your kids gets to bring a friend, even though they are all the same age?

I haven't decided if I am going to do this. My Triplets will be 15 when we sail. It's hard enough keeping track of them let alone another. It's a big responsibility having another teenager to watch after.

We are also traveling with another family that has kids as well. As a matter of fact they are friends with my daughter that wants to bring the other friend too. This friend of hers is a "cruiser" and had invited my daughter in on of hers but the cost was going to be too much (Easter week). This teenager of mine is a little more high maintenance than the others ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have an ocean view family cabin for my family of 5. My daughter wants her friend to come along Which would require me to have 2 rooms. I am getting 3rd and 4th guest free in the cabin I have booked. So here is my question, is it fair to ask her friend to pay the full fare for guest 2 on the second cabin? This switch would still be costing me $500 more out of my pocket.

Have you considered telling your daughter no?

Have you spoken to the other girl's parents (I assume your daughter's friend is a girl)? Maybe they don't want their daughter going.

I haven't decided if I am going to do this. My Triplets will be 15 when we sail. It's hard enough keeping track of them let alone another. It's a big responsibility having another teenager to watch after.

We are also traveling with another family that has kids as well. As a matter of fact they are friends with my daughter that wants to bring the other friend too. This friend of hers is a "cruiser" and had invited my daughter in on of hers but the cost was going to be too much (Easter week). This teenager of mine is a little more high maintenance than the others ! Lol

Let me give you an out. NCL is not going to let you book minors in a cabin by themselves. There has to be an adult in each cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414380

Have you considered telling your daughter no?

Have you spoken to the other girl's parents (I assume your daughter's friend is a girl)? Maybe they don't want their daughter going.

[emoji23] My first response was No. But then I agreed to look into it if it wasn't going to cost me too much extra. As I mentioned before I got a great deal in this cruise (main reason why my husband agreed so quickly to go as we just were on the Breakaway June 2016. I haven't talked to her mom yet about this (but apparently my daughter mentioned it). I only spoke to her when she had invited my daughter on a cruise that I had to say no to.

Let me give you an out. NCL is not going to let you book minors in a cabin by themselves. There has to be an adult in each cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414380

I thought that if they shared an adjoining room it could be done. I don't know if Ocean family rooms have connecting cabins. I know balcony rooms do bit again the cost would be higher to upgrade

Actually I was perfectly fine with the arrangements the way they were.

I am not trying to benefit from the situation, if anything it is just costing me more.

I understand that, I hope I didn't say you were trying to benefit from the situation. But you will benefit from it, which is why it is reasonable for you to pay more (as you said yourself: "I am ok with paying the additional $500 as. It will give my husband and I more room and privacy.") I was responding to the poster who has said a couple of times in this thread that you should make the friend pay the entire difference between the old and new bookings (i.e. $1600 or $1700).

But it sounds more and more like you would prefer to keep things the way they were, without the friend. Listen carefully and I think you will hear a collective sigh of relief from all the participants in this thread! :p

I thought that if they shared an adjoining room it could be done. I don't know if Ocean family rooms have connecting cabins. I know balcony rooms do bit again the cost would be higher to upgrade

They made DH and I book in separate cabins, and we have connecting balconies. Of course we can sleep in the same cabin, but we are not getting the best bang for our buck with the UBP promo.

OP I hope your DD didn't talk to her friend about this yet. I would want to pat that much more just for my child to bring a friend, especially with same age siblings. Dd20 asked to bring a friend on our next cruise, I almost said yes, but then decided she could just hang out with ds19.

What happens if you book the friend, and she can no longer come, or they have a falling out? And it's after final payment?

I understand that, I hope I didn't say you were trying to benefit from the situation. But you will benefit from it, which is why it is reasonable for you to pay more (as you said yourself: "I am ok with paying the additional $500 as. It will give my husband and I more room and privacy.") I was responding to the poster who has said a couple of times in this thread that you should make the friend pay the entire difference between the old and new bookings (i.e. $1600 or $1700).

But it sounds more and more like you would prefer to keep things the way they were, without the friend. Listen carefully and I think you will hear a collective sigh of relief from all the participants in this thread! :p

I would never even consider making them pay the difference. I do realize that even just having one daughter not sharing the bathroom would be well worth $500. [emoji23].

My other two staying in my room only costs me $168 each After I thought about it I really shouldn't have my son sleeping in their room so forget the privacy now [emoji33].

So in reality having my daughter and her friend just splits room would probably be the most fair. Just not sure I am going to do it.

I appreciate everyone's responses. It is always good to hear other takes on your situation.

My other possibility is booking my one daughter in our friends second cabin and upgrading to a balcony to be closer to them. I know I am thinking way to into it. Still a year away.

I would never even consider making them pay the difference. I do realize that even just having one daughter not sharing the bathroom would be well worth $500. [emoji23].

My other two staying in my room only costs me $168 each After I thought about it I really shouldn't have my son sleeping in their room so forget the privacy now [emoji33].

So in reality having my daughter and her friend just splits room would probably be the most fair. Just not sure I am going to do it.

I appreciate everyone's responses. It is always good to hear other takes on your situation.

My other possibility is booking my one daughter in our friends second cabin and upgrading to a balcony to be closer to them. I know I am thinking way to into it. Still a year away.

Some people here will suggest you book it with an adult in each cabin then switch. The problem with that is do you want the liability of violating NCL rules if something were to happen to your daughter's friend?

Some people here will suggest you book it with an adult in each cabin then switch. The problem with that is do you want the liability of violating NCL rules if something were to happen to your daughter's friend?

We are a family of 7. Every single time I have booked two cabins, the PC always says that booking the adults in different cabins is a formality, and NCL doesn't care where people sleep. DCL also. It sounds pretty scripted.

We are a family of 7. Every single time I have booked two cabins, the PC always says that booking the adults in different cabins is a formality, and NCL doesn't care where people sleep. DCL also. It sounds pretty scripted.

Oh, yeah that's great if nothing happens, but if it does...

Actually I was perfectly fine with the arrangements the way they were. This friend had invited her to go on a cruise with them Easter Week. He cost was going to be almost as much as I am paying for my family of 5 to go on his vacation so I said no.

I am not trying to benefit from the situation, if anything it is just costing me more. It's not hat my daughter needs to HAVE a friend. She has a brother and sister the same age! Lol

I think I would price it as the total difference it would cost me to book the extra cabin and take the extra person. I mean, the child's parents didn't have a problem asking your child to go on a cruise that would cost you for one person nearly as much as this cruise is costing for five. Even if a third person stays in the cabin, that wasn't your original intention.

Edited to add- Actually I would probably just say "no" because your poor son will be outnumbered[emoji3] and for the other reasons you've already stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by edawn

I have an ocean view family cabin for my family of 5. My daughter wants her friend to come along Which would require me to have 2 rooms. I am getting 3rd and 4th guest free in the cabin I have booked. So here is my question, is it fair to ask her friend to pay the full fare for guest 2 on the second cabin? This switch would still be costing me $500 more out of my pocket.

IF I was going to charge the friend, I would divide the total amount by all passengers in that cabin.

Another thing to consider... you said that you are already travelling with another family, and that your children (including daughter who wants to bring a friend) are friends with this family's children. Are the other family's children also friends with your daughter's friend? Could be a bit awkward, was supposed to be a trip with your two families and then there is this other person there.

But I get it... the friend's family was nice enough to invite your daughter into a cruise so you feel it is only nice/fair to offer the same in return. I would probably also ask your other two children what they think about this.. they could be happy their sister has a friend so they don't have to be with her all the time, they could be upset they won't see her as much, they could be jealous that they don't get to bring a friend too, etc. Not sure what your kids' dynamic is, but something I would consider. For me my family would come first, and if having a friend, even a good friend, would somehow upset the family dynamic and the family bonding, then I would think twice.

No, it is not fair. Either charge her her share of the cost of the cabin she is staying in or don't let her come. Probably, it would have been better not to invite her in the first place.

If, as the guest's parent, you came to me with this extra $500 request I would likely call the whole thing off. It shows bad taste to invite someone on vacation and then make them pay your daughter's fare.

I am actually stunned at how many people think this is acceptable.

Good idea. :)

Whatever you decide have a good cruise.

I am ok with paying the additional $500 as. It will give my husband and I more room and privacy. I just felt guilty charging them full fare when 3rd and 4th passenger in room would be free with that promo

Nothing is ever free and neither is a third or fourth person there are still device charges port fees etc. It is not unreasonable to expect the child's parents to pay their fare share.

No, it is not fair. Either charge her her share of the cost of the cabin she is staying in or don't let her come. Probably, it would have been better not to invite her in the first place.

If, as the guest's parent, you came to me with this extra $500 request I would likely call the whole thing off. It shows bad taste to invite someone on vacation and then make them pay your daughter's fare.

I am actually stunned at how many people think this is acceptable.

I agree! We have taken a friend of my daughter's on the last 4 cruises, and we paid for it. We invited, we pay. Looks like that just us though! :eek:

I agree! We have taken a friend of my daughter's on the last 4 cruises, and we paid for it. We invited, we pay. Looks like that just us though! :eek:

After reading this it got me thinking that I guess it really depends on what the understanding was when you invited the friend. Did you invite her because you thought it was free? Did you invite her as a guest? were her parents expecting to kick in for her share?

After reading this it got me thinking that I guess it really depends on what the understanding was when you invited the friend. Did you invite her because you thought it was free? Did you invite her as a guest? were her parents expecting to kick in for her share?

Free? No, definitely not free. They get their own cabin. I'm not cramming 4 into one cabin lol This is just us. I understand every family is different. I was raised this way, so we do it too.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

Nope, me, too. I let my daughter invite a friend to go to Disneyland with us last year and I paid for everything. Wouldn't have let her invite her otherwise.

That said, I have no problem with the OP's charging the child that may be invited as long it's totally up front from the get go. It's up to them. OP sounds like she has a good heart and is just trying to figure out what is right and fair. :D

There is a big difference between actively inviting your child's friend and your child wanting their friend to join you on vacation.

If I invited my child's friend on a vacation I would pay for it. If I let my child invite a friend on a vacation I would also pay for it. But if my child wanted their friend to join us on the vacation I would not automatically consider that to be an invitation from me.

If my child wanted their friend on the vacation, either the friend and his/her parents would pay their share, or my child would be free to get a part time job and pay for their friend.

Edited by DirtyDawg