Cant decide flight time leaving Miami what would you do?

ncarolina111

Leaving Miami and return flight options: Flight is with AA. leave 9:30am or leave 3:26pm. There is a $400 difference in price for 2 people. I booked the 3:26 and have 24 hours to change or cancel and that particular flight is almost full. We do self assist just not sure it is worth missing flight and if I chose earlier flight I know the next flight is already full and would have to wait till night to possibly catch next flight. But dang 400 difference ugh.

I just got off of the Glory Saturday with a 12:31 flight...I was so scared when I booked it. BUT, we did self assist and was off the ship by 7:30 and to the airport by 7:45 and at our terminal by 8AM. (We flew Delta) I personally think you can make it, but I would be scared to try it. Lol. As stated before, the first mess up you're flight is gone without you.

Have you tried to see what Delta has available?

I did check on Delta and even Southwest out of FLL. Southwest flight left at 10:25 so that would be pushing it cause gotta get from Miami to Fll. Delta does not have non stop flights but even checked with 2 hour lay over leaving miami at 10:10 (after that time price same as aa with longer layovers).

Airlines should know to make flight a little later say 11:30AM instead of 9:30 AM ha ha!!! Have cruised 25+ cruises and this is first time I have encountered flight difference this high and plane almost full unless I spent more to do first class.

Guess I will look for cheaper motel near the metromover to save on airline tickets. Just found out the weekend we will be there Jan 28 is the Miami marathon so rooms not cheap and they are filling up.

Any suggestions on motel walking distance to metromover that is not in downtown that may be cheaper. It does not have to be a resort just a place to stay and ride metromover to bayside.

Problems problems ha ha!! Fortunate we can still travel.

Edited by ncarolina111

As long as nothing went wrong you should be able to make it no problem.

We are flying back from Miami on AA in January also. The prices were crazy. Especially Delta, who I'd prefer. Ended up deciding to just book a room for the night and fly out next morning. Less stress and gives me time to organize luggage before flight.

People are at the gate by 8AM doing self assist. You would still have an hour to wait.... As long as the cruise isn't late, etc.

But that's life, isn't it? Missed connecting flights before because my first flight was late. It seems unlikely you will be late. Just get down there at 6:30AM to be one of the first off with self assist. Then you just walk right through, hop in a cab and you are at the airport very early.

I take it the morning flight is $400 cheaper?

Wish I could stay in miami that night ship comes in on a Sunday and have to be back at work Monday am. Good idea though. My hopper app says to wait to book BUT since plane is almost full except for additional charge seats. That's why I booked last night and have till 7pm tonight to cancel but leaning towards not taking the chance even though I want to. I could be back at home before the later flight even leaves miami. If this is only problem I am facing right now then I am ok with whatever decision I make.

Wish I could stay in miami that night ship comes in on a Sunday and have to be back at work Monday am. Good idea though. My hopper app says to wait to book BUT since plane is almost full except for additional charge seats. That's why I booked last night and have till 7pm tonight to cancel but leaning towards not taking the chance even though I want to. I could be back at home before the later flight even leaves miami. If this is only problem I am facing right now then I am ok with whatever decision I make.

YOLO...Lol! Just get insurance and if you miss your flight hopefully you can get the later flight back home if there's an open seat available. haha. $400 cheaper I'd have to take the earlier flight. That's half of another cruise. LOL! Just be ready when they open the gangway, find a cab as soon as you walk outside, and check in with Delta with the folks on the outside of the airport. The inside tends to be a little longer lines. I think you will be fine.

Leaving Miami and return flight options: Flight is with AA. leave 9:30am or leave 3:26pm. There is a $400 difference in price for 2 people. I booked the 3:26 and have 24 hours to change or cancel and that particular flight is almost full. We do self assist just not sure it is worth missing flight and if I chose earlier flight I know the next flight is already full and would have to wait till night to possibly catch next flight. But dang 400 difference ugh.

I am now Diamond, so I've done many priority walkoffs in MIA, caught a cab to the airport, and with Global Entry/TSA pre check, I can usually zip through the airport security rather quickly that early in the morning.

The earliest I've ever booked a flight is for 11AM though. I'll ask at the airport ticket counter if there is a seat on an earlier flight, and if I can either get a ticket or do standby with my one piece of carry on luggage. Sometimes they will accomodate my request, sometimes they can't.

My standard comment when a question like yours is posted:

You have doubts or you would not be asking.

Do you really want to spend the cruise worrying if you will make your flight?

Be aware you are booking outside of recommended guidelines so your insurance will not cover the missed flight.

I personally wouldn't do it. There are too many things that could effect the ships arrival time and a accident on the freeway could also cause havoc.

But it is certainly possible to make that early flight. Miami port seems to debark quickly and the cab ride is relatively short. I will say that I have always been able to get through security at Miami without long lines.

Have a safe and uneventful cruise.

I personally would not book the 9:30am, ugh, I can't imagine stressing trying to catch that flight. But that's me. lol

Where are you flying to? Southwest doesn't even have a connecting flight to your destination that would work? How about JetBlue, they fly out of FLL.

Definitely would do the early flight. Just did it last Saturday and I always book the early ones. I was off the ship and at my gate in under an hour and still had plenty of time to spare. I did self assist. You can read my experience here (Post #60). It's short but to the point http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414173

Edited by firemanbobswife

looks like more than half people would take chance on 9:30 flight for the 400.00 difference in price. Still so confused Hours ticking gotta decide soon. Thanks for input just dont know yet.

I got off Glory this last Saturday (Splendor was right behind us and already disembarked as well). I was home by 8AM and I'm 30 minutes further than the airport. I also wasn't one of the first ones off the ship and I had to walk to the garage, pay, get my truck, drive back to the ship and pick up my family.

I texted my friend who was on the same ship, and she was at her gate already by 8AM at MIA. (she commented on this thread too :))

If the ship is late, you could miss your flight. What are the chances of the ship being substantially late? I don't know. Flights get canceled, delayed, car accidents, whatever.... things happen. You can't always plan expecting this. As long as the ship is on time (it should be) then there is no reason you can't rather easily make a 9:30AM flight with an hour to spare.

Edited by BNBR

Flying miami to Rdu. I cannot find my reservation on aa to change it to earlier time. I got email with confirmation last night with record locator info. But when I log in do not see it and had something come up which prevented me from calling so guess I will be on 330 flight which is ok